27 posts in this topic

Tell them you are using your prerogative and walking your accounts to banks that will accept them.  We've had BOA for over 11 years now, never had a problem.  No problem with Vanguard or with Chase.   Also, make sure to call the Escapees office and tell them you are getting the run around from Ally.

Barb

This issue has been discussed multiple times on this forum.  The driver is basically the bank's incorrect interpretation of a portion of the Patriot Act.  You have the right under the Act to use an address of anyone who "may know how to contact you."  We've only been asked to do this by one entity which was quite happy to accept our daughter's address to fulfill the requirements of the law without changing anything having to do with our account mailing address.

As others have suggested, try escalating the discussion at the bank above the level of the person who is calling you.  But don't try to argue that the Escapees mail service in Livingston is anything other than a PMB; you won't win with that argument.  Regardless of what Escapees likes to say about the uniqueness of the Livingston address, it pops up in the address databases as a PMB, just like all the others.  If your financial institution won't accept a PMB as a Patriot Act-compliant address, then you aren't going to win by trying to claim it isn't.  Instead, take the tact that all you need to do is supply "a compliant address" and if this bank won't accept that you'll take your business elsewhere.

1 hour ago, dfinster said:

I figured something new had changed.

All that's probably changed is that someone new at Ally has been promoted to become the person responsible for Patriot Act-compliance.  That person probably decided that they hadn't been strict enough on this issue.  That's probably all there is.

15 hours ago, docj said:

You have the right under the Act to use an address of anyone who "may know how to contact you."  We've only been asked to do this by one entity which was quite happy to accept our daughter's address to fulfill the requirements of the law without changing anything having to do with our account mailing address.

Instead, take the tact that all you need to do is supply "a compliant address" and if this bank won't accept that you'll take your business elsewhere.

This is the correct answer. 

Why does someone start a thread, which may be of interest to others and then, after getting several answers, come back and delete their posts so no one else knows what the question was?

Big5er is right.  The OP deleted both his own post and the title making this now into a meaningless thread!  Maybe he doesn't understand that lots of people learn by reading these thread, not just the person making the original post.

I just checked, he did the same thing to  his other post. Wierd???? I don't ever recall seeing this type of behavior before on any forum.

He did the same thing to all but his initial 3 posts , all the way back to 2015 . 

Maybe he wants to go incognito ? Or just be deleted ? 

Seems rather petty , but ???

Seems like a lot of work for no apparent reason......................If I can remember his name long enough I don't think I will participate in any of his future threads. The purpose of a forum is to exchange information so we can learn from each other. Very strange behavior since he is and Escapee.

there may be a legitimate reason including navigating this new set up.  I posted somewhere else that for some reason I now show way less posts than I had and the number that showed before the change.

On 3/19/2017 at 8:01 AM, Big5er said:

Why does someone start a thread, which may be of interest to others and then, after getting several answers, come back and delete their posts so no one else knows what the question was?

It was something about his bank not accepting his mail service as a legitimate address. I suppose that the problem has been resolved, but it would be nice if he just posted that and not edit out even the subject line. On the other hand, it does bring up the subject of forum etiquitte which is perhaps timely. 

22 hours ago, bigjim said:

I now show way less posts than I had and the number that showed before the change.

That's true of everyone.  Hopefully, the administrators will be able to get the glitch fixed, or it may just be something we have to live with.

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

It was something about his bank not accepting his mail service as a legitimate address. I suppose that the problem has been resolved, but it would be nice if he just posted that and not edit out even the subject line. On the other hand, it does bring up the subject of forum etiquitte which is perhaps timely. 

I have to wonder if every post he's made for the last 2 years was on the same subject as he deleted those too .

45 minutes ago, LindaH said:

That's true of everyone.  Hopefully, the administrators will be able to get the glitch fixed, or it may just be something we have to live with.

I've never been a fan of post counts . They show nothing , other than activity .

Every post should stand on it's own merit . 

On 3/20/2017 at 10:22 AM, Pat & Pete said:

I've never been a fan of post counts . 

I totally agree. I told Travis that if it were me, I'd not show post counts. What that does is to encourage some to post for little reason other than to inflate that number and it may also be a bit intimidating to the new forum members. To me, the satisfaction comes from knowing that I have helped those that I am able and from the friendships that I have made which started from these forums. If I knew how, I'd set mine back to 0 and lock it that way. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Kirk Wood said:

I told Travis that if it were me, I'd not show post counts.

In general, I agree.  However, post counts DO come in handy when someone makes a post that looks like spam.  If it's someone who has posted here before, I usually give them the benefit of a doubt.  If it's someone's first post, I'll probably flag them as a spammer and hide their post.

Without the post count, I would have no way of knowing whether or not the person had posted here before.

Linda ,

Not that I'd tell you how to do your 'job' , but , I've found that after you've been moderating for a while , you'll know , at a glance , if the posters handle is new to the everyday forums . 

You can always check a profile or just hit Find Content when you flash a handle . 

Edited by Pat & Pete