More AC issues

rdickinson

A few weeks ago I posted there were problems with one of my roof mount ac/hea tpump units.  There were a variety of recommendations but as it turned out it was the compressor pulling 29 amps or something close.  A new Duotherm 13.5k btu was installed.  The new one is digital the old one was not so a converter was needed and installed inside the in coach air vent.  Evidently all the connections are plug and play so theoretically it should be idiotproof.

The unit cools fine but with the recent cooler weather when it was switched to heat, it didn't work.  After numerous calls and texts to the mobile tech, he said to pull of the shroud and remove  the cover on a module on the non door side of the trailer held on with 2-5/16" hex head screws and flip a switch.

Removed all that was asked to but no switch evident.  Called and texted him several times....no response so back up on the roof again to button it up.

Invoice says model is M - 59136.331

Called the info# for warranty and got forwarded to Camping World.  Spoke to them x2, they were to get back to me within an hour.....still waiting.

Is there an easy fix on this?

There should be a small strip of switches on the pc board. The switch has maybe 6 switch positions on it. They are so small it takes a ball point pen to switch them.

There should be one marked heat. That is the one that I think should be switched. They are just a rocker motion on the switch.

While you are there make sure there is a switching valve on the ac unit. If not then hopefully it has a heat strip.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

Found the switches.  Heatpump rocker switch for zone 2 was off.  Turned off power and switched it on.  Turned on power.  All other switches were on.  Still pumps cold air.  Also now control panel blanks out and shuts off.  Have to turn switch at bottom of control panel off then on to bring it back on.

Turned off power, put rocker back to off, power on, still cold air but panel back to normal.

Have put in a call to one of these online repair services.  We'll see where this goes.

Downloaded and printed thermostat info, went thru the process of re setting it.  Still the "new" ac only spits out cold.  Spoke to a Dometic rep and they figure it is the reversing valve but am waiting for definitive answer.

I provided the model and serial #'s and was told this was made over 6 yrs ago so not sure if that factors into the equation or not... I was over charged.

When I replaced a Dometic duothem AC that was an 05 unit with new one last year I had to replace the units circuit board and re wire a few things with a conversion kit that they told me to order. Instructions were very good. 

It converted the new unit to work with the older thermostat system. 

DIP switches needed to be set as in old unit. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

After 2 days of online support, numerous calls to Duotherm tech support and the help of a good local tech, the unit is running.  The original installer did not test the unit on heat, only cool. 

There are 3 plugs on the back of the new controller, a white 3 pin, blackish round one and a white 6 pin white.  The 3 pin had a yellow wire in the one side but was plugged into an empty socket on the other.  That same yellow had to be moved over and spliced into the yellow in the 6pin.  The T2 wire had to be moved to the t4 in the control box.

In other words, he did a sloppy job.

All running OK now.

Archived