One Claim and 44% Increase

Aggie79-82a

I just received my renewal quote from National Interstate.  It 44% higher than last year.  My RV is a 2005 Newmar Mountainaire.  I have only had one claim in the two years we have been in the coach (our only coach ever).  Last year I had the right, front windshield replaced using my glass break insurance.  Cost approximately $1,250 with $100 deductible.

Is this a typical increase?  I'll be shopping around as soon as I can find a list of insurance companies for fulltimer's.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

We had allstate a few years ago and had a storm damage claim on our RV  of 3400 dollars that they determined was our fault because we had parked the RV in a RV lot in a campgr ound under a tree during a severe thunderstorm. Strangely enough our premiums went up by exactly that amount.You may find that these insurance companies share their claim data.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

My 2017 Nationwide fulltimers policy went up by 30% with no claims and no coverage changes. We reduced the agreed value a bit to hold the increase to 19%. In the past 4-5 years the increases have been in the 6-10% range while the agreed value remained the same so I felt the large jump this year was probably just catch up as the economy improves. We checked 3 other insurance companies and no one could come close to the cost and coverage. Good luck.

Our RLI umbrella policy went up 62% today from the last 3 years......because we turned 70!  I'm now asking what that will do to the truck and fifth wheel pices.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, Aggie79-82a said:

I just received my renewal quote from National Interstate.  It 44% higher than last year.  My RV is a 2005 Newmar Mountainaire.  

Do you perhaps have full replacement coverage??  That caused my policy to go up drastically because of the age of the coach. I dropped the full replacement option and the result was much more reasonable.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

AFchap, I do not have replacement value insurance.  When originally purchased, National stated they did not offer that coverage for my coach as I remember the conversation.

Will be calling them on Friday to try and find the reason for the increase.

It pays to shop around yearly for insurance and get at least 3 quotes. I recently had my Chevy 3500 insured with Farmers and again this year the policy increased by 10% even though the truck is now 11 years old (no collision coverage, just PL/PD and comp). I quoted Geico for the same coverage and my premium dropped by 55%. I know this sounds like a commercial, but it's true!!

Greg

You own no loyalty to any insurance company, as well-stated, shop around. In my case, I had Good Sam MH insurance, premium was around $900/yr. Got an email from Winnebago RV insurance, called Farm and City agency in IA, went with them for $481/yr., but they do not cover awnings. That was no issue for 18 yr. old awnings, they are due for replacement anyway, and the depreciation would have reduced their worth so much I wouldn't have received anything after deductible was subtracted.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...

Insurance update.  I did get three quotes as suggested.  There were definite differences between the quotes and my renewal.  One was $700 less than my renewal amount and the other two were about $500 above.  I went with the lowest quote which was from Miller Insurance Agency with National General Insurance being the insurance company.  This quote was for the RV and my tow vehicle.  It provided increased liability amounts on the tow vehicle and doubled my personal effects coverage.  Happy with the insurance cost for this year.  I do get a $150 refund for the remaining time on my Geico auto policy.

Thanks for all of the advice and comments.

My previous insurance company was my first RV insurance company.  We bought our first RV (2005 Newmar Mountainaire) April 2015 and moved in the day we made the purchase.  I would have preferred to stay with the same company but not at that rate increase.

Isn't this subject a bit like comparing apples with oranges and grapes? Without identical policies how do we make a comparison? And is 'cheaper' 'better' when it comes to making a claim? I always think of the old saying, "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

I saw red last week when I got my policy for our truck. Fumed for a day. Then decided to have a look at our policy, online, to see if there was anything I could do to get a better deal. OOPs. What I read was the full price. I always pay in full upfront and get a 20% discount. So in reality my policy on the truck is $15.00 less than last year. Progressive.

For those shopping around. Be warned. I've been told by a number of folks that getting multiple quotes rings alarm bells with insurance companies. How do they know? I don't know but I would be careful with getting multiple quotes.

regards

On 3/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, richfaa said:

You may find that these insurance companies share their claim data.

In my recent insurance shopping, I was told that Blue Sky may have the Underwriter problem is they didn't provide or use the claim data base.

My provider for a few more days is Blue Sky and in a few days plus one I will be insured with General saving a few coins.

When I was looking I shopped different companies and different agencies for the same company. It boiled down not to the cheapest but the agency that worked me in the most professional manner.

My home is 2016 DRV MS 38PS3 towed by 2015 FL Sports Chassis

Call the Miller agency

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, Ray,IN said:

You own no loyalty to any insurance company, as well-stated, shop around. In my case, I had Good Sam MH insurance, premium was around $900/yr. Got an email from Winnebago RV insurance, called Farm and City agency in IA, went with them for $481/yr., but they do not cover awnings. That was no issue for 18 yr. old awnings, they are due for replacement anyway, and the depreciation would have reduced their worth so much I wouldn't have received anything after deductible was subtracted.

So very true.  They are in it to make money for their stockholders; nothing more, nothing less regardless of who the company is.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

We have a full-timers policy with Progressive and our premium also went down at our renewal.  They do give a longevity discount as do many insurance company.  Our deductibles decrease the longer we go with no claims also.  Don't know what will happen if we have a claim, but I hope not to find out.

Pat DeJong

Keep in mind that there are only a few underwriters available in the world for insurance companies to use. (That's where the data sharing occurs). I hate insurance companies like everyone else. But they are also bound by what they can get from their underwriters.

My priority would be agent first then insurance company. You agent can be or should be you best friend.

regards

I was pleasantly surprised last week when our Progressive renewal showed up. This is the second time in 5 years with them that our motorhome premium has gone down. The first time it was only $9, but this time it's $53. No claims so far, so I don't know how that would effect things.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived