$20/Mo Mobley Unlimited - Does it require maintaining a residential Direct TV Account

On the ATT Mobley site, at the bottom after note 3 in the "AT&T Unlimited Plan" paragraph: [ https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323 ]

• " AT&T Unlimited Plan: Select locations. Eligibility: Must remain active and in good standing on residential DIRECTV or U-verse® TV television service (TV) and the AT&T Unlimited Plan. "

• Customers must meet all eligibility requirements within 60 days of wireless activation. 

•  Lost Eligibility: You are removed automatically from the Unlimited Plan and moved to another plan if you do not meet all eligibility requirements.

•  Customers who cannot be moved back are moved to a plan with 10GB of shareable data and overage charge of $15 per GB.

OUCH!!!

4 minutes ago, DuffMan said:

On the ATT Mobley site, at the bottom after note 3 in the "AT&T Unlimited Plan" paragraph: [ https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323 ]

• " AT&T Unlimited Plan: Select locations. Eligibility: Must remain active and in good standing on residential DIRECTV or U-verse® TV television service (TV) and the AT&T Unlimited Plan. "

• Customers must meet all eligibility requirements within 60 days of wireless activation. 

•  Lost Eligibility: You are removed automatically from the Unlimited Plan and moved to another plan if you do not meet all eligibility requirements.

•  Customers who cannot be moved back are moved to a plan with 10GB of shareable data and overage charge of $15 per GB.

OUCH!!!

No that is the addon plan, its different, that's the plan with unlimited phones and regular hotspots, and actually that is old and incorrect now, you can get AT&T unlimited without directv now

You are looking in the wrong place. You want the Car Connection. It is a standalone plan for $20/22G. You can either order it from ATT on their website for free and commit to a 2 year contract or buy it outright from them for $99. Nothing to do with Directv. The thread on the $20 plan has the direct number to the Car Connection area. Read that thread.

I ended up ordering it online from ATT under the 1G plan, called up Car Connection and they bumped it to the $20/22G plan.

No existing account, add-on or other required.

Go here to order. Click "continue" then "continue" again under "new wireless customer". Choose either the $99.99 price ($0 Activation fee) or free with 2/year contract (+$45 activation fee). Select the 1gig/mo. plan. (Actually.. if I remember.. it's the only option available)

Once it arrives (mine came 2-day fedex free delivery), call  1-866-595-1222. Give them the phone number associated with your Mobley (found on your invoice) and ask for the unlimited plan. Ask the associate for your 12-digit account ID# before getting off the phone. It will simplify things for you later if you want to register an account with the AT&T website for online access.

You're done!

FYI: The 2yr contract has a $150 -$4/mo early termination fee. Around $2 in taxes/fees is added per month and there is a one time $2.50 plan change fee that is applied when you switch from your 1/gig plan to the unlimited (22gig) plan.

Ordering directly from AT&T, mine also came pre loaded with the 1.0.1 firmware.

My first new customer bill for the no contract is $49.68 to be charged to my CC on 3/26

Service started 3/2-3/5 with a $2.67 activity charge

$29.68 Activation charge

$20 monthly charge.

Bought the Mobley at Best Buy and it has the 1.0.1 filmware that I have changed to never off.

AT&T store set up the $20 22GB unlimited account and I set up the payment for it on line.

No question was ever asked if I had DirecTV or not. But if they check they would see that I do. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

29 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

$29.68 Activation charge

That's odd. Maybe because it was bought at Best Buy? Was it BB's activation charge or AT&T's?

Mine had no activation fee. $2.00 change of serive fee (1g to 22g plan). $2.01 per month in surcharges and fees. My first bill is due 04/01 for $24.01 and will be $22.01 thereafter. That's was also for the purchase outright and month to month plan.

Seems going directly through AT&T is both simpler and cheaper!

Activation Charge + Fees & Taxes is AT&T's.  First Bill due March 26th

Monthly Charges - Mar 6 thru Apr 5
1. Unlimited Data 20.00
Other Charges and Credits
Account Activity
2. Mobile Share Advantage 1GB 4.00CR
Credited from 03/02 - 03/05
3. Access for Vehicle WiFi Hotspot 4G LTE 1.33CR
Credited from 03/02 - 03/05
4. Unlimited Data 2.67
Charged from 03/02 - 03/05
5. Mobile Share Advantage 1GB 4.00
Charged from 03/02 - 03/05
6. Access for Vehicle WiFi Hotspot 4G LTE 1.33
Charged from 03/02 - 03/05   2.67

Total Account Activity

One-Time Charges  Date Description
7. 03/02 Activation Fee 25.00

Surcharges and Other Fees
8. Administrative Fee 0.76
9. Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge 1.25
Total Surcharges and Other Fees 2.01

Total Other Charges & Credits 29.68
Total for Wireless accounts 49.68

SURCHARGES AND OTHER FEES
In addition to the monthly cost of the rate plan and any selected features, AT&T imposes the following other charges on a per line basis:

(1) federal and state universal service charges,

(2) a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge of up to $1.25 to help defray its cost incurred in complying with obligations and charges imposed by state and federal telecom regulations,
(3) an Administrative Fee to help defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, such as interconnection and cell site rents and maintenance, and

(4) other government assessments, including without limitation a gross receipts surcharge and a Property Tax Allotment surcharge of $0.20 - $0.45 applied per Corporate
Responsibility User's assigned number. These fees are not taxes or government-required charges. See www.att.com/additionalcharges.

Monthly after the March 26th bill starting April 26th

$20

Other AT&T Surcharges  $0.31

Federal Universal Service Fund  $1.14

Administrative Fee  $0.76

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge  $1.25

911 Fee  $0.40

State & Local Tax  $2.93

Total Monthly Charges $26.79

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

24 minutes ago, gpete1961 said:

I tried to sign up for this plan, and the AT&T website is telling me the plan is $30/ month, and is not giving me an option of the $20/month 1 gig plan. Has AT&T changed their policy and pricing on this device?

No you can only get it over the phone or at a store, even best buy apparently can add it for $20. AT&T has never updated their website to reflect the new pricing, as pointed out earlier they still have some of the old wording about having directv to get unlimited which is also now incorrect.

gpete1961 is right. I just followed my own link... where I ordered mine... and now it DOES only give a $30/mo 3GB plan option ($0 activation w/purchase). As long as the car connect unlimited for $20/mo is still valid though, I would imagine it might be the same as before. Simply calling in after you receive your mobley to switch plans to the unlimited (22GB).. but I don't know that for sure.

Sure seem to be flipping around on their plans. Maybe that's what happened to biker56. Looks like I ordered mine 3 days after he bought his and wasn't charged an activation fee. I also purchased through an account and address that doesn't have state taxes so don't have the $2.93 monthly charge that he does. Hence the difference between his $26.79/mo to my $22.01/mo.

Can't begin to tell you the horror show I went through for three hours today with AT&T. Yesterday they told me they didn't have any Mobley units after I spent over 30 minutes on the phone setting up an account.

I bought one at Best Buy and had it shipped to my house. Showed up this AM. (amazing fast service!) Called AT&T and got the Connected Car folks. They had zero Idea about a Mobley, nevermind this plan.

Finally after four agents and three phone calls I went through the whole deal again only to be told I need to take the unit to an AT&T store as they couldn't program the SIM card over the phone.

So I jump in the car and go to two AT&T store. Both closed because we were supposed to get a HUGE snow storm. Ended up being 2" of slush and rain.

So tomorrow at 10AM I start the ordeal all over again at the AT&T store.

Wish me luck!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

• 1 month later...

I bought my ZTE Mobley last week using the car connect option on the AT&T site. Unit with no contract was $99 and unlimited Internet was $20.  Received my first bill this week and it was $22 and change. Was a bit sceptical on the service, but the unit works great. Currently have 3 bars of service with 12mb down and 6mb up.  What a deal. 

