Which Microwave Oven?

Jemstone

I have a 2010 Volvo 730 and I'd like to add a microwave oven.  I am hoping that a group member has recently purchased a microwave that fits well and is wiling to share the make and model.  I'm looking forward to hot coffee while on the road, as I run through the thermos contents pretty quickly.  Suggestions?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

I don't know the exact model but I bought a cheapo WalMart brand (Small) for about $50 and it works great for what you want to do.  It's not going to cook a pot roast though.:P

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

12 hours ago, Jemstone said:

One of my life goals has been to cook a pot roast in a microwave while driving through the Yukon.  Oh well, life is full of difficult compromises.

Hi Jemstone,

I have a little info for you. My truck is a 2012 Volvo 630. I think your upper cabinet is the same size as my upper cabinet. This is the microwave I have in my truck. Magic Chef model #MCM770WI, 0.7cu.ft., 700 watts. Here is the most important number. The microwave is 17" wide. The opening in my cabinet is 17 1/2" (17.5"). I bought mind at Home Depot for $44. They had a sale going on at Christmas time.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks for the replies.  I would not have thought of the inverter issue till it acted up and even then would not have thought of it till I tested almost everything else that could have created the problem.  I'll install an upgraded inverter when I install the microwave.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

• 3 years later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:07 AM, Sinbad5024 said:

We purchased the Hamilton Beach 0.9 cu ft, 900W and it fits our 780 just fine. Found it on an end cap in Walmart for $50. Wife wanted red to match the truck.

are these 110v plug ins, i have a/c connections in the cabinets, or do you get a converter a/c to 110 to plug into. i dd just have a 2000w inverter installed recently. Using for full time RV ing .

I got the smallest one they had at Walmart. 3 years and it's never been used. Probably never will but it's plugged in and can be if I get an inspection. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6 hours ago, Marin said:

are these 110v plug ins, i have a/c connections in the cabinets, or do you get a converter a/c to 110 to plug into. i dd just have a 2000w inverter installed recently. Using for full time RV ing .

They are 110v ac  There are no 12 volt dc microwaves that I am aware of. Make sure your inverter is a pure sine wave type of you use it to run the microwave. Ours is just on an outlet that works only when we are plugged into shore power or a generator as we do not use ours going down the road.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have used our microwave going down the road, it is a great tool for warming coffee back up.

I think we have made instant oatmeal once as well if I recall correctly.

Big issue is the autopilot does not always keep the lane, so I have to keep one eye out the windshield as I move about the cabin.

👁️🤨😜😂

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

We found our 700 watt microwave on Facebook Marketplace for $15. Never used by the first owner. Width is key. 

Oh, keep some bubble wrap inside. The glass rotating platter rattles going down the road. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I use a short section of pool noodle to keep the glass tray in place while running down the road.

I wedge it vertically on the glass up to the roof of the microwave.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

One other thing to keep in mind, especially if you are replacing an existing inverter for one providing more wattage out.  Microwave ovens do not operate efficiently on a "modified sine wave" inverter (Jack calls them truck stop inverters).  They will work on a MSW but the microwave cooking power is drastically reduced.  Most all of the inexpensive dorm size microwaves that will fit in our trucks depend upon an internal transformer to step up the voltage for the Klystron.  Unlike a true sine wave, the needed peak power need for a transformer to provide its design voltage is not provided by a MSW inverter.  You can still cook a pot roast, but it might take 3 hours on a MSW and 1 hour on a true sine wave.  Larger and more expensive microwaves offering inverter technology as a feature perform more efficiently on a MSW.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!