Camera install today

Quickthrotl

Yep, good job.  Did you do it yourself?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Dan

I would be happy to share with you the "secret"

for switch relocation when you show up at the 2017 WCR.

"the secret is..... most of the wire harnesses to the switches are extra length so all you do is remove the switch and relocate it to the desired location".

9 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Dan

I would be happy to share with you the "secret"

for switch relocation when you show up at the 2017 WCR.

"the secret is..... most of the wire harnesses to the switches are extra length so all you do is remove the switch and relocate it to the desired location".

x2 very easy.

jBOOIQQl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I used my deemed tool and cut out down to where the switches bottom out when they are snapped in 

to mount it I used the mount that came with it. I modified it of course

it is a 7" monitor 

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

2 hours ago, Quickthrotl said:

Very easy plenty of wire

Hi Quick,

Where did you get your 12 volts from ? I know that the trucks fuse box is behind the monitor. If you tapped into the fuse box, where did you do it ? Do you have any pictures of your 12 volt connection ? My next project is to install my camera. Part of my plan is to install the monitor the same place that you did.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

i pulled it right off the fuse panel, i took my multimeter and found a connection that was only powered with the key on, i used an empty spot where you would put a fuse and used a spade connector and pushed it in

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2009 Smart4two

22 minutes ago, Quickthrotl said:

i pulled it right off the fuse panel, i took my multimeter and found a connection that was only powered with the key on, i used an empty spot where you would put a fuse and used a spade connector and pushed it in

I did the same.  Here is a pic.

ltdqTGcl.jpg

lmC0jd7l.jpg

I'm going to re-wire as I didn't put a fuse in line when I originally wired.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131329893013?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Fuse tap- This particular style lets you use the original fuse spot to continue to power its intended equipment, and the "New" side to power what you need.  I have the factory 12V CB radio clips/pins/hook-ups on the passenger side of the dash.  I utilize that fuse to power several items that I want full time power to.   Other fuse taps are on the Key-On side like carl's cameras are.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Not deep enough to take a Double dinnnnn Garmin Nav system.  The fuse panel gets in the way.  The Garmin was installed below which will be changed when I get back home in May.

That is why I was asking Roger, great minds think alike! Lol

There is a 2-din unit that has a 10" monitor on it that would perfect for that spot, IF, you had the depth behind it.

How are you going to change your install?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131329893013?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Fuse tap- This particular style lets you use the original fuse spot to continue to power its intended equipment, and the "New" side to power what you need.  I have the factory 12V CB radio clips/pins/hook-ups on the passenger side of the dash.  I utilize that fuse to power several items that I want full time power to.   Other fuse taps are on the Key-On side like carl's cameras are.

Thanks Jim, gotta get me some of those for my re-wire if I have room.  Do they make them with the mini-fuse on top rather than on side?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 10:45 AM, VegasFlyer said:

That is why I was asking Roger, great minds think alike! Lol

There is a 2-din unit that has a 10" monitor on it that would perfect for that spot, IF, you had the depth behind it.

How are you going to change your install?

It may not necessarily be the Garmin that is too deep but the metal shell or case it fits in.  There were several as I recall but only one would fit in the space and it made the radio stick out of the higher opening.  Putting the Nav device in the lower one like mine is not the answer.  It's too far outside the field of vision and could be dangerous.  Being in the vehicle it is no use to me as a trip planning tool which can be used at home.  There is nowhere near as much detail as the Microsoft Streets and Trips program.

The Garmin is better at voice directions, but the cellphone with google earth is better still.  I often use the cel and Garmin in the Smart a the same time.  Example, ask the phone for Fort Myers Costco.  It comes up then hit directions and off you go.  Costco has a ice cream and straw berry sundae for 1.65$  I know where all the ice cream and onion ring joints are.

About future plans, truck Garmin comes out, perhaps replaced with a bigger tablet  in the area above.  Just peeking up above the top of the dash but not by much. I'll see how the garmin or another program looks and works compared to MS&T.  MS is older tech, voice commands are not as good as Garmin or cel phone.

Also the touch screens are a pain, fingerprints leave a smudge and a lot of  fingerprints leave a lot of smudges which in certain conditions makes the screen tuff to read.  This is compounded if you have greasy fingers from eating onion rings on road....bad grammar.

I still like my Toshiba roller trackball mouse to move the cursor for MS.  Mouse sits on a side table , mouse has Velcro to keep it in place.

Above or sitting on top of the dash is a 3x12" or close to it, monitor which has the front fender  and the rt side rear looking camera.  Both mounted on the rear view mirror on the truck door.  Very tite for wiring in the mirror arms.

To sum up, it will have to wait 'till I get back to Victoria and test out some options.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, VaOutlaw said:

Very nice install.  Do you have the part numbers for that monitor and camera you used by any chance?  Thanks

I bought it from Leviathan _holdings on EBay seven years ago. I heard recently he is liquidating his stock so look on EBay and see if he is still there. Sorry don't have parts numbers. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I bought it from Leviathan _holdings on EBay seven years ago. I heard recently he is liquidating his stock so look on EBay and see if he is still there. Sorry don't have parts numbers. 

That is also where I got mine just a few weeks ago

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2009 Smart4two

Archived