Polyurethane tubing for air lines

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Can polyurethane tubing be used for air lines on the truck ? The tubing is more flexible and is easier to route. But is it save to use ? Is it DOT approved ? Any thoughts out there ?

Looking forward to your thoughts,        Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have a " inficon whisper" unit which works pretty well. Someone posted a link to it recently in another thread......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 minutes ago, MsChrissi said:

Nice! how sensitive is it?

It is pretty sensitive. I recommend a better headset than comes with it.....but it can find leaks soap and water cannot.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

33 minutes ago, MsChrissi said:

how about Bose noise cancelling aviator's headset? =) 

That would be cheating.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I used a system similar to an Infiicon to find vacuum leaks for resin infusion/vacuum bagging epoxies.  I wish I had kept it for all the little truck leaks.

Al- Stay with the nylon DOT rated tubing.  The polyurethane tubing probably isn't pressure rated for the truck system working pressure.  Do you have a link to what you want to use?  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

back to the original question. Under NO circumstances would I use any item on any brake system not approved by the OEM, or sourced from a reputable aftermarket supplier. The material used in the brake lines is critical, in terms of it's construction, size and other engineering qualities. Once upon a time brake systems used copper tubing seemingly a pretty stout product. But was discovered that the vibrations of a mobile application caused cracking and all kinds of failures. The thickness of the wall of the brakeline is designed to mate perfectly with the fittings used in the same system, and is made of nylon, or a combination of braid and nylon depending on the application. 

A major OEM and aftermarket supplier:

https://www.parker.com/literature/Parflex/B-Parflex PDF and Images/4660-1120.pdf

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the answers. I will stick with the DOT tubing. One more question. How does someone get the curl out of the tubing ? I understand that there will always be some type of curl to the tubing. But when you open up a bag of tubing the tubing wants to stay the size of the package. I need to run the tubing from the cab about 25' to get to my hitch. Is there an easier way to get this tight curl out ?

Thank you for any help,    Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Put a broom handle through the centre of the loop. Place the broom onto an opened step-ladder, one end on a rung, the other end on a spreader bar on the back side. Pull the end from between the "A-frame" of the legs. Allow the roll to rotate on the broom handle. It won't take all the twist out, but it will allow a clean pull, followed by lots of Ty-Wraps to hold it in position.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 4 weeks later...

Inficon Whisper.... OMG this thing should have been called the Leak Whisperer. It paid for itself in it's first use, found three significant leaks very quickly, one just needed a tighten up the other two we replaced the fittings. It also gives you a sense of security knowing where the leaks are not.

It can read you gently rubbing dry fingertips at an arm's length in a noisy room.

Great on aircraft engines for determining cylinder leak down test cause, sniff in the carb, sniff in the exhaust pipe or sniff in the oil fill will tell you if you are leaking from respective valves or the rings.

Wish one of our old Hard of hearing Mechanics would have had that tool. I told him the dash had a big air leak in it. Got back in the truck next day. Note showed he fixed the leak... Started the truck up and valve was still leaking. He tightened up a fitting that was not leaking.

It was sure nice when he retired the next month.

Pete

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 8:23 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

But very effective...

I have a pair of cheap Sony headphones that work fine with mine.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, Jack Mayer said:

It is pretty sensitive. I recommend a better headset than comes with it.....but it can find leaks soap and water cannot.

My unit came with KOSS headphones. Took a few moments to figure it out but a great tool because with all the ringing in my ears .......,.,

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

The Bose noise cancelling headphones are a perfect match for the leak detector.  However, leak detection does not require that expensive of an headphone.  Living in a small space, like a 5th wheel, does benefit from noise cancelling earphones.  My wife can sit near me watching a TV show while I watch Hulu programs on my iPad.  Using the noise cancelling Bose headphones, I hear litttle of her programs.  I can also use the noise cancelling feature alone and read while she watches the documentary "Extra Loud Explosions of World War II."

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Archived