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

This is the best deal you can get in data plans, but AT&T is the devil -- thank goodness I don't have to rely on them for my regular cell phone plan. I bought two Mobleys, but not at the same time. I purchased both from Best Buy online. It was a nightmare to activate each Mobley. Between in-store visits and phone calls, it took me well over 6 hours to get them activated, so it may not be for the faint of heart. But if we are grandfathered in for a while, the pain will be worth it!

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

No nightmares here - just counting sheep, LOL.

Checked Best Buy web site for Mobleys.  Local store showed three. Bought one outright.  Salesperson "thought" I needed to go to AT&T store for activation. Figured, maybe he's right - but OK by me (I could return it for a full refund if it didn't work out).

Went to AT&T Corp store next day.....salesperson said he never heard of the plan.  But, with a minimum of effort on his part, he found it.  About 10-15 minutes later it was a done-deal.

He (we) went out to the SUV I was driving, plugged it in - and about 30 seconds later, up and running.

Works great - have received first bill for $20. plus one-time activation fee of $25..(I was aware of the activation fee).

BTW - using it at home w/ 110v adapter.

If purchased off ATT wireless site using car connection option, you don't need a contract, it's unlimited bandwidth and it comes activated. Just plug in and it works. I did buy the AC adapter off Amazon. Had no issues. The offer expires July 17. 

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

On 3/14/2017 at 4:18 PM, SWharton said:

You did call the Connected Car phone number. 800-595-1222. I called them 3 times and each time very knowledgable.

I also called the Connected Car gang to change over our Mobely (South online about 3-4 weeks ago from ATT.) over to the 22GB Unlimited Plan. 

The CSR rep that answered my phone, was not familiar with the plan. I asked her if I had connected to the Connected Car gang when i called, she said 'Yes.'. But, she then explained that where she was (Maybe different at different locations(?).) The Connected Car an normal ATT Mobile groups were merging together. She said she, and about 12 other CSR's had just been trained by Connected Car on their side of things. (And that the Connected Car gang had also been trained on the Mobile phone side of things too.). 

So I repeated again the fundamentals of what I wanted accomplished. She asked me to hold a few minutes while she did some checking. Came back on, and said she had found the plan. We went thru the steps to change things over. And she agains asked me to please hold, so that she could have her Supervisor (A form Connected Car Supervisor.) look things over before she submitted the data she had entered. Another few minutes, and she said he had said everything looked good. So she submitted. Asked me to please wait with her a few more minutes. Had me log out of my account, and then back on - and to please validate that what I saw matched what I expected. It did. 

=======

I share all of this, because at least at the office the worked out, that picked up the Connected Car phone call - the merge of these two departments meant that when people call in, it would be the luck of the draw on if a former Connected Car person picked up the phone, say vs a Mobile phone person. (And I was lucky, as the CSR really went out of her way to get it right.) Other's may not be as luck as I was, if they get someone not familiar with the plan... Be patient, and don't be afraid thank them, and call back and try again with another rep:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

3 hours ago, jerryneal said:

If purchased off ATT wireless site using car connection option, you don't need a contract, it's unlimited bandwidth and it comes activated. Just plug in and it works. I did buy the AC adapter off Amazon. Had no issues. The offer expires July 17. 

Did the rep say the offer expires July 17th?

6 hours ago, lexidog said:

Did the rep say the offer expires July 17th?

The July expiration date was previously posted on the AT&T Mobley web page.  The expiration date was removed from the page some time ago leaving us to wonder if the promotion will expire or not.  I hope it does not and if it does, that people who signed up prior to the July cutoff date will be grandfathered.  Only time will tell.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

30 minutes ago, jerryneal said:

levidog - The date was shown on the ATT website site as part of the car connection page when I purchased. That was around 2 weeks ago. 

What happens after that date? Does the plan go back to $40 a month to anyone that signs up after?

9 hours ago, lexidog said:

What happens after that date? Does the plan go back to $40 a month to anyone that signs up after?

That's my understanding. Several sites mention the "memo", but I haven't seen anything official. It was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 3:21 AM, SWharton said:

I have heard the July 17th date before from the rep at Car Connection.

When I called them the other day, they said that he did not see an end of promo date.  I called to ask because finding a Mobley at the regular price could not be found.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived