Average pin box height

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

What is the range for the pin box height ? I am not looking for the height from the ground to the pin, but the height from the ground to the flat area on the box.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Most people are concerned about the space between the side of the truckbed and the trailer. The height from the ground to the hitch will depend on how high or low the trailer is adjusted by the landing gear. :)

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

58 minutes ago, Fulltimer51 said:

Most people are concerned about the space between the side of the truckbed and the trailer. The height from the ground to the hitch will depend on how high or low the trailer is adjusted by the landing gear. :)

The truck does not have a bed to worry about. The top of the hitch with the air bags full of air on the suspension on the truck is about 43 3/4".

Al

13 minutes ago, herorock said:

Al, that height is sounding very low.  Check out this thread and I again quote what is being found out there today, and how to measure your needed height.

Standard height is out the window these days.

Thanks herorock,

I will do some reading. I tried a search earlier today about pin box height and I did not find that info. This could be a big help to me.

Thank you again,        Al

Al,

Next time you need to do a search....try this in Google  site:rvnetwork.com pin height.

In the future if doing a search you can use the same string site:rvnetwork.com ******* substitute the **** for the subject you are looking for searching for.

Example.....https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Arvnetwork.com+pin+height&oq=site%3Arvnetwork.com+pin+height&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.8384j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Mine measured 47" when unconnected, on level pavement with 5er leveled. After I put 2" blocks between axles and springs and different tires it measured 50", which put my rig level when attached to my Chevy K3500 4x4 dually, and 6" clearance pin box to bed-rails.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Al,

Next time you need to do a search....try this in Google  site:rvnetwork.com pin height.

In the future if doing a search you can use the same string site:rvnetwork.com ******* substitute the **** for the subject you are looking for searching for.

Example.....https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Arvnetwork.com+pin+height&oq=site%3Arvnetwork.com+pin+height&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.8384j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi MrSears,

Thank you for the tip. This will be a big help in the future for searches. I have tried the new way of searching and I like the results. Thank you again.

Al

Hi Everyone,

From the reading that I have been doing it looks like it would be best to raise up the hitch. I figured the hitch should come up 3". With adding 3" and the height of the hitch at 43 3/4" I should be at 46 3/4" to 47". What wall thickness on the tubing would you think would be best ? I have an idea. I would like to see what other people think.

Open for ideas,    Al

I used ts 3 x 3 x .188 and it has not deformed any in last 5 years, i have about 4000# pin weight

2001 ford f350, 2010 Jayco 351rlsa, 2002 Vw Beetle tdi toad, 2012 polaris rzr, 2004 yamaha zuma

2001 Freightliner c112 tandam axle, ism, 9sd manual, jackalope, mountain master air hitch, hayes 400b

14 hours ago, barlyn1 said:

I used ts 3 x 3 x .188 and it has not deformed any in last 5 years, i have about 4000# pin weight

That is great to now. It looks like my thoughts on tube thickness could work out just right.

Al,

Move your RV to a ground level spot,

Unhook the RV from the truck and measure the RV at the front and rear of the frame to the ground.  

Visually stand back a ways and see if it looks "Level".  

Then back your truck up to the pin, but don't hook up.  

Either stop before you hit the pin- truck to high, or back under the pin- truck to low,  with the truck fully aired up and the TrailerSaver hitch at the white line.  

Measure your differences.  You either need to drop your hitch or raise it.  

If you're within an inch high or low, it fine.

Give me a shout if you need.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived