Truck's fuse box

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about the fuse spaces that are not being used in the trucks fuse box. Can the these non used spaces, be used ? If they can, how would you do it ? It would be nice to see pictures or see what equipment would make the spaces work. It looks like my truck has 22 fuse spots not being used. By using some of these not used spaces would be a big help in adding some extra equipment to the truck.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Don't see why they couldn't be used.  Just multimeter to see if they are hot and some will be tied to ignition switch like my camera monitor I posted on another thread.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi Everyone,

I would also like to install an extra 12v power outlet. The truck has a spot where there is a dummy plug. It is to the left of the original 12v power outlet. Does anyone know if there is an after market one that will fit into where the dummy plug is ?

Thanks for any help,       Al

22 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

alan0043, 

Have you thought about buying a replacement one from Volvo?  I do believe they are the same part number for both sides.

I was wondering if anyone has a part number for a Volvo 12v power outlet. I don't want to go to the dealer and get sticker shock. I know I sound like a tight wad. lol.

Al

Al,

I hear ya as far as the potential sticker shock.  Though doesn't hurt to call them to get the part number.

Also, I recently heard a really good idea concerning the power outlets.  That idea was to get an aftermarket multi outlet housing, like you would add under the dash on a car.  Then to mount them up on top of the dash, back by the windshield.  That keeps people from banging into the plugs sticking out of the outlets when moving about in the cab.  A very wise Deputy Sheriff in the Houston area shared that one with me...

John

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

The Gen 1 Volvos have posts in the fuse box for connecting owner added electronics.  Some ignition seance some not.  You just add a blade fuse for the corresponding post.

On my Gen 2 it is basically the same thing only you need to purchase the Volvo connector for your wiring.  Now what I did instead as my frugal side raised it's ugly head when I needed to use one of these posts for accessories was I inserted the fuse for the appropriate socket I wanted to use.  I then used my meter to find the 12v power post and then the ground post.  I then connected to the appropriate post in the socket using a uninsulated male wire spade connector.  Works like a charm and have not had any issues to date.

FUSE_BOX.JPG

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

On 3/19/2017 at 9:59 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about the fuse spaces that are not being used in the trucks fuse box. Can the these non used spaces, be used ? If they can, how would you do it ? It would be nice to see pictures or see what equipment would make the spaces work. It looks like my truck has 22 fuse spots not being used. By using some of these not used spaces would be a big help in adding some extra equipment to the truck.

Al

You can.... but be advised if your Volvo shop is anything like the one near me they really get huffy and discouraged if you need them to check an electrical circuit and they find wiring that has been added to the Volvo box and has non-OEM components in place.   I kept mine totally separate.  One other observation..... if you do decide to use the empty fuse slots you can unscrew the OEM box so as to access the wires underneath.  It would be better to find the end of the wire/socket but that can be darn near impossible.  Coming off of an empty fuse slot you can close your eyes, hold your breath and cut the wire leaving enough to attach a new wire running to what you wish to power.  If the fuse slot shows that a 5 amp fuse is suppose to be there it is best not to exceed that rating.  There are several 15 amp fuse slots open on my rig. 

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, VegasFlyer said:

Al,

I hear ya as far as the potential sticker shock.  Though doesn't hurt to call them to get the part number.

Also, I recently heard a really good idea concerning the power outlets.  That idea was to get an aftermarket multi outlet housing, like you would add under the dash on a car.  Then to mount them up on top of the dash, back by the windshield.  That keeps people from banging into the plugs sticking out of the outlets when moving about in the cab.  A very wise Deputy Sheriff in the Houston area shared that one with me...

John

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing the Houston idea. I need to look at the dash to see where this port could go. I really don't want to put any holes in the top of the dash.

Al

Al,

I think you could do it without any holes if you route the power wire out from adjacent the windshield and mount the power receptacle with double sided tape.

Here is a basic unit, for under 10.00

If you wanted something more like the one above, with a voltage meter, you could mount that panel into a chassis box and tape that onto the dash.

John

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-4-Way-12V-Automotive-Socket-Extender/29764707?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=5772481d-c4c7-404e-8b08-5c699b73f4e2&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=5772481d-c4c7-404e-8b08-5c699b73f4e2&item_id=29764707&parent_anchor_item_id=29029301&parent_item_id=29029301&placement_id=irs-106-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=e2gV2fj5In1Hpso2jRa7x4

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

14 hours ago, professor95 said:

You can.... but be advised if your Volvo shop is anything like the one near me they really get huffy and discouraged if you need them to check an electrical circuit and they find wiring that has been added to the Volvo box and has non-OEM components in place.   I kept mine totally separate.  One other observation..... if you do decide to use the empty fuse slots you can unscrew the OEM box so as to access the wires underneath.  It would be better to find the end of the wire/socket but that can be darn near impossible.  Coming off of an empty fuse slot you can close your eyes, hold your breath and cut the wire leaving enough to attach a new wire running to what you wish to power.  If the fuse slot shows that a 5 amp fuse is suppose to be there it is best not to exceed that rating.  There are several 15 amp fuse slots open on my rig. 

So, not a Volvo owner, YET.  But I have a question on this subject.  Who is it that owns and has paid for the trucks in question??  Seems like Volvo needs to learn some customer serice skills and remember who it is that makes it possible for them to get paid.

Marcel

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

So, not a Volvo owner, YET.  But I have a question on this subject.  Who is it that owns and has paid for the trucks in question??  Seems like Volvo needs to learn some customer serice skills and remember who it is that makes it possible for them to get paid.

A big truck is just like any other vehicle.  If the service dept can find ANYTHING you have done to "Alter" a system that has broken down/failed while the vehicle is under warranty..... The dealer wins and gets to charge you.  After the vehicle is out of warranty, the "Tech" (read overpaid parts changer) has to actually diagnosis what is wrong with a system.  This creates issues because the young tech doesn't have the ability to fix the issue because it doesn't exist in a flow chart.  So if the tech opens up a fuse panel and sees extra wires, it's YOUR fault for adding an extra wire somewhere and corrupting his perfect wiring diagram.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hey Ya'll gotta watch what Vegas Flyer says he is full of $h!T sometimes LOL!

You know I spent 4 days with him on my trip back from Florida and he kept trying to sell me this great piece of land in Arizona that was ocean front property.

No I am just Joking Flyer is a great person, so is 5er. Great advice coming from both of them.

Anyway my wife kind of put my n#t$ in a vice for a while and my spending on my truck is going to end after I put new steers on it.

She said something about saving money. I told her out bed / deck off of the back was going to be about 10G's she was not happy in the least.

Wish me luck ;-) !!!!!

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory O

7 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

She said something about saving money. I told her out bed / deck off of the back was going to be about 10G's she was not happy in the least.

You messed up NEVER ask for permission, ask for forgiveness  

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

2 hours ago, forxlr8n said:

You messed up NEVER ask for permission, ask for forgiveness  

That is one big lesson that I learned years ago. I even used that lesson when I was working.

Al

Sometimes, that's a poor strategy.  I sit on a local zoning board.  When we know a person is trying to skate bye, and have proof, we make them "put it back."  We had a person put in a pond, and he'd made the mistake of coming in a filling out the form, but not paying the $50 fee.  Busted. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Sometimes, that's a poor strategy.  I sit on a local zoning board.  When we know a person is trying to skate bye, and have proof, we make them "put it back."  We had a person put in a pond, and he'd made the mistake of coming in a filling out the form, but not paying the $50 fee.  Busted. 

This is way off topic, however, are you saying that you had a person remove a pond because they did not pay a 50.00 fee?

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

47 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

This is way off topic, however, are you saying that you had a person remove a pond because they did not pay a 50.00 fee?

I left out a bit, trying not to stray too far....... The dam was on the neighbors' property.  He knew he was wrong, just hoped to slide by.  There's a lot more to the story, but the point is, asking for forgiveness can bite you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

40 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I left out a bit, trying not to stray too far....... The dam was on the neighbors' property.  He knew he was wrong, just hoped to slide by.  There's a lot more to the story, but the point is, asking for forgiveness can bite you.

Rick,

Thanks for the clarification.....

Back to the original topic, or the original stray from the original topic....lol. One thing to keep in mind about mechanics,whether they be truck, plane, boat or Mellenial Falcon mechanics, the two most common areas of weakness for the majority of mechanics, are hydraulics and electrical.  It is interesting, given that both areas generally deal with flow.  That is something that is still mystical for even trained professionals.

Based on that point, it does make sense that if you decide to add to the complex wiring system of your truck, you would be best served to do it in a professional fashion, using proper components and documenting it in a fashion that is similar to what the technician that will work on your truck, will have available to him, from the manufacturer.

OR, don't bitch when the dealer taps you for a few hours of shop time as they perform an exploratory surgery on your wonderful mods.

Just Sayin....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

VF Hang in there and the Comptroller will usually let you have needed funds.And the right sad face at the best time. But one has to be careful because they just might say No No. Then just wait and upon occasion let it be known about the needs of the HDT. An occasional tear usually helps. Good Luck you'll need it.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a rookie question. Please be easy on me. My understanding that a 2012 Volvo uses a mini fuse. Is the mini fuse and a APM or ATM fuse the same thing ? From what I have been reading they seem to be the same thing. I'm I on the right track ? What does APM mean ? What does ATM mean ? I am very weak in electrical area's. I want to learn.

Thank you for any input,     Al

Archived