Replacing Tires for Alaska

SWharton

That is an overkill! We were there with a Caravan 10 years ago, spent 40 days in Alaska and the group had 1 flat, a couple of dead batteries and a punctured radiator on a DP. We have a MH and figured we don't have any space for extra tires so we will have to wing it.

The Alcan is just like I-5 with a lot more distance between towns. Really, the Alcan before Whitehorse is in better shape than I-5. After Whitehorse the biggest issue is the frost heaves.

The only highway I would be concerned about is he Denali-Richardson Highway.....do it. Don't worry about your tires. Just go slow and do it in three days (before Caribou season) instead of one day (on Caribou season opener).

Just slow down for the potholes, pay attention to the road, the big issue is frost heaves.... and enjoy your trip.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

8 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Take 3 spares, 2 mounted. You will use them all, new tires or not. 

Sorry.... we don't agree with that. There are many, many RVers that don't have any tire issues. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We drove to AK in 2012, dually towing 40' 5er, anyway there were 8 MH's in the caravan, NONE had any tire problem whatsoever. Travel trailer had all four tire fail, our 5er had new Sailun truck tires, axle U bolt broke and ground 2 tires down smooth-flat spots. Towed 5er back home to IN and never had a tire failure.

Carry an unmounted spare JIC though, road service is available, but they most likely will not find a MH tire in Northern Canada or AK.

You will not be driving the Alcan, so that removes most of your tire concerns. The highways in AK are comparable to the lower 48; well except the top of the world "highway" which is really a poor gravel road. Were we to drive our present MH to AK and back today, I would replace our 9 yr-old tires and carry an unmounted spare JIC. If my tires were 5, I would not replace them unless a detailed inspection revealed and sign of damage or puncture. Any puncture that reaches the belts allows water to corrode the steel belts,even if the tire did not leak air, which of course results in tire failure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Top of the World Hwy was in good condition in Aug 2016.  No problems driving it UNLESS you had to drive from Dawson City to Tok in one day.  Especially if it was rainy.  Then it is a miserable drive. 

On gravel or dirt roads we typically drive at 20-35mph.  Really helps to eliminate rock damage to tires. 

We took 6 days to make the trip.  Not because we couldn't have made the 178 miles in 3 days, but because it is a scenic area we wanted to visit so we took our time.  2 of the days was side trip to Eagle in the toad and waiting out foggy weather. 

Here is a link to our blog entry for the Top of the World Hwy:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/tok-to-dawson-yt-via-top-of-world-totw.html  Several pictures of the gravel road.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

You will not be driving the Alcan, so that removes most of your tire concerns.

Huh?  If he's going to Alaska he will be driving either the Alcan or the Cassier.

Full-timed for 16 Years

16 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Huh?  If he's going to Alaska he will be driving either the Alcan or the Cassier.

The confusion comes because he is taking the Alaska Ferry going up.  However you are correct he will be driving either the Alcan or Cassiar coming back I believe.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 3/27/2017 at 6:54 AM, SWharton said:

That's good to hear that the TOW has improved so much. I will keep it under consideration.

I drove in good weather in August. It is your basic Forest Service dirt road. I had enough of driving those and getting paid for it!!! I am glad I did the trip and got it out of my system. IF you must do the TOW road....do it from Dawson City to the Alaska line. That was the more interesting part.

I did like Chicken, Alaska....but it was not worth driving all that way to Chicken.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I have never been to Alaska and don't have any plans to go there in the foreseeable future. That being said, there are 3 experiences you will have on any long vehicle trip. 1) You will be lucky and have no issues (most people). 2) You will have a breakdown and being properly prepared like a spare tire, it will just be a small inconvenience. 3) You will have a breakdown with no parts available and it will become a major stress issue/focal point to remember your trip by.

Why take the chance on #3 when you have time to prepare? Take a couple of spare tires and any unique parts your vehicle might need, such as alternator, belts, spare pulley, filters, bulbs, and radiator hoses, etc.

It's not practicable to carry a spare engine, but smaller unique parts are easily stored and most likely needed sometime in the future anyway. it's the Boy Scout "Be Prepared" motto.

Greg

3 couples, 2 trips to Alaska--no tire problems whatever. I did blow an engine last summer in Vanderhoof, BC.--that was an experience.  First trip, everyone took a couple of spares; last summer, no extra spares. Too bad I didn't take a spare engine along...

I have lived in Alaska close to 40 years. We made our first trip in '78 when it was still dirt. I have driven it many times in just about every kind of vehicle there is from a motorcycle to a 40 passenger Prevost.  Never had a tire problem on the vehicle I was driving. In the few times I towed a trailer with bias ply tires......I always had a flat/blow out and lost dust covers.

If you have problems on the Alcan it is going to be expensive. Last year I blew a trailer tire on Easter Sunday just outside of Ft Nelson. $300 later I was back on the road with a new spare. Its always best to be prepared to take care of yourself.

Here are a few pics of what the Alcan looked like in '78. The sign forest was quite small compared to today.

Watson Lake Sign Forrest 197810-600x474.jpg

10%20001-600x429.jpg

'76 Mustang with rock screen in front. Had an old piece of carpet covering the gas tank so a rock wouldn't put a hole in it.10%20004-600x429.jpg10%20003-600x463.jpg10%20005-600x453.jpgNot sure the "detour sign" was really needed.LOLNo flaggers in construction zones.......you had to just stay out of the way.10%20009-600x471.jpgCamping in Fort Nelson......our first night on the Alcan. I was a bit thinner back then!!!

Those are some great pics. Having seen the Sign Post Forrest in 06 on my motorcycle trip, that is an amazing difference between then and now. I could only imagine 11 years later, it's even more impressive. I love your other pics too. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Great photos!  Absolutely no comparison nowadays. The highway build took a lot of effort by many people. We thank them!!

Full-timed for 16 Years

Archived