TPMS preferences & complaints

marlindy

I check each tire with a reliable pressure gauge every morning before travel, truck & 5'er.  Is it worth the expense to buy a TPMS for ten tires?

They are expensive & I wonder how good they actually are.  Also, do the transmitters get broken or stolen?

What are your experiences with them?

Thanks,  Marlindy  #113190

I like it alot.  Nice to know I'll be informed if I get a slow or fast leak while pulling, and potentially save thousands on damage from the blown tire tearing up my wheel wells.  Also, the convenience factor is nice, saves a fee mins having to check tires manually, especially on those cold mornings!

I have mostly dual wheel axles so I went with the CrossFire which equalizes the pressure between both tires and gives me a color coded indication of if the tire pressure is in range. I can walk around the truck and trailer in less than a minute and see all 12 tires are within the pressure range. I only have to put the gauge on the steer tires. Could get a indicator cap for those too I suppose. I had one of the TPMS and it never worked for me. Bought it used so no option to return it. My thought is if it comes standard on a new vehicle it might be ok the add on ones not so much. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Our Pressure Pro is worth it to me.  We've been using it for 9 years and nothing stolen or broken other than replacing the sensors after 6 years as the batteries were dying.  I know I would not check 10 tires with a gauge but I can easily in a minute in the mornings before we depart.  The PP told me of a flat inside dually (valve stem problem) and a screw in one fifth wheel tire leaking air as we traveled.  We had one blowout but TPMS can't foretell that problem.  Well worth the cost saving us from the 2 flats and potential additional damage but it makes checking pressure so easy and gives tire confidence when traveling as you can check them going down the road.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

On 3/15/2017 at 4:00 PM, marlindy said:

Is it worth the expense to buy a TPMS for ten tires?

They are expensive & I wonder how good they actually are.

I bought an EEZ system for my RV (6 tires) a few months ago. Love it. It measures tire pressure & temp. Here's an EEZ 10-sensor system.

I bit the bullet and purchased my system after finding out after a long drive that one of my rear duals was flat. Definitely a come to Jesus moment.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The issue is it is hard to check tire pressure at 55 mph.  That is when tires leak. 

Expensive, only if you don't care about your times.  We used 6 (truck) + 7 (trailer plus spare) + 5 (toad plus spare) = 18 sensors. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Our TST 507 TPMS has saved me significantly more than it cost by alerting me to slow and fast tire leaks after picking up a nail or screw while under way or driving over a chunk of steel road debris, a sticking brake caliper on our previous toad, and a failing wheel bearing on our previous coach. Add in not having to get down on my 74 year old knees to check pressures in 10 tires, especially in the rain, and I'd never have another RV without a quality TPMS like the TST installed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If you check your tires everyday, then a TMPS system would be good for you and your peace of mind. I have used Tiresafe-Guard for 4 years now and only lost one transmitter when the valve stem blew out of a tire which set off a warning and allowed me to stop in time to save the tire and rim from damage. I still check the tires manually once a month or before a long trip, even with the TMPS. My system was for 6 tires and cost about $350. I only use the TMPS for the trailer tires, my thought being I would hear/feel a truck tire going flat while driving, not so with the trailer.

Greg

I have been using Pressure Pro over 12 years now. I did replace the still working 9 years 6 month old sensors right before a summer trip.

I have never had a sensor stolen and the now over 12 year old monitor is still working, but it doesn't give tire temp's like the newer monitors do.

When on a trip I check pressure in all 10 every morning before getting on the road.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We had the pressure pro and now the TSP both systems worked well.We would not travel without a t ire monitor system.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We were two days into our winter getaway to South Carolina from Michigan.  Two or three trucks are hanging in my blind-spot blowing their horn.  Why . . . ?  We pulled over and found the toad's tire totally shredded and the rim rapidly going toward the junk-heap as well.  Changing a tire on the side of a three-lane and busy Interstate is nowhere near an experience we would recommend or want to suffer again.  Total bummer!

The very next thing we purchased was a TPMS from Craig's List.  Best hundred bucks we ever spent.  The tire pressures indicated are spot on and a relief.  Easily saved all the grief and was ultimately less expensive than the replacement tire on the toad.  By the way, the toad's tire was almost new.  And we could not see its destroyed tire from inside the MH.  

We will never travel without a TPMS ever again.  

Bill, NA8M

TST and Pressure pro both excellent customer service. 

They both will help through any issues. Replace items usually even if out of warranty. Have seen both do that. 

Have heard stories of off brands not providing any support. 

Shop wisely.  Sometimes saving a few buck up front may prove to cost more down the road especially agrivation. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

We've had our EEZ for over a year and just had a problem with one tire sensor occasionally dropping out. But since we pull a 42' 5W we thought it might be due to distance. We purchased the repeater and haven't had any more drop outs. Really like the system. Would recommend the non-flow thru caps as I've heard some people have had problems with the flow thru ones being too long and causing problems. But maybe that has been corrected. We've contacted EEZ a couple of times with questions and they were quick and very helpful with their responses. Good customer service.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

Thanks to all for your feedback.  I purchased a TST505 through TechnoRV & installed it on my dually truck yesterday.  It seems to be working fine, although it reads 2 psi lower on all tires than the "stick" gauge, which tested right on at the 2015 Redwood rally.

As soon as I get to my 5'er I will install the repeater & other sensors.

Archived