Summary of Trip

Vegas Teacher

Hello 

I could not have done this trip or bought this semi without the help of  ( Vegas Flyer) I owe him everything. He is a great friend and I don't know if I will ever be able to repay him for what he did for me. He went to Florida, he took vacation days to do this and he helped me pick out a nice truck. He also put up with me and my mood swings on this trip. I am, just by nature, a moody person.

O.K. I flew to Tampa with Flyer and picked up my semi and drove it home.

Now before you start in on the next part of this email look at the clock, grab a beverage and some food and get prepared to enjoy the read I have to discuss 36 hours of travel time that was probably closer to 40 plus and 2500 miles of travel.

So here is the voyage from Thursday afternoon to Monday 11:45 p.m.

Thursday:

We had a teacher meeting after school so we did not get home until close to 3 or 3:30 p.m. I got all of my bags ready to go and placed down stairs in the ready position. I looked to see how the garden looked and moved on from there.

Thursday:

Flyer got to the house at about 4:30 and we left for the airport at about 5:00 p.m. I got out to 215 and sky point drive and realized I left my cell phone at the house so I had to go back around by Target and pick up the phone. Now back on 215 and on my way to the airport. All is going good until I get to the strip where they are having the Nascar Parade - so we are stalled for 15 minutes. Back on the road again and we get to use the new terminal. Say goodby to Pam and check in at the terminal. Sammy's Wood Fired Pizza for dinner. Kill about an hour and boarding for a 9:30 P.M. flight for Tampa is ready to go. The airplane had killer seats and even flying through the night sleeping was very difficult. I got about an hour of sleep. We got off the airplane in Tampa Bay to a cool breeze and humidity in the air. 

Friday:

We went to a Denny's to kill time and wait for the Nextran truck shop to open. Ben met us at Denny's and we went to the bank so I could write him a check for the purchase of the Semi. Now we are on our way to get the truck all of the paper work should be waiting for us and ready for the truck pick up so we can just drive off............That did not happen. We got to the dealership and the 30 day tag was not there. So we had to drive 40 miles one direction to a county office and 40 miles back. We got the temp tag and we went back to the dealership and then we were off.

Next we stopped at Walmart on the way out of town. We got foam padding to put over the mattresses that made up the and some other supplies and we were on the road. We made it to Talahasse Florida that night. We spent the night at a Love's Truck Stop. I took my first shower at a truck stop. Showers cost 12.00 unless you buy 50 gallons of gas. 50 gallons of gas you say who buys 50 gallons of gas??? News flash my semi holds 100 gallons in each tank for a total of 200 gallons of gas, 50 gallons is a quarter of a tank. We got up the next morning and grabbed a snack and hit the open road again. 

Saturday:

Saturday was a long day. We drove from Florida, along I - 10 to Houston Texas. I saw a lot of the south I had not seen before. We made our first stop at Oasis Truck stop in Robertsdale Alabama. After eating we switched driving positions. Up until this point I had been a passenger. So Flyer had me drive around the parking lot a couple of times getting used to the gas pedal and the braking system. (Jake Brake came later) but just simple stuff. Next I got out on the highway. So I was taught how to keep myself centered on the highway and to keep checking my mirrors to see if I was to close to the paint with my rear tires. So driving the truck a few things I noticed were the height at which you sat. You are up over the steering wheel and the dash of  the truck. I really liked this. You can see for a long ways in front of you. Cars and trucks do not block your field of view down the road. While driving on Saturday I got to drive in the rain, storms, city traffic and construction areas. All of this stuff on the first day. I really have to stop and give Flyer Credit again, he did so much to help me learn. He was constantly giving me quizzes and what if situations to see if I understood what to do and how to do it. So we stopped to eat a couple of times along the way and made it into Houston at around 10:00 p.m. that night. In the Semi we were running 65 miles per hour on average. It takes longer at that rate. I am used to traveling at 75 - 80 on every major inner state, it is a difference of over 100 miles of distance traveled in a 12 hour day alone. Plus with the temporary tag I did not want to take any chances or have a tire blow out on me. We get to Houston at around 10 p.m. and stay at the Flying J on the East Side of Town just off of        I -10. It was raining and cold in Houston on Saturday. 

Sunday:

We woke up in Houston and went to breakfast in the Denny's attached to the Flying J and met up with Phill or Big 5er' on the HDT forum. We had breakfast and talked to him for about 2 hours. Phill was a pretty good guy and had a lot of useful advice. We left Houston and went to San Antonio. We stopped for a burger at Babes Best Burgers then got back on I - 10 and headed West. I am now driving once again and having to deal with turning left across on coming traffic, driving in a business district and getting out of San Antonio in congested city traffic my second time behind the wheel. So we make it to El Paso very late at 2:00 a.m. Monday Morning. El Paso was just sad. It really affected me. Being in the U.S. and looking over at Mexico was depressing and you could see why the Mexican people would risk so much to get across the river and into the United States.

Monday:

We got on the road Monday morning after breakfast at Denny's around 10 a.m. and traveled to Tuscon along I - 10 where we headed north to Phoenix and then finally to Las Vegas. Monday was a rough day for me. 4 days  of the truck experience and a lot of time to think about what was or was not going on in my classroom. I hate being absent or away from school. I was gone for two days which does not sound like a lot but it put me two days behind where I wanted to be at this point. So we got home at around 11:30 p.m. The truck is parked in Keith's side yard and it just fits inside the gate, it looks great. I got to school the next day dead to the world but physically in my chair.

Once again I have to give John a lot of credit for teaching me. John is a great friend and I do not know what I would have done without him or what I would do without his friendship. He saw me at my best and at my worst on this trip. I start to get a little edgy when I am faced with problems like the 30 permit not being where it is supposed to be.

Last night I took Keith and Pam for a ride. We took a 30 mile trip up to Indian Springs and back. It was fun. I got to show them what it was like in the truck. It was Pam's second time in a truck because she had ridden in Flyer's truck before. I am now looking for new tires and the best deals on new tires. Best I have found so far for steering tires was 275 a piece plus mounting and balancing. Drive tires came in at 285 plus mounting and balancing. I have to buy 10 tires at some point. Not now but at some point.

O.K. you made it all the way through the letter. I am sure my brother called out for lunch and skimmed 90% of it.

Later, 

Cory O

Vincent Cory Ossana
Shadow Ridge  High School
Science Department
Room 917

"The faults of our members we write on the sand, their virtues upon the Tablets of Love and Memory." 

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

We woke up in Houston and went to breakfast in the Denny's attached to the Flying J and met up with Phill or Big 5er' on the HDT forum. We had breakfast and talked to him for about 2 hours. Phill was a pretty good guy and had a lot of useful advice.

Aww, heck. I think I'm gonna blush -_-

Cory, it was great to meet you and John even if it was at the crack of dawn. Thanks for breakfast, I had a great time talking to both of you. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the time change. I would have been messed up all day if it wasn't for y'all. 

Enjoy the truck, and we'll meet on the road again. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Teach, 

You did good......and you had a good teacher.

After reading your tale I gotta have a cold Dr Pepper and take a long nap.......(geezer thing).

Drive on........(let the adventure .........start)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

5 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I am now looking for new tires and the best deals on new tires. Best I have found so far for steering tires was 275 a piece plus mounting and balancing. Drive tires came in at 285 plus mounting and balancing. I have to buy 10 tires at some point. Not now but at some point.

Congrats on making it home safely! We flew to TX and drove our back to MA over 4 days. It was quite an adventure (aided by picking up a 44' race car hauler along the way).

One thing to think about is not 'cheaping' out on steer tires. A blow-out there will be quite a handful compared to losing one of 8 on the drive axles. I'd want something that didn't come from China on the steer axle.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

10 hours ago, jeffw said:

One thing to think about is not 'cheaping' out on steer tires. A blow-out there will be quite a handful compared to losing one of 8 on the drive axles. I'd want something that didn't come from China on the steer axle.

X2.  Michelins, Goodyears are expensive but there are some good cheaper tires out there.  Toyos, Dunlops, BF Goodrich, Continental, etc.  Steers are just not a good place to skimp.  BTW re-cap drives are available, but you should not put a re-cap on the steers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

X3.  I'll run drives way past the mythical expiration date, but good steers are a must.  A few dollars more on any of the good brands is cheap insurance.

Since you're a science teacher, just consider that heat is the enemy of tires, your steers are running near load capacity.  Your drives likely aren't, unless you single and have a lot of pin weight.

A blowout on a drive is an inconvenience. A blowout on a steer is a potential disaster.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Actually its illegal to put recaps on the steers.   At least in IL.   I agree, Toyo, FIrestone, Michelin on the front.    Back, not so critical. 

BTW--Word of Warning.  There will be more of those "30 day not there" things.  Unexpected low bridges, reserved spot to small...  Deep breath, let it go, patience... (I got the same problem with getting uptight...:()

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Great recap on the baptism by fire VT.  Just remember, as with a pilot's licence, "it's a licence to learn".  Not a confirmation you're all checked out and good to go.  If you keep that mentality for the rest of your days, you'll be richly rewarded.  Just my perspective of life, and it's served me well.  -Steve

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

It is good to see all the posts warning him about the Sterring tires.  (Affirms what I told him) lol

when sitting around the campfire ? tellin lies, errrr, braggin about what a great deal you got on something because they were off brand, steering tires ain't something bound to impress anyone with experience driving a truck.

Just sayin.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Petro Truck Stop at the raceway (here in Vegas) will do Goodyear Roadmaster steer tires for 349.23 a piece and totally take care of the front end of the truck with a tire disposal included in the price with tax 885 out the door.

They would do the entire truck plus alignment on the rear axels for 4409.16 Front to back disposal and Tax.

I am not sure if this is a good price. It is goodyear so it is a major brand.

Help???????

Vegas:
Congrats on the truck!

I put General Steers on mine (regional) as we do a lot of off roading with our trucks. I believe I paid right around 950$ for front tires with an alignment from Southern Tire mart on Losse. I just did drives a month or two ago, but went through a friend of mine at Discount Tire. I got a deal that I couldnt pass up. But they cant do the install. You should be able to find someone mobile to install if that is the route you want to go. (much cheaper)
Who ever you call.. explain that this is NOT for general OTR and that is personal use. Sometimes it helps the negotiation process. 

I was 22 years old when I purchased my first tractor a used 1974 White Road Commander.  Picked it up from northAmerican Van Lines after a 2 week training period, learning to drive, paperwork, logs, regulations the works. To say my head was spinning on a dark Friday afternoon in late Jan 1976 in Fort Wayne IN would be an understatement. But it was MINE. 40 years later I can remember the exhilaration of driving it, learning all about it, every trip a real adventure, like it was yesterday.

I love hearing stories like yours. It brings back fond memories of my own. congrats 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

6 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Petro Truck Stop at the raceway (here in Vegas) will do Goodyear Roadmaster steer tires for 349.23 a piece and totally take care of the front end of the truck with a tire disposal included in the price with tax 885 out the door.

They would do the entire truck plus alignment on the rear axels for 4409.16 Front to back disposal and Tax.

I am not sure if this is a good price. It is goodyear so it is a major brand.

Help???????

Roadmaster are Cooper, not Goodyear. My dad used to work for them, and I grew up in Findlay, OH (headquarters). I have no idea where their truck tires are made though.

Simpletire is a good place to get a ballpark price on tires: https://simpletire.com/catalog?search=roadmaster&sort=price&order=desc&query=catalog

Don't forget to add Federal Excise Tax to the price as it's quoted separately.

On my old truck, I ran all-position tires front and rear: Firestone FS560. My mechanic recommend them and I ran them for 7 years w/o issue.

Last week the new truck (Volvo) was in for it's annual inspection and the truck needed 4 new drive tires on the rear axle. Firestone doesn't make that tire anymore, so my mechanic suggested the Kelly Armorsteel KRH. They run them on their fleet and have had good luck with them. They were $385 each.

Hope this helps.

-jeff

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Archived