Trailer as bed

Black

Hello all,

Even though I might still be a few years from full-timing AND deployed out of the country, last week I saw a 2004 VNL 780 on Craigslist and because of the price, I couldn't resist picking it up (my Pop did it for me). Although I'm a fan of the pre-emissions years, I'm also a fan of the newer body style so...here I am.  Funny enough, it's black which matches my user name.

Anyway, I've been lurking for quite some time and picking up tips and one of the things I've always wondered is why no one uses a car trailer or utility trailer as their bed? Since I still have a few years, I'll be back to perusing Craigslist and Ebay and unless there's a huge reason why not, I think my next purchase is going to be an inexpensive car hauler.  I'll cut the tongue, axle mounts, pull the axles/fenders, and set that on top of the back of the truck for my bed...preferably in the 12-14ft range.

Since I'm not planning on singling, this seems like an inexpensive and quick way to get a bed that I know is rated for the weight I want to carry. Since I see them in the range of $800-$1000 quite a bit, it should be rather inexpensive especially after I sell the axles/tires.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing or just don't understand as a new guy?

Welcome,

Unless it is a deckover trailer "most" car or utility trailers are narrower than a bed would generally be.      A flat bed from an old truck would be a better fit in every way and still cheap.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Good point, I hadn't considered the SMART crowd who needs every inch of space. For my uses though, I don't need to go that wide but could always weld side "extensions" if need be.

I haven't seen too many cheap truck flat beds, I'll certainly keep an eye out though. Thanks for the comment!

In addition to what Steve says, most open car hauler trailers that we have seen are just a metal frame work with a wood deck although some have a metal deck. If you plan to install a 5th wheel hitch you would need to build a frame to support the hitch and the load of the trailer. and installing that above the truck frame may make the hitch be too high. Why not just extend the truck frame to what you need and use that to mount the hitch and then just build a wood deck if you do not need to haul a smart car at the moment. Just make sure you run ground wires to all your lights. If you are planning to pull a bumper hitch style trailer or no trailer, then there probably is nothing wrong with what you want to do.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Black,

We have a 20 ft Morgan cargo box (Ex-Ryder box) on our 97 Freightshaker Century Class Tandem and it has been more handy than pockets in blue jeans......

The roll up back door and the 4 ft wide curb--side door is VERY nice.

These Box-Truck cargo boxes are MUCH more well built than the best car hauler and they mount in just minutes and you are down the road with a commercial grade box that will last for ever.

Once you start looking around you will be amazed how nice some are and prices can be a steal at times and some come with lift gates that can lift a car into the bed.

We use various ramps to load our box and have hauled any kind of toad from 1-ton trucks to way too much junk.......almost too handy at times.....

Drive on.........(Think in the....."box")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'd seen your comment before about the cargo box and was wondering how you mounted it, do you just use stake pockets and pins so that you can set it in place when you want it and take it off when you don't? Do you use slide-in camper style jacks to lift it up or do you have a forklift? Also, did you extend your frame past the box so that you can still tow a 5th or bumper pull?

I'd thought about the box route but would need to extend the hitch "deck" so that I would have clearance for the 5th to turn. How do you handle that part of it (or are you a bumper pull)?

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

In addition to what Steve says, most open car hauler trailers that we have seen are just a metal frame work with a wood deck although some have a metal deck. If you plan to install a 5th wheel hitch you would need to build a frame to support the hitch and the load of the trailer. and installing that above the truck frame may make the hitch be too high. Why not just extend the truck frame to what you need and use that to mount the hitch and then just build a wood deck if you do not need to haul a smart car at the moment. Just make sure you run ground wires to all your lights. If you are planning to pull a bumper hitch style trailer or no trailer, then there probably is nothing wrong with what you want to do.

Dave

Dave,

From looking at the photos, I'd assumed that some of the beds were framework mounted on top of the frame while the hitch was part of the frame extension....basically the bed has a hole in it for the hitch to extend through OR the bed ends short of the hitch(seems to be preferred method).  This is a big downfall of not having the freedom to go look and touch stuff, it's only through repeatedly bothering good folks like yourself or poring over internet pictures that don't always have the angle that shows what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, Black said:

I'd seen your comment before about the cargo box and was wondering how you mounted it, do you just use stake pockets and pins so that you can set it in place when you want it and take it off when you don't? Do you use slide-in camper style jacks to lift it up or do you have a forklift? Also, did you extend your frame past the box so that you can still tow a 5th or bumper pull?

I'd thought about the box route but would need to extend the hitch "deck" so that I would have clearance for the 5th to turn. How do you handle that part of it (or are you a bumper pull)?

Nevermind, I just "stalked" you online and read many of your posts, it sounds like you've got a nice bumper pull toy/horse hauler setup and your mpg is awesome to boot! 

There's a flatbed for sale in North West Al. That would do what your looking to do. I think there asking around $900.oo for it.  Flat bed for sale I started to check on it, Was going to put it on top of a set of 12,000 lb axles. Make a cheap dump trailer. But may have found a 16ft Dump trailer. And if I go with it, will not buy the 53ft gooseneck trailer for the gooseneck, axles and frame to build the dump out of. Figured I would have $4000. in it by the time I did all the work. So just buy one and not do the work.

Got to haul lots of gravel for our RV shed. Building up around it, and may add a spot for guest to hook up also.

event.png

A couple of different options:

15_Jennings_c.jpg

On Jay's truck the hitch is on a slider and can be repositioned for traveling or shaper turns:

14_Meacham_c.jpg

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

The picture of the white truck has me rethinking everything...that seems like a pretty good option and doesn't add that much overhang.  Would you happen to know how long that box is? My WAG is 12' but it might be a tad more.

I'm still curious how Dollytrolley get's his box on and off the back of the truck in a few minutes, my assumption is stake pockets but he's probably implemented a better idea.

11 hours ago, Black said:

The picture of the white truck has me rethinking everything...that seems like a pretty good option and doesn't add that much overhang.  Would you happen to know how long that box is? My WAG is 12' but it might be a tad more.

I'm still curious how Dollytrolley get's his box on and off the back of the truck in a few minutes, my assumption is stake pockets but he's probably implemented a better idea.

The white truck is mine. Box is 96" wide x 14" inside front to back. There are two shelves in the front, and my jeep fits under the shelf. Has to be a Jeep TJ to fit. I can send you pic's via email if you like. I don't play well with trying to post pictures on this forum. Hell with the changes I don't play well at all on this forum anymore. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

3 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

The white truck is mine. Box is 96" wide x 14" inside front to back. There are two shelves in the front, and my jeep fits under the shelf. Has to be a Jeep TJ to fit. I can send you pic's via email if you like. I don't play well with trying to post pictures on this forum. Hell with the changes I don't play well at all on this forum anymore. 

I'd love to see pics of the garage as that gives me ideas for the motorcycles too. Please send to bluelghtning 'at' gmail 'dot' com. Thanks. 

Is there some space between the cab/box? Anything still in there you need to get to or no biggie with the box right there? I would assume you have a weedburner exhaust? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I did go to a weed burner.

Before box was installed replaced cab air bags, shocks and leveling valve. The box would have to be moved back 2 or 3 feet to access them now. 

I'll send you pictures, I've actually hauled motorcycles in the box. I have e track mounted in the floor. And eye hooks in each corner.

The big advantage is the additional storage as we full time. And the fact I don't have to double tow a daily driver. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

Thanks for the info, I just PM'd you and am looking forward to seeing the pictures! My vehicle is a Suzuki Samurai with thoughts of using a Jeep YJ instead. I figure there might be 8 of us total when the parents visit so if I can fit the Sammy/Jeep and 2 motos (200cc small bikes), we should all be able to visit some of the places that are off the main roads that the truck won't get too. Being 96" wide, there oughta be space. 

