Starting issues

Quickthrotl

Every thing works 

you can hear a relay in the dash click. It acts normal other than it won't start. Battery connections at all tight and don't appear to have any corrosion. I am going to pull all of the connections to be sure

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

1 hour ago, Quickthrotl said:

Every now and then truck will not start

everything works electricity but when you turn the key it will not turn over, if I unhook the batteries and reconnect it starts just fine. 

You should hear about six clicks before trying to start.  Are you sure you're waiting long enough before engaging the starter?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

30 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

You should hear about six clicks before trying to start.  Are you sure you're waiting long enough before engaging the starter?

I will be sure to make sure of that and see 

it's hard to diagnose as it doesn't do it all the time 

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

I would also check the battery connection at the starter.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Disconnect and re-connect and it starts?  Sounds like the computer is telling it not to start.  The disconnect resets the computer????

I would jump the starter solenoid when it would not start just to be sure but the problem is most likely in some sensor not letting the truck start.

If you don't want to jump the solenoid, put a meter on the starter solenoid and see if there is DC power going there when you turn the switch.

Also, put a meter on the battery cable at the starter to ground.  Open circuit voltage will always be there. If you hit the switch and voltage goes to zero then it is a bad connection or cable.   

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I had a similar problem before it just wouldn't start at all on the road.  Turned out to be a bad battery cable.  The cable had internal corrosion that was not obvious.  New cables fixed the problem.  Checking the voltage at the starter versus at the battery while trying to start finally pin pointed the problem.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

6 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I had a similar problem before it just wouldn't start at all on the road.  Turned out to be a bad battery cable.  The cable had internal corrosion that was not obvious.  New cables fixed the problem.  Checking the voltage at the starter versus at the battery while trying to start finally pin pointed the problem.

X2.  Simple things first.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived