Volvo newer front fender mirrors

MsChrissi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done it,     YET!

But since y'all know a little about composites, the new style mirrors should fit, but you may need to make a "Bed" for them to mate to so they have the right tilt to them.  I haven't ordered any yet but I want to do the same.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Sorry for the multiple postings, something wrong with the forum things that says it choked the first time when it actually did post it.

Yes, far as we can tell the hood looks the same, can't be sure though. We've looked at the kit of parts and they are not too expensive. Was thinking of adding several layers of bidirectional glass to the inside to stiffen things up in that area as well.

That's what I was going to do as well, reinforce the inside.  I want to remove the hood latches and back glass that area as well.  I can see stress cracks on both sides there.

I don't know how much adjustment is in the arms.  Looking at the new style though, the arms are horizontal to the ground.  I'd hate to mount a set to have them looking like....... well I did it!

My issue is most RV parks don't appreciate the sound of an air grinder on Saturday morning!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The new mirrors should fit the gen-1 hood just fine.  If you look at the newer hoods, there's nothing in the way of reinforcing for those mirrors.  If you don't want to pay dealer prices for the genuine Volvo part, Amazon and Advantage Truck Parts both have them.

Here's the Amazon link for the Volvo parts: http://amzn.to/2noH8yv

Link for aftermarket set: http://amzn.to/2noACYG

And here's the one from Advantage: http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/volvo-truck-parts/volvo-truck-hood-mirror-complete-set-black/

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

3 minutes ago, Scrap said:

Guy around us did it a few years ago.  Looks good!

IMG_20130829_103118_396_zps8c617c28.jpg

Scrap,

Something tells me that if there were a conversation on here about a one legged midget stripper, that you would have a photo....lol

Great work!!!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

59 minutes ago, Nuke-E said:

The new mirrors should fit the gen-1 hood just fine.  If you look at the newer hoods, there's nothing in the way of reinforcing for those mirrors.  If you don't want to pay dealer prices for the genuine Volvo part, Amazon and Advantage Truck Parts both have them.

Here's the Amazon link for the Volvo parts: http://amzn.to/2noH8yv

Link for aftermarket set: http://amzn.to/2noACYG

And here's the one from Advantage: http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/volvo-truck-parts/volvo-truck-hood-mirror-complete-set-black/

Wow! thank you! I looked for this about a year ago and it was difficult to track down even the factory mirrors, now all this. And instructions too! thanks.

5 hours ago, bluflame11 said:

Not trying to hijack the thread bit just had a question...

Are the aftermarket mirrors as good of quality as the real volvo ones, or is it better to just to bite the bullet and get them from the volvo dealer? 

Will let you know, ordered a set of the $150 ones .

I bought the aftermarket 2009 ones that they also use on the Cascadia. They were the same quality. Fromm the same company.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

11 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

I bought the aftermarket 2009 ones that they also use on the Cascadia. They were the same quality. Fromm the same company.

Have you mounted them yet? If so, how did it come out? Do they vibrate?

I was hoping that there were some kind of reinforcing backing plate involved, looks like we will have to do that with several layers of composite reinforcement.

They come with a plate. But you can reinforce them better. I did not install them, and I don't think the new owner did them yet. I would reinforce them. They do not vibrate much, based on driving my new truck.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Just to be clear...the 2009 ones are different than the current ones. You will want the current ones, and it will require hood work to fill the holes.  They locate differently.

www.jackdanmayer.com

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 0:19 PM, Nuke-E said:

I'll have to dig for the link, but I've also put a camera pointed down from my hood mirror.  Most valuable camera I have...

I did that as well.  Also put one in the mirror facing back down the passengers side.  it's a fairly wide scan so it allows you to come up to a stop sign at an angle and not try to look thru the passengers side sleeper window to see traffic.

6 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Just to be clear...the 2009 ones are different than the current ones. You will want the current ones, and it will require hood work to fill the holes.  They locate differently.

Yes we assumed that we'd be filling in the old holes. We countersink from both sides, fill and put some touch up paint on it.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, MsChrissi said:

Will let you know, ordered a set of the $150 ones .

MsChrissi,

I would be interested in knowing how your new mirror's turn out. I have the old style mirror on the passenger side of my truck. It would be nice to have mirror's on both sides. If you could post a picture or too after you finished your project  that would be great.

This is just an idea for a backing plate. Why not use some 16 gauge steel or aluminum on the inside of the hood. Try to make this plate twice the size of the area that the mirror mounting plate is covering. That way you will spread the load out over a bigger area.

Good luck with your project,      Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan, we don't have the mirrors here yet but we were hoping that they would come with a steel backing plate. From the pictures it appears you get a rubber gasket but not a plate. I believe the factory uses plates.

To spread the load out we'd prefer fiberglass. The glass we use is typically 0.010" per layer. So to get a 1/8" backing plate it would take 12 layers. The smallest layer would be 1" larger than the base all the way around, each additional layer would be about 1/2" larger. This would all get laid out on HD tin foil largest layer first, wet out as you go and pick up the whole wad and apply it foil included to the area then massaged from the center out to push out the bubbles. Peel off the foil and cover with an oversized layer of thin Dacron. When it cures pull off the Dacron (won't stick) and it will be clean and smooth inside the hood without edges or discontinuities. This technique gives a distributed load without hard points that would cause cracking.

48 minutes ago, MsChrissi said:

Alan, we don't have the mirrors here yet but we were hoping that they would come with a steel backing plate. From the pictures it appears you get a rubber gasket but not a plate. I believe the factory uses plates.

To spread the load out we'd prefer fiberglass. The glass we use is typically 0.010" per layer. So to get a 1/8" backing plate it would take 12 layers. The smallest layer would be 1" larger than the base all the way around, each additional layer would be about 1/2" larger. This would all get laid out on HD tin foil largest layer first, wet out as you go and pick up the whole wad and apply it foil included to the area then massaged from the center out to push out the bubbles. Peel off the foil and cover with an oversized layer of thin Dacron. When it cures pull off the Dacron (won't stick) and it will be clean and smooth inside the hood without edges or discontinuities. This technique gives a distributed load without hard points that would cause cracking.

That sounds like it isn't going to give a bit when you walk into the thing!  I think I whacked my head within 30 minutes of installing the mirror on my truck.

As for the aftermarket mirrors, the one I bought is just fine.  Not noticeably different than the Volvo version.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

18 hours ago, MsChrissi said:

MsChrissi,

Can you please explain more to me about using built up fiberglass for a backing plate. I also want to add the new style mirrors to my truck. I would like to get the best way possible for mounting the mirrors to the truck. I am used to using steel or aluminum. I want to learn.

Thank you for any input,     Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan, if you are going to be anywhere near Lakeland FL in the next two weeks, come to the Sun N Fun airshow and Randi who teaches composites techniques in the workshops will give you the complete rundown in detail. She loves to help people with their projects.  It's good stuff, we built an entire 4 passenger airplane out of this stuff.

Otherwise if you cannot make it to FL or to WI in  late July, you would want to go with epoxy resin (avoid polyester resin), bi-directional cloth and the techniques outlined above. The resin and hardener are available from marine dealers like West Marine who sell "West System" epoxy resin and hardener in quart cans with calibrated pump tops that make dispensing and measuring easy. The materials and techniques learned would be useful for repairing any of the composite components used on Volvos.

I suppose if we ever made it to a rally we could do a demo mirror install and teach this.

Archived