Update tip for Android phone owners

docj

Because I have one of Verizon's unlimited plans I have our phones set for auto update on cellular since I rarely connect them to wifi.  Because of an article I read this morning about interesting new features that Google is rolling out I checked to see if I had the most recent Google app.  To my surprise I didn't, despite the auto-update setting.   I then proceeded to manually update the app only to discover that there was a pop-up warning about the size of the update (~60MB) and the only way to bypass that screen was to physically uncheck a link that said "update via wifi only".  In other words this app was itself overriding the phone's "auto update" setting!  Once I unchecked the box and clicked on PROCEED the update went smoothly.  

This occurred on my Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0 Nougat.  (I checked my wife's S4 running Android 5.0 Lollipop and there wasn't any such problem; a new Google app was available and it loaded normally).  

I'm just passing this along to alert others; I could have gone a long time without that update if I hadn't checked.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Samsung S7 Edge just updated from Marshmallow to Nugert. It's was a breeze to block unwanted calls in Marshmallow. Not so now, it has become a multi-step process. I reinstalled Call Filter to make life a bit simpler. Call Filter is no longer in the Play Store search results. I needed to access it via my library.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

20 hours ago, SCClockDr said:

Samsung S7 Edge just updated from Marshmallow to Nugert. It's was a breeze to block unwanted calls in Marshmallow. Not so now, it has become a multi-step process.

It all depends on what you define as a multi-step process:

1. In "Recent Calls" highlight call you want blocked--that brings up menu of Call, Message, Details--Touch Details
  2. On next screen touch, "three blocks in upper right corner--from popup menu select Block Number

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On my apple phone I have had it refuse to do an update to an app unless I connect to wi-fi, if its a large update.  Then I have to trick it, by connecting to  my hot spot to override it. Frustrating.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

On 3/26/2017 at 6:20 PM, docj said:

It all depends on what you define as a multi-step process:

1. In "Recent Calls" highlight call you want blocked--that brings up menu of Call, Message, Details--Touch Details
  2. On next screen touch, "three blocks in upper right corner--from popup menu select Block Number

That is how it now works. Verizon pushed another update. When I called CS they guided me to an 8 step process. The latest is not ideal but workable.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Archived