DAYS END HOW ORGANIZED AND DIFFERENCE FROM FREECAMPSITES.NET

FULLTIMEWANABE

Just wondering if anyone can share in more detail for searching, how the Days End is set up specifically for Boondocking/dry camping locations.   (Not having to wade through lots of non-boondocking listings when looking for specific states/areas within that state etc).   We like to travel starting and stopping at small places of interest or detouring a little off the beaten track if something has caught our interest during research of areas we are headed through, or someone local suggests "check out ....", and tend to stop to overnight as and when we feel like depending how the days unfold as we find things of interest.   Basically we hate being scheduled after years of that in our working years.

Also, are these listings in Days End, just the same listings for the most part  that one would get from Freecampsites.net?

Thanks for sharing how one utilizes the Days End for specific types of overnighting, it's ease of use and whether it is just a duplication of Freecampsites or not.

Well, I don't know of any of the free or low cost campsite websites like the one you mention which don't require research before going to.  I use Google Earth or the map on my smartphone to research what the site really looks like and just how easy it is to access. 

I have found that Days End gives some of the most exacting directions I have seen.  

Here is an example of a place very near Gold Beach, OR where we have stayed for a total of about 5 days one summer.  This location is not even listed in freecampsites.com or some other websites I have visited. 

OR, GOLD BEACH: Rock/gravel pkg area along Rogue Riv (state trust land). No facilities. Free. No signs. From US-101 MM 328 (S side of Rogue Riv bridge), set trip meter to 0, go xx.x mi E on Jerry's Flat Rd (signed Agness 35 mi) to where rd comes out of a curve into a straight stretch. Continue to xx.x mi, counting xx electric poles on the L (passing a yellow fire plug on the L, & just before rd again curves to R), TL (N) immed at xx pole & bear immed R on gravel rd (GPS xx.xxx -xx.xxxx), stay straight (no turns) on best gravel rd (a few potholes), 0.1 mi to riv. Room for all size rigs w/ riv access, ahead & 0.3 mi to R (E). Or continue E another 0.2 mi straight down a rd to end, & loop back to L along riv - OK for lg rig, but watch for sandy areas esp near the riv. Drive slow on rocky areas. Quiet at nite, hydrojet tour boats by day. Sheriff patrols. Other rds toward riv off Jerry's Flat Rd (before electric pole) are not for lg rigs. PHOTO. David & Jill Czaplicki #58885 Jul 11. Last updated by Dale Southern #75777 viewed Jul 15.

IMG_0172CampEMedium_zps24bf48ba.jpg

IMG_0176CampEMedium_zps479befec.jpg

This is not to say Days End is perfect.  There are a number of parking places listed I would not park at, also some which don't have easy access.  Over all this is the one I rely on.

Also Days End is monitored and updated by a dedicated monitor/editor, Guy Gibson.  Something some or many of the other sites don't have. 

We used Days End extensively on our 4.5 month (139 day) trip from Oregon to Alaska & back last year.  We dry camped or boondocked for 137 of those 139 days. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks Al, good to know that you place much faith in Days End.   For sure we have no problems signing up for it, just didn't want something that might just be a duplication of another for the most part.   

Keenly followed your Alaska trip with much interest when you were doing it and were particularly impressed how much you boondocked/dry camped which is just the way we love to travel.    Great Info :).    Mind sharing what other resources you utilise in order of preference for boon docking locations if any besides Days End. 

We discovered a long time ago that there  is not just one website you can use for any type of camping. We use multiple sites when looking and then there are all the campgrounds that aren't listed anyplace. On any  site you need to cull through the list and determine which ones meet your personal requirements.  Days End in our primary one for boondocking, have found some great locations with the Days End website.

7 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Thanks Al, good to know that you place much faith in Days End.   For sure we have no problems signing up for it, just didn't want something that might just be a duplication of another for the most part.   

Keenly followed your Alaska trip with much interest when you were doing it and were particularly impressed how much you boondocked/dry camped which is just the way we love to travel.    Great Info :).    Mind sharing what other resources you utilise in order of preference for boon docking locations if any besides Days End. 

I make extensive use of Google Earth to locate boondocking spots.  I will follow back country roads with GE looking for level spots to park.  I am not always successful with this method, but I do find some gems.  Even using Days End I will use GE to verify the location.  

We also will park at a NF, BLM or other CG and then drive the toad around looking for especially scenic spots to boondock at.  When we find a spot we may move the RV there and spend a day or two.  If the road looks in good enough condition to drive the RV we may just drive the RV along looking for a place to BD. 

It is kind of a hobby, trip planning and poking around looking for BD spots. 

Lots of people use various "freecampgound" websites. I have not spent much time using them.  The few times I have looked at them, the info is so sparse or outdated I just don't bother.  Maybe it is that I don't look for the right places there.

Some people love Allstays app for their smart phone.  Maybe I should use the app. 

Not a very organized approach I know.  But it is kind of fun. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We also use Day's End extensively...almost exclusively.

One thing I like about it is that you can do a search for a particular town to see if there are any boondocking sites nearby.

Another feature I use a lot, is the Day's End map where you enter beginning and ending locations, and it will find all the Day's End sites along that route.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Hi folks. There are certainly things that are listed on Days End that are not on https://freecampsites.net and vise versa. I think Days End is a fantastic resource and totally worth the small fee. Guy Gibson has been doing a great job managing it. The fee can avoided by contributing to the project.

I agree that there is no single fool proof free camping resource. The more the better. It is also best to do your due diligence before driving down some random single lane forest road in your 40' DP with a toad. Call ahead. The ranger's office knows the status and condition of the roads and areas they manage better than anyone.

I would also like to say a few things about freecampsites.net. I am one of the two people who created, manage, update, and moderate it. We are 9th year full-timers who stay at free camping locations exclusively. We are also Escapees.

We are dedicated. We moderate all submissions and reviews that come in, everyday. Like Days End, we depend on the community to help us keep it up to date. The status of campsites change all of the time. So please, if you use the site, help keep it updated by leaving reviews.

We have a trip router that allows you to see free camping (and dump station) options along your way.

Thanks for listening. Best wishes on your boondocking adventures.

Thanks for the update!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 3 months later...

There are so many ways to research next stop that we keep a list of resources on the pullout by the navigator. The first Go To is DaysEnd. It has help me find wonderful campsites in the middle of small town USA with Electric AND WiFi and roadside spots that are left over from road construction in the middle of no place. we are new members of BoonDockers Welcome and really enjoyed our first experience. Harvest Host is more for a planned excursion than a random roadside stop, but we have had great experiences using that too. COE can cost a bit, but often the locations are wonderful. And that's just the first half of our list :)

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

Archived