Best Truck To Tow 38' Trailer?

Adele

5 hours ago, Mntom said:

I want an HDT, but the way things went last week I need to put it off for a while...........

Becareful what you wish for, if a HDT would have had a similar breakdown that your Ram experienced last week, your repair bill would have been closer to $2k, not $650. You might be wise to call a HDT dealer and investigate the cost of a typical clutch repair on a HDT. I will probably hear that HDT's are made to run longer, but all mechanical things break down eventually. I have many repair cost comparisons between my Chevy and my son's Freightliner, the repair $$ difference is huge.

Greg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

Becareful what you wish for, if a HDT would have had a similar breakdown that your Ram experienced last week, your repair bill would have been closer to $2k, not $650. You might be wise to call a HDT dealer and investigate the cost of a typical clutch repair on a HDT. I will probably hear that HDT's are made to run longer, but all mechanical things break down eventually. I have many repair cost comparisons between my Chevy and my son's Freightliner, the repair $$ difference is huge.

Greg

Big diff in commercial and recreation use cost. Anyway for the added safety I would gladly pay the difference

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Clutch is around 1500 plus or minus new or resurface flywheel, input shaft, clutch brake, fork, slave cylinder, etc.  As low as 450 for parts for an Eaton 13sp.  If you can wrench its simple.  If you have to pay, labor is around 800-1200 depending on shop rates.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Big diff in commercial and recreation use cost. Anyway for the added safety I would gladly pay the difference

Here is a example on the pay difference. Son bought a 06 FL 2 years ago for $22k and that year spent $30k on maint, mostly trans and cooling issues. Bought a 99 FL 6 months ago for $17k, now need to do an in frame engine rebuild, est parts $10-15k and 2 weeks wrenching (I'm sure cost will double when done). You need deep pockets when owning/operating an older HDT. Not all trucks need this much work, but the risk is high they will and the commercial or recreation cost for parts/labor is the same.

Edit - I just quoted a new 2017 Chevy for $57k which sounds like a better deal than these 10-18 year old trucks. As far as safety, a new Chevy has air bags and safety features that a HDT does not have, if you experience a roll over, which truck would you rather be in?

Greg

Glenn......some of us just do not want a HDT, or a MDT for that matter.  We are glad your HDT fills your needs.  I do believe that our 2014 F350 is very safe towing our trailer, we have been towing full time with a F350 for over 10 years and are very happy with it as you are with your HDT.  You aren't going to sell us on a HDT and I'm not going to try and sell you on a 1 ton dually.  To each their own as long as we are all safe.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, gjhunter01 said:

Here is a example on the pay difference. Son bought a 06 FL 2 years ago for $22k and that year spent $30k on maint, mostly trans and cooling issues. Bought a 99 FL 6 months ago for $17k, now need to do an in frame engine rebuild, est parts $10-15k and 2 weeks wrenching (I'm sure cost will double when done). You need deep pockets when owning/operating an older HDT. Not all trucks need this much work, but the risk is high they will and the commercial or recreation cost for parts/labor is the same.

Edit - I just quoted a new 2017 Chevy for $57k which sounds like a better deal than these 10-18 year old trucks. As far as safety, a new Chevy has air bags and safety features that a HDT does not have, if you experience a roll over, which truck would you rather be in?

Greg

Come on Greg,

Comparing an 18 year old truck with probably over 750,000 miles on it that was bought for $17K to a new pickup priced at 3 1/2 times that price is more than a little unfair. Is a HDT for everyone? No, but I can pretty well guarantee my new Kenworth T680 will still be running long after I am gone. The warranty period is 7 years and 500K miles. I doubt that I will ever have a major repair on this truck in what remains of my lifetime.

Everyone's lifestyle is different as are their budgets, wants, needs and desires. I have owned medium duty trucks and still have my pickups (including a F350 dually) but prefer pulling our heavy fifth wheel with a HDT. That is what I prefer and felt justified in my purchase.

You feel justified in yours and that is fine. No matter the tow vehicle, make sure you tow safely and stay within all of the truck limits including GVWR, GCWR, front and rear axle ratings and tire ratings. The only thing that I want is a safe RV'r on the road with me, not someone pulling a 24K toy hauler with a F250 single rear wheel truck.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

One thought on the 1 ton vs the HDT truck. I think most of us HDT people have pulled a fifth with a  1 ton or 3/4 ton truck. I would suggest that those that have not driven a HDT would do so. There is a reason we pull our rigs with a HDT. It is not ego BUT safety power,better ride etc. As far as getting around I can get any where a 1 ton duelly  can get,

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

• 3 weeks later...
On May 1, 2017 at 2:01 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Come on Greg,

Comparing an 18 year old truck with probably over 750,000 miles on it that was bought for $17K to a new pickup priced at 3 1/2 times that price is more than a little unfair. Is a HDT for everyone? No, but I can pretty well guarantee my new Kenworth T680 will still be running long after I am gone. The warranty period is 7 years and 500K miles. I doubt that I will ever have a major repair on this truck in what remains of my lifetime.

Everyone's lifestyle is different as are their budgets, wants, needs and desires. I have owned medium duty trucks and still have my pickups (including a F350 dually) but prefer pulling our heavy fifth wheel with a HDT. That is what I prefer and felt justified in my purchase.

You feel justified in yours and that is fine. No matter the tow vehicle, make sure you tow safely and stay within all of the truck limits including GVWR, GCWR, front and rear axle ratings and tire ratings. The only thing that I want is a safe RV'r on the road with me, not someone pulling a 24K toy hauler with a F250 single rear wheel truck.

X2. Warranty on our Western Star is 5/500,000 engine, 5/750,000 transmission and axles. We will replace the truck way before the warranty runs out. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

On May 17, 2017 at 7:35 PM, NoDirectionHome said:

Same here... I have the Detroit EW4 warranty.  (5yr/500K)  Cheap insurance in the long run.

Amen!

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived