Input from Class B Couples

Daniel93

Hello all!

My fiance and I are beginning our RV hunt and leaning towards a Class B. 

Our plan is to live full time (hoping to start Spring 2018 after I graduate) as I run my sports massage business. 

Looking for input form others in a Class B on their pro's and con's. Also open to discussion from individuals against Class B. 

My only comment is that this would be an awfully small RV for living in all of the time. I suggest that you take a good look at the class C & smaller class A rigs as well since they cost very little more and have far more living space in them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I live in a 19ft Class B and find it fine for one person.  I spend most of my time working at campgrounds and am really only in my Roadtrek when I sleep.  So it probably depends on how much time you spend indoors.  I usually have volunteer or camp facilities to use like a kitchen and shower.

Dave and I started out in a Class B but it wasn't big enough for us. The black tank was too small for 2 people to use regularly. The height was too low for my 6'2" tall spouse. One of us had to sit down before the other could move. We only had 800 lbs CCC for the two of us so I even had to trade my jeans for light weight cotton slacks and we traded our Corelle dishes for plastic ones. We only lasted four months in that rig before upgrading to a Class C. As always, your mileage may vary.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hi Daniel..... my wife and I are in the same position. We have looked at a lot of Class B's and after about an hour in them, we can see they are too small for full time. We had hoped to get a B so we wouldn't have to have a toad, but it doesn't seem to work for us. So, we're looking at small (24' or less) class C's so at least we have breathing room. We also looked at holding tank size, thought maybe we could get a composting toilet or one of those dolly things. Then we could get a hydraulic ramp for my scooter for transportation, then maybe an outside shower.... finally, we realized that by the time we got the B to a workable unit, we had converted it to a class C anyway. I'm sure it can be done, but I after 47 years of marriage, I don't want it to end over a stupid RV.... good luck and keep in touch so we know what you decided.....

Jeff and Diane

Houselessnothomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

Check out the Class B Forum farther down the Escapees opening forum page.  You'll find a bit of active discussion about B's and B+'s.  We looked at a Class B with multi-month trips in mind, and found B's to be too small for us and two Cocker Spaniels.  Then we found our perfect fit for us with Phoenix Cruisers. Btw, we used to fulltime in a 40 ft Foretravel and a 30 ft Airstream trailer.  Phoenix has models ranging from 21 ft to 31 ft.  Here's a link to a used 26 ft model, then the link to the main website.  No, we don't work for Phoenix...just like what they do.  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/u?id=2009-Phoenix-Cruiser-2551-10781    http://www.phoenixusarv.com/index.html

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

A problem with Class Bs is that there is not much storage in them, especially in outside bins.  I think they are fine for a week or even a month's travel, but not for two people and not full-time.

Consider what you have to take when you full-time:  extra seasonal clothing, a suitcase possibly, legal records and bill-paying stuff, a vacuum cleaner, more clothing and bedding, etc.   I have a hanging file box with records of bills and maintenance receipts, plus income tax stuff, etc.  I have had to fly out several times for family emergencies so I have a suitcase and laptop carrier. 

Most of them do not have a real bed you can leave made up, which is a pain if one of you is sick or needs a nap.  And the seats are not comfortable for all day if you are stuck inside.  A small C will have a real bed, real bathroom with a separate shower, and underneath storage.

• 4 weeks later...

No class B experience here, but......my BetterHalf and I had a 11 foot truck camper for 3-4 years....and it was OK.  No fist-fights, but it was cramped, especially after we got 60 lb SlobberMouth and took her along. 

Does your Intended plan to work also...or will she stay in the Class B during the day ?  Do you plan to work out of the Class B?

A little late to the conversation, but I've been full time in a Class B (Sprinter conversion) for two years with a partner and three large dogs. We love it. It's nimble, we can take it just about anywhere (except where low clearance is a hindrance), park it just about any spot and still have room for all the things we love. Figuring out how you will live in the RV and what your priorities are should be first and foremost. My van is designed with a layout that works for me. We even get my partner's small wood lathe in the back under the bed. We do without some things, but we still have comfort and all the bells and whistles.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Archived