How long is your rear deck?

I really like that setup, plus that gives us options not to actually have to buy a toy hauler and have more living space in the 5th wheel. My biggest worry about a 5th wheel toy hauler with toys was always having to unload them if we want that space in the back and frankly I just don't like the layout of a lot of them. As mentioned too, the box gives you other storage options outside the trailer too. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

8 hours ago, Black said:

Thanks for the info, I just PM'd you and am looking forward to seeing the pictures! My vehicle is a Suzuki Samurai with thoughts of using a Jeep YJ instead. I figure there might be 8 of us total when the parents visit so if I can fit the Sammy/Jeep and 2 motos (200cc small bikes), we should all be able to visit some of the places that are off the main roads that the truck won't get too. Being 96" wide, there oughta be space. 

How long is your rear deck?

Pictures sent

deck length is 6 foot. Remember you will need at least 55" clearance between box and your trailer. 

As you can see we carried a Tracker for a couple years. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

6 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I really like that setup, plus that gives us options not to actually have to buy a toy hauler and have more living space in the 5th wheel. My biggest worry about a 5th wheel toy hauler with toys was always having to unload them if we want that space in the back and frankly I just don't like the layout of a lot of them. As mentioned too, the box gives you other storage options outside the trailer too. 

If you're serious about your toys, you need the deck/box AND the toy hauler.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was just at a local auto savage yard today for my day-job.  They had a whole row of take-off flatbeds from medium and light trucks of various lengths.  

In the application of putting a bed on a HDT, this may be an affordable option with only slight modifications...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

On 3/14/2017 at 5:23 AM, Black said:

Hey Black,

Sorry a bit late getting back to you.

Depending on where we are we are land / home(s) poor depends on how we pick off or load the cargo box on the old Freightshaker.......one location we have a way too big truck crane another we have several sizes of forklifts and other locations we use a few camper jacks and another we have some old aircraft jacks. 

The bed is mounted on the truck rails with standard draw-bolts and plates cinched down with elastic lock nuts (3/4") pretty stone-age but pretty standard method and between the truck frame and the cargo box frame rails we have some OLD oak beams to space the box up enough to allow tire clearance in a cross ditch angle critical axle deflection.

To tell the truth we have become so addicted to the cargo box it is almost unthinkable to take it off anymore......just way too handy.

The cargo box wiring is terminated in a standard 7 pin plug so it just plugs into the truck like any trailer would.

Box make a great work shop when we unload the toad and the big fiberglass ramps (12 ft 3 ton) are so easy to climb that a late model Corvette can drive up and load in the box with ease.

With commercial locks and latches the scumbags don't even consider trying to get in the box when locked way too tough to try to get into.

Once you have a cargo box everything else is.........just ....out of the box....

Drive on........(whats in your.....box)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You've sold me on the box, that's now my new Craigslist search and I'll soon put out an APB among friends so I can start gathering prices and know when the right one comes along.  My thought is a box along with removal dovetail that holds the 5th hitch. I'm still contemplating if it's worth the fab hassle to save 6 ft of deck from time to time but on the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard of a design either (but pretty darn heavy).

This'll save me from building/buying a bed, get's me a garage, and if I need to haul anything longer (without the trailer) than 14', I can always leave the back door up

10 minutes ago, noteven said:

How did you get a look at my project file :o ?

When we had signatures, yours mentioned riding motorcycles.............;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, Black said:

You've sold me on the box, that's now my new Craigslist search and I'll soon put out an APB among friends so I can start gathering prices and know when the right one comes along.  My thought is a box along with removal dovetail that holds the 5th hitch. I'm still contemplating if it's worth the fab hassle to save 6 ft of deck from time to time but on the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard of a design either (but pretty darn heavy).

This'll save me from building/buying a bed, get's me a garage, and if I need to haul anything longer (without the trailer) than 14', I can always leave the back door up

You'll still need a structure on the back to hold the box and tie into. Think everything in a bed without the decking. :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived