Truck's fuse box

alan0043

Yes, ATM is what you want.  I always assumed it stood for Automotive Terminal Miniature, but I probably made that up in my head in the 90's and now it has been so long I believe it.  I'm not too sure exactly what APM is, but they fit the same slot.  Could be the new 58V fuses?  Or the tin plated fuses?  I'll have to ask around tomorrow.

The advantage of ATM is they use sealed and unsealed Metripack connectors.  So you crimp the terminal on, insert it into the block, add fuse and good to go.  But you probably don't want to be mucking around in your fuse center as your first project.  On top of that a large % of ATM loadcenters are actually a big circuit card, so when you put your new fuse in you don't add the wire to the back of the loadcenter but you add it to the harness at the connector coming out instead.  Double on top of that, most mfgrs make the harnesses in layers, so you buy a new layer with all the terminals already crimped on, then just click that in place and good to go.  If you had a KW I could have you a whole list of parts and a set of circuits in half a day.  It is an every day procedure.  But I have no idea what Volvo does or even what fuse center they use so I'm not much help. :( I've got to think a Volvo does something similar though.

To practice you might want to start with one of the Littlefuse PDM's and wire yourself up a little loadcenter and harness for something outside the cab, like a DROM loadcenter or something.  Or maybe use a Bussman RTMR or something if that fits better.  By the time you are good at crimping all that you can probably be allowed in the fuse panel. ;)

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1369/Power-Distribution-Modules/&mfg=111

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1369/Power-Distribution-Modules/&Component=RTMRs

ATM and APM are one of the same.  Often referred to as "mini" blade fuses.  The next up larger footprint blade fuse is an ATC, often used in vehicles prior to 2000 and RV's.  The mini blade fuses have been used in Volvo's for some time now.  My Volvo is a 2004 and it has them.  Someone with an older truck may comment on the fuses used.  You will also find some very large blade fuses in the 30 to 60 amp range.  The are often called "Maxi" fuses or just MAX.  Some of the newest cars and trucks are using an even smaller ATR "micro" blade fuse (smaller than ATM) or even an ATL micro 3 blade fuse.  It is all in the name of space saving (why??) but can drive someone crazy keeping up with having spares for all the changing sizes.  It is possible that the newest Volvo's are using the ATR or ATL fuses - I don't know but again maybe someone will chime in and clarify that issue.

I still contend that you should leave the OEM fuse panel alone.  Adding to the empty fuse slots may seem convenient but just is not worth the possible issues later on.  The photo below shows my added non-OEM fuse panel in the space below the OEM panel that serves the dash and upper overhead cabinet add-ons.  I show it ONLY as an example, not saying this is what or how you should do yours.  I have a second fuse panel in the back compartment that is also independent of the OEM circuits.  I use ignition enabled relay(s) for the circuits I want off when the ignition is off.  Added dash switches that activate loads over 10 amps are also wired into 40 amp Bosch style relays.  By doing this I eliminate any mixing of OEM and my add-ons other than taking the ignition-on power for a relay off the OEM buss - but that is easily disconnected if I want total isolation (little red blade connector above R9 plugged into an OEM slot).  The terminal strip on the left side with the green screws in the photo is a ground or neutral bar available at most any home store.  All of my added grounds return to this common point rather than the metal frame.  The ground bar is connected directly to the battery negative.  Makes for a lesser likely hood of problems later on due to bad grounds.  BTW - the tall silver things in the OEM fuse panel that are plugged in where an ATM fuse would go are ATM size thermal circuit breakers.

fuse%204.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived