Income tax Question

bigjim

I used one of the free help service for my 1040A for a couple of reasons.  (not AARP but something else, like VISTA)I wasn't sure but I thought something wasn't quite right afterword. I got a small refund as expected and it has been auto-deposited.  I started going over it later and I found that she had inputed a wrong factor on the simpelified work sheet. As a result I got back about $90. less than I should have. I am not so much concerned about that as to when would be best to to a correction. Should I do it now or can I do it along with next years return since I actually ended up paying more than due essentially. I am over 1000 miles from where I did it and I have no state tax to consider.

You can file a 1040X now or just make a note to file the next tax year with your accountant. The 1040X will be filed separately, so it really doesn't matter when you file as long as within 3 years. The form is pretty easy to follow and it sounds like you know the right number to put on the work sheet, so go for it.

Greg

Archived