Valuables and Vital Documents

My wife and I are getting into the serious business of downsizing before I retire on June 30. In addition to our Southwind, we will be keeping our small (750 sq ft) vacation cottage, which has VERY limited storage space. We've been assuming that we'd rent a storage unit and keep important papers, seasonal clothing (we are in New Jersey), and some special pieces of furniture that we may want in a future stick & brick house. But, we've found that storage units in New Jersey are $$$!

So, full-timers, where do you keep:

1) Vital documents such as previous year's tax returns, car titles, birth certificates?

2) Valuables such as good jewelry or small heirlooms you don't want to carry but you don't want to part with?

Jeff

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

We launched from South Carolina so costs are very different from NJ. We have a 10 x 20 climate controlled storage unit that runs us a little over $100/month. We kept just enough "stuff" (I'm a George Carlin fan) to make us feel at home in a 1-bedroom something-or-other if health issues were to force us off the road. Other than our wedding bands, we don't own any valuable jewelry, etc. Seven years' worth of tax returns are stored electronically (PDF files) on three different backup devices. Birth and marriage certificates, passports, vehicle titles, blank checks, etc., are in a small fire safe behind the theater seats in the RV (the corner farthest away from any appliances or fuel source). We have found it necessary to have these documents with us rather than in storage - especially since 9/11 with new requirements for obtaining/renewing drivers' licenses or traveling abroad. Just recently, we needed the title to the truck when we traded vehicles unexpectedly - something that would not have been possible had the title been back in storage somewhere.

I would advise against storing anything of value or importance in a vacation home or cottage - these structures are prime targets for career burglars in the off season(s). If your future plans don't include settling back down in NJ or the northeast, you could pack the things you want to keep, put them in a POD, and have them moved to and stored in a southern or southwestern state where the costs are lower. 

As we evolved into a minimalist life-style, we realized that we actually used about 15% of the clothing that was in our walk-in closet in the stix 'n brix. We now carry clothing for all seasons with us (the off-season items are stored in four plastic tubs underneath the bed and rotated out seasonally). We've been comfortable from single to triple digits. It's amazing how little we really need and periodically make a "Goodwill run" with items we haven't used in the past four seasons.

If you search this forum and RV-Dreams.com, you will find many threads related to this topic - often titled something like "The Purge," "Downsizing," etc. Here's one example:

RV-Dreams: The Purge

Good luck and safe travels!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

11 yrs and we still are weeding out things.  Plus those pickups along the way become dated. :)

We have a small fire proof safe in the MH basement where we store the few documents we need.  Otherwise everything is electronic.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We still have a S&B in our home town and we keep most of that stuff in a Safety Deposit box at our local bank. We keep what we think we need while on the road in a fireproof safe in the RV.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Having gone through a wildfire I can tell you a fireproof safe is false security they are good for a very small short fire. Everyone that had one was surprised when they opened them. Ashes was all anyone found. We have a folder with important stuff and a copy off site. We have the folder where we can grab it on the way out the door. We also have a bugout bag that we will grab.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

When you really get down to it you don't "need" nearly as much as you think you do. Our important documents. originals or copies, are mostly in our bugout bags because if we need to bug out we'll want them with us. 

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We carried document with us in a so-called 'fireproof' box which, when you see how fast a RV goes up in flames really doesn't amount to much.  However, we do keep it handy by the front door and could grab it fast.

We carried all our season's clothes. We just downsized them. You really don't need a lot. They all fit in our closets; none were stored.

You're correct in that a storage facility for 'stuff' is very expensive. We didn't have one.

Do you have family that you could leave your jewelry with?  Or a bank safe deposit box?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have converted the computer desk drawer into a file cabinet which has all of our documents including every tax form ever filed, titles, and birth cert. These documents don't take up much space in a file drawer. Since we are full timing, the wife has all of her jewelry with us, the thought was if she didn't have it to wear, no sense even owning it. As far as furniture, we left it all with our son and he can deal with it as he see's fit, he bought our house too. We figured in the end he would be forced to deal with it then anyway. Someday we will probably purchase another house and will cross the bridge on how to refurnish it then. In this phase of our life we realize material things are not that important any more.

Greg

20 hours ago, accumack said:

Having gone through a wildfire I can tell you a fireproof safe is false security they are good for a very small short fire. Everyone that had one was surprised when they opened them. Ashes was all anyone found. We have a folder with important stuff and a copy off site. We have the folder where we can grab it on the way out the door. We also have a bugout bag that we will grab.

True  fire proof safes are marked as to what they can withstand. You get what you paid for.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

7 minutes ago, kayakbob said:

When I think about " valuable papers " I think of docs. that I might need in hand , right now.  All of which might include passports , cash , truck and trailer title , check book , .

That is all , I think , what did I leave out ?

Those lists have become much shorter with the wide acceptance of electronic documents. In ours we do not carry the vehicle titles but copies of them with a son to overnight them to us if needed. We do keep a copy of our dog's papers as not all parks or border crossings accept electronic. We also carry insurance documents, with a backup set in the safety deposit box at our son's. (Insurance companies will supply more than one "origional" set.) 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I also carry health insurance card and information on medicines I take.

I have a separate card holder that keeps all my discount camping IDs, including my AARP card, handy in one place.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Having important papers in storage does little good if you are across the country and need them.

How many important papers do you really have?  Birth, marriage certificates, maybe wills, car and RV titles.  What else?

If you are going to travel fulltime, you should already by handling your banking, finances, and tax returns electronically.  Medical records can be electronic but in some cases you will just need paper.  Scan and then destroy the paper copies.  In fact there is little you need that cannot be scanned.

But do NOT put your important information on a thumb drive as most places will not plug your drive into their computer. My thumb drive is only for rebuilding my computer if it crashes.

Linda Sand

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, Second Chance said:

As we evolved into a minimalist life-style, we realized that we actually used about 15% of the clothing that was in our walk-in closet in the stix 'n brix. We now carry clothing for all seasons with us (the off-season items are stored in four plastic tubs underneath the bed and rotated out seasonally).

Agreed.  As I'm the one who has the laundry chore, I put our clean clothes in the front of the closet.  When deciding to downsize, I bought a big fat hanger and hung it in the front.  After 3 months, any clothes still "behind" the hanger had obviously not been worn and were thus given to Goodwill.  Then I moved the hanger to the very front again and started the process again, but with a 2-month time limit.  Just kept repeating, and decreasing the time limit, until I got to the point where our entire in-season wardrobe is worn and rotated about every 2 weeks.  Only exceptions are a few items with great sentimental value and a nice suit/dress to wear for the random wedding or funeral.  Only have "summer" clothes and "winter" clothes, so the off-season clothes are stored in one plastic tub for each of us.  Couldn't be an easier system.  Only real rule is that if you buy a new piece of clothing then you have to get rid of an older piece of clothing, and that prevents "clothes-creep".

Cheers,

Ken

Lucky for us, all the weddings and funerals we have attended in the 14 years of fulltiming have been casual dress.  Maybe that is a West Coast thing, but is is welcome.  I suspect I do not fit into the suit I have hung up under plastic.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 3/28/2017 at 8:10 AM, Bill Joyce said:

Lucky for us, all the weddings and funerals we have attended in the 14 years of fulltiming have been casual dress.  Maybe that is a West Coast thing, but is is welcome.  I suspect I do not fit into the suit I have hung up under plastic.  

My fear, exactly, Bill - but I needed the black sport coat and charcoal slacks for my dad's funeral about seven years ago - and everyone else over 25 was in a coat and tie. They're still in a garment bag in the closet (the coat and slacks - not everyone over 25...). 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 3/26/2017 at 2:35 PM, sandsys said:

But do NOT put your important information on a thumb drive as most places will not plug your drive into their computer. My thumb drive is only for rebuilding my computer if it crashes.

Linda Sand

Office Max takes thumb drives.  We've had them print out a manual and bind it.  Also have had them print out larger plot plans.  I can't imagine how they could NOT take thumbdrives if they want to do business.

Conversely, if their equipment is infected, then it could be bad for our side.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

7 hours ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

Office Max takes thumb drives.  We've had them print out a manual and bind it.  Also have had them print out larger plot plans.  I can't imagine how they could NOT take thumbdrives if they want to do business.

It's putting medical and other emergency information on a thumb drive that can be a problem. I doubt any hospital is going to plug your thumb drive into their computer.

Linda Sand

Archived