Split my blackwater tank! Anyone have this happen?

My black tank developed a split lengthwise right down the center of the bottom.  Interesting symptoms. Most of the time it would seal OK until just enough weight would collect in it causing it to buckle and leak. 

The guy bonded it with epoxy followed by Eternabond straps over and across the bottom to reinforce and stabilize the surfaces.  We'll see if that works for awhile until I can either get a replacement tank or do a more permanent patch.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

As a past RV dealer and long time user I saw a ton of RV's, but never had a black tank split there. In some RV's just to try and prevent what you spoke of, I have understrapped a black tank along the bottom with just enough pressure and tension to allow some "normal" sag with the understrap taking up some of the load. I figure it may not be needed but likely wont hurt anything if properly installed and adjusted.

John T

I have had friends tanks crack.  The fresh water tank by overfilling it and the grey or black usually at the seam where the top is attached to the bottom tub.  Some were able to have them plastic welded and others replaced them.  My only problem was a black tank valve that leaked where the metal shaft entered the plastic valve assembly.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Archived