Adele

Best Truck To Tow 38' Trailer?

56 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mntom said:

I want an HDT, but the way things went last week I need to put it off for a while...........

Becareful what you wish for, if a HDT would have had a similar breakdown that your Ram experienced last week, your repair bill would have been closer to $2k, not $650. You might be wise to call a HDT dealer and investigate the cost of a typical clutch repair on a HDT. I will probably hear that HDT's are made to run longer, but all mechanical things break down eventually. I have many repair cost comparisons between my Chevy and my son's Freightliner, the repair $$ difference is huge.

Greg

That would be why I am going to have to wait. The money I had set aside for those type of repairs went to getting my wife fixed up. I am figuring her bills alone will be over $10k.............

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

Becareful what you wish for, if a HDT would have had a similar breakdown that your Ram experienced last week, your repair bill would have been closer to $2k, not $650. You might be wise to call a HDT dealer and investigate the cost of a typical clutch repair on a HDT. I will probably hear that HDT's are made to run longer, but all mechanical things break down eventually. I have many repair cost comparisons between my Chevy and my son's Freightliner, the repair $$ difference is huge.

Greg

Big diff in commercial and recreation use cost. Anyway for the added safety I would gladly pay the difference

Clutch is around 1500 plus or minus new or resurface flywheel, input shaft, clutch brake, fork, slave cylinder, etc.  As low as 450 for parts for an Eaton 13sp.  If you can wrench its simple.  If you have to pay, labor is around 800-1200 depending on shop rates.

12 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Big diff in commercial and recreation use cost. Anyway for the added safety I would gladly pay the difference

Here is a example on the pay difference. Son bought a 06 FL 2 years ago for $22k and that year spent $30k on maint, mostly trans and cooling issues. Bought a 99 FL 6 months ago for $17k, now need to do an in frame engine rebuild, est parts $10-15k and 2 weeks wrenching (I'm sure cost will double when done). You need deep pockets when owning/operating an older HDT. Not all trucks need this much work, but the risk is high they will and the commercial or recreation cost for parts/labor is the same.

Edit - I just quoted a new 2017 Chevy for $57k which sounds like a better deal than these 10-18 year old trucks. As far as safety, a new Chevy has air bags and safety features that a HDT does not have, if you experience a roll over, which truck would you rather be in?

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01