Welding machine

GlennWest

I have lately a lot of need to weld. Considering a unit I can use, small footprint and low power demand. Home Depot has the Lincoln 140 mig unit. Low duty cycle but believe I can deal with that. Any huge jobs I would us bosses' shop. Really would rather have the the 180 unit but it needs 220 at 50 amps. Just not useable at rv parks. By the way, those I have asked about welding in park is be discrete and considerate of neighbors

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discrete, actually yes. I can put up 4 blinds and you won't know what I'm doing. We do it at work all the time. Safety actually made us put in a window so they could peek in on us. Sorry rascals, lol. Actually most parks we are in are full of construction workers so if park manger on board no issue. 1/4" is heaviest I would weld likely. Need to build my frame for mini split unit, mount boxes on truck. Never used the small mig units. All I have run are the units on job. They run on 480 or 500 amp diesel machines.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We used screens when I was working too. Some were red see through and some were even canvass. I have been flashed quite a few times since I an a retired fitter. If you want  a sweet little welder, take a look at THESE. I have been on jobs and have used these a few times and one foreman was welding 1/4" with LO-HI. They can also be used for TIG. The ones I used were 120v or 240v and you didn't need to select the voltage. They did that themselves.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

4 minutes ago, Mntom said:

We used screens when I was working too. Some were red see through and some were even canvass. I have been flashed quite a few times since I an a retired fitter. If you want  a sweet little welder, take a look at THESE. I have been on jobs and have used these a few times and one foreman was welding 1/4" with LO-HI. They can also be used for TIG. The ones I used were 120v or 240v and you didn't need to select the voltage. They did that themselves.

Actually used the Miller "suitcase" as we refer to them. They weld OK. Hard to start, low amp initially. Work much better on 220 though. Stick welding is messy. Reason I won't to mig. If in a shop on concrete where i can clean easily stick would be my preferred.

The suitcase welders sure are handy, and if you get into the ones that can be used with gas instead of Flux wire I like them even more but not for heavier work.  When I first bought my Hobart 210, 50A 220,  I ran it on a 5K generator 20A 220v and it welded good at the lower half of the machines capacity, it just didn't have the ability to do heavy work.  Now that the house and shop have ample power and 50A 220v recepticals I just plug the genny into one of them for backup power when needed, its enough for the furnace, sump pump and freezer.

The Lincoln is a nice machine but I would be wary of the 1/4" claims, it's tough to get that with ANY 120V welder.  Lincoln, Hobart, Miller.....they'll all say they can do it but that's with proper prep including cleaning, beveling, pre-heat, etc. 

EDIT: Just noticed that you mentioned running the higher units on the job which I take to mean that you're more than just a hobbyist when it comes to welding. If that's the case, at least you can evaluate the penetration.

43 minutes ago, spindrift said:

I have a 120V portable and it's junk...unless I'm the one doing something wrong.

I use to use a 120V . It did every thing I needed , even though sometimes it took two or three passes . 

And , it was a fairly cheap one , to boot . It cost about a hundred bucks .

Goes around , comes around .

11 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Glenn, these are a lot smaller than the suitcase machines. THIS is the welder I was thinking about. They have a shoulder strap for carrying. I found a short video that shows you the size.

That is what is at work.They are used for supports where small welding jobs.are. 2X2 angle or such. 20 amp circuit and heavy cord, they work as long as no one else is on that line.

4 minutes ago, tyates007 said:

Glen take a look at the Hobart handler MVP. This little machine will run on 120 or 240. This would give you a few more options if you have the power available. 

That sounds interesting. That may work. Have to see what the 220v amp needs to be though. Might could run on 30 amp rv plug. That would work great if so..

Have you considered a small inverter tig machine?  You can run some pretty good welds on 120. I have 2 of them. I have a thermalarc and a longevity. I like the thermal dynamics machine better. I have run a lot of weld with these machines on a 2500 watt generator. 

Glen,

You could use a 240 volt welder at a 50 amp site with a simple adapter plug.    The RV plug has both current carrying conductors split into two 120 legs.    You will need a plug for the hookup and a NEMA 6-50 receptacle, wire the two hots and ground to the 6-50 and ignore the neutral.   

Steve   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

13 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

The more I research them, the more I believe no 110v mig unit will do a satisfactorily job with anything heavy as 1/4".

Check out this link, it's a test of an Everlast welder and it's pretty comprehensive as far as theory, tests, conjecture, and some humor as well. 

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?452801-110v-Mig-welding-1-4-steel

In the end, the conclusion was there's no substitute for power....

We switched from a Lincoln square wave 185 TIG unit (transformer) to a Miller Dynasty 210 (inverter) and it was a significant upgrade in quality, usability, capability, ease of use.

There are no starting issues with the Miller TIG, in fact it is easier than the larger Lincoln transformer unit.

We also use a Miller MIG which is a very capable machine. The Dynasty units are 110/220V, we only use the 220v. But at 110 they are quite portable.

I have an old Miller 130, 120/240 volt.  I've always used it on 120v w/ .030 flux core.  It does a nice job up to 3/16", but struggles with 1/4".  It was about $450, 25 years ago.  It weighs 70# with no wire or leads.  It's a struggle to carry it to the top of grain bins or the grain elevator.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have a Hobart Handler 180 (220v) and still can't weld worth sh**t, so must not be the machines fault, huh?:D

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived