The Missing Manual

I have created a PDF document that attempts to cover the basics of the new forum software.

I consider this to be a work in progress, so feedback will be useful.  Also, if I missed something or a feature requires more explanation let me know.

The link will open the PDF or download it depending on your browser settings.  The images are somewhat blurry due to resizing.

The Missing Manual v1.0

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

Thanks Dave, I'll read through it before I decided to abandon my favorite forum completely. Haven't pulled the plug yet, but I'm close. This new format is a true PIA!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Thanks Dave, I glanced at it and will print it out to digest. I am acclimating to the forum, still think it is very time consuming and probably bandwidth consuming. I  find it strange that there had been no input(at least that I saw) from Escapees Technology area. It also seems the Forum has lost some of its members(at least for now). Would be curious as to statistics of members accessing forum prior to change and now.

I click on a bookmark in my browser that brings me directly to the "Unread content" listing, and by just clicking on "Mark site read" when I'm done, the next time I come back I only see new posts since my last visit. Works for me...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

And thanks to Dave's hard work on the "Missing Manual", I now have a "New since last visit" bookmark that works just like the previous forum software by using a custom activity stream. Thanks, Dave!

On edit: I also just learned that by setting my "New since last visit" activity stream as my default stream, the "Unread" button now reads "New since last visit". Cool!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dave, thanks so much for all the work and time you've put in to create this document and to answer others' questions.  One thing FYI... at the end of this document you have supplied two links. When I click on the first one I get "Could not locate the item EC 2C280/1".  When I click on the second link I get "Do not have permission to view this stream EC 2C 280/3".

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

45 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Dave, thanks so much for all the work and time you've put in to create this document and to answer others' questions.  One thing FYI... at the end of this document you have supplied two links. When I click on the first one I get "Could not locate the item EC 2C280/1".  When I click on the second link I get "Do not have permission to view this stream EC 2C 280/3".

The links are samples. 

Select a menu entry such as Unread.  Now use your browser to create a bookmark.   That will create a bookmark that looks like the second example. Now you can use the new bookmark to enter the forum with the unread posts displayed. 

After you finish reading select Mark site as read. The next time you visit you will see new posts. 

Line 3

Dang Dave!

Thanks! Are you in charge of running this forum software elsewhere? I copied the pdf and will read it later as I have an appointment with the Physical Terrorists in an hour.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Dang Dave!

Thanks! Are you in charge of running this forum software elsewhere? I copied the pdf and will read it later as I have an appointment with the Physical Terrorists in an hour.

MnTom posted a link to a five day IPS demo system, so I signed up.

I wanted to see what things really look like.  Escapees is using about 25% of the full capability.

Line 3

Oh! Gotcha. The admins only seem to spend time on the website when the usual suspect/s call their attention to them. I have not been to Rainbow's end in 19 years I just realized. Seems like yesterday.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Archived