Chad Heiser

My Solar Installs

32 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

I looked to see if I could find it, but did not:)!

What is the Magnum Hybrid 3012 'at idle' draw? 

I had planned to add a dedicated fridge inverter during our install, but after checking the MS2812 vs the unit for the fridge, I was not really saving enough AH draw warrant doing so. (Plus, the DW has shows she records late at night and early in the AM, so I would have had to have another unit for at least the DirecTV Genie too.:)!)

Your battery bank is sized 20+% higher then ours - and we have plenty of capacity to cover the higher idle draw (not really idle, but using that term) for overnight times. (Day time, the majority of the time the Solar kicks out plenty to cover all coach power needs, except for AC.)

Or, did you and others that have the dedicated Fridge inverter, do so to cover contingency? The way you have your's set up, any source can feed the fridge. So if something did happen and knock out one of your inverters, at least you can keep the vital ice make functioning (We can be civilized as we travel!). Was if more for 'just in case' that you added the second inverter? 

The reason I ask, is as I mentioned when we do Phase II of our system, I've been kicking around adding a second unit. The Hybrid 3012 came out a few months after I went with the MS2812. I could see an option where I'd add the Hybrid 3012, and retain the MS2812 as a redundant unit. (The Hybrid can save you money when on a meter in a park.)

TIA,

Smitty

I didn't add the second inverter because I was worried about the "idle" draw of the 3012.  I did it for two reasons.  The primary reason was for use while on the road.  I do not want all my electronics (TV's, satellite boxes, stereos, dishwasher, clothes washer, microwave, etc.) powered while my rig is bouncing down the highway.  I see no reason to take the chance of creating an issue with sensitive items in a moving environment.  I am probably being overly cautious on this, but this is my primary reason.  My secondary reason was as a back up to keep the fridge running in boondocking situations where I was trying to conserve as much energy as possible.  For example, multiple days in a row of cloud covered, rainy days where the solar isn't going to be able to keep up with high electrical usage.  In these situations, if I am not using any other 120 volt appliances, why power them with the big inverter when all I really need to do is keep the refrigerator running.  I can turn the big inverter off and use the small inverter to help conserve energy and minimize generator run time.  I kind of look at like my last trailer with the RV type fridge that I would switch to propane and only turn the whole house inverter on when I actually needed it (not exactly the same circumstances, but similar).  Again, I am probably being overly conservative here, but I figured I was building a system from scratch so why not do it the way I wanted to do it.  It also didn't hurt that I was able to source the small inverter for about half price, so why not. ;)

Edited by Chad Heiser

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

It also didn't hurt that I was able to source the small inverter for about half price, so why not. ;)

Do tell....

21 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

Do tell....

I found an open box deal on e-bay (actually two of them - one for me and one for a friend).  There are deals out there, you just have to be patient and willing to hunt for them.

That's the one! I think Chad found them for about $15 less but either way it is way below discount retail. We added the transfer switch and the remote switch to finish the installation.

That's it as Tahoe Shark said.  They seem to be nice little inverters and are perfect for running the residential fridge (especially with the accompanying automatic transfer switch from Magnum and the remote on/off switch from Magnum).