Traveling with Oxygen Concentrators

So I now have to use Oxygen, I was diagnosed with COPD, I was also told I had Emphysema :blink:

Any way I am looking to get a Respironics Simply Go Portable Oxygen Concentrator. So my question is do any of you have any experience with this machine? Can you head any light on this unit? Thank You.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

• 4 years later...

I can only find OLD posts regarding rving with oxygen concentrators.  With all the new technologies out there -what are people using for their alternate power source for POC'S when electricity is not available?  Would like to hear from you.  Blessings  Doreene

57 minutes ago, doreenr said:

I can only find OLD posts regarding rving with oxygen concentrators.

Welcome to the forums. You might want to start a new thread since this one is more than 4 years old. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We carry two concentrators with us for my wife's COPD, a full sized DeVilbis constant flow concentrator and an Inogen One G5 demand/pulse portable concentrator. The DeVilbis is only used when we have shorepower or run the onboard generator, but we have enough battery packs for the Inogen for about 48 hours of runtime, and they can be recharged anywhere we find 120-volt power or from 12-volt power.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 5 months later...

I too have an Inogen G3.  I also have a house concentrator.  When inside I use the house one (don't remember its name) but outside I use the inogen.  I have other issues also stemming from a sudden illness 5 years ago. The inogen is great, unfortunately They are also very expensive.  So are the batteries, chargers etc.  I have one large and one small battery.  They last about 6 hours.  They do plug in to the truck and charge while using them.  

To get out and about I highly recommend them.

Wow! I needed this thread. I was issued the giant Invacare Perfecto 2 O2 Concentrator,  with the Invacare Homefill II Tank filler, two thin aluminum tanks good for 3 hours and a big tank for power failures that lasts 30 hours or so, and tubing, a sling pack and a back pack. Insurance coverd 100% of it.

I just had a pretty large PE and a large DVT in my leg. Doc said I would be on O2 until the PE reduces. He said he expects a full recovery but I will be on Eliquis for life. He said to just take it slow and easy for a month or three and I may not need O2. I was told I could mow the lawn as long as the mower was self propelled and I take it easy.  It went well but getting the lightweight tanks in the pack to stay on and not fall off/out made me look for portables. It was a slight learning curve but the tanks are a PITA agreed.

The portable units are expensive but I'm also seeing them for sale used in FB Marketplace. However with no warranty and the cost of batteries I'll likely get a new one if I find I have to stay on O2 for life.

My question to the folks with experience is about the different models of portables.

I your opinions is Inogen the best mix of features?

I see the G1 through G5 I think. Which has the better features of run times and weight?

Gary, I now see why you had to move from here to lower altitude. Man it is tough with breathing issues. Mine came on virtually overnight.

Safe travels guys.

Thanks guys.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The Inogen One G4 and G5 are the two current models in the Inogen series. The G4 is the lightest at 3.3 lbs and up to 5 hours of battery time on the lowest flow rate setting, 1 of 3. The G5 is 5.5 lbs and has a battery life up to 13 hours on flow rate setting 1 of 5. My wife has been very satisfied with her G5, and typically sets it at 2 or 4 depending on her activity level. On flow rate 2, she typically gets at least 4 hours from a standard battery, and about 10 hours from a "double" battery. Along with the 120-volt charger, she also has a 12-volt power cord for it and a stand-alone 120-volt charger for the batteries that are not currently installed.

Before considering any of the battery portables, check with your doctor to make sure a demand or pulse concentrator is suitable for your condition over the continuous flow Invacare or tanks. My wife was tested using a demand regulator on a tank before her pulmonologist would sign off on getting the Inogen.

Dutch

Dutch THANK YOU!

That is exactly what I needed.  I knew about the pulse and and that it is not for everyone. I have at least a month or three to get evaluated because it will be that long to see if the clots are gone. If they are I won't need any O2. If not I'll be ready now to consider whether weight or longer run times are my preference.

We have some Escapees friends visiting and we are going out to show them how fast the Tesla is and I'll be using the small tank for that. For now it suits my needs, and is 100% covered.  I see online lots of short steel tanks, man I am glad I was issued the lightweight aluminum ones for as long as I need them.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Dutch THANK YOU!

That is exactly what I needed.  I knew about the pulse and and that it is not for everyone. I have at least a month or three to get evaluated because it will be that long to see if the clots are gone. If they are I won't need any O2. If not I'll be ready now to consider whether weight or longer run times are my preference.

We have some Escapees friends visiting and we are going out to show them how fast the Tesla is and I'll be using the small tank for that. For now it suits my needs, and is 100% covered.  I see online lots of short steel tanks, man I am glad I was issued the lightweight aluminum ones for as long as I need them.

Ok, best of luck, and I'm hoping need for O2 will go away for you!

Dutch

Me too! Thanks again.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998