Welding machine

GlennWest

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

The more I research them, the more I believe no 110v mig unit will do a satisfactorily job with anything heavy as 1/4".

Glenn:  Unless the machines have improved dramatically, you will not be able to weld 1/4 (steel) with a 120vac machine.  I owned a Hobart (Handler ??) for 15 years and welding 3/16" steel was pushing it's limits.  But it did 1/8 all day long, and with shielding gas, I could lay down some very pretty welds.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I have a Hobart Handler 180 (220v) and still can't weld worth sh**t, so must not be the machines fault, huh?:D

I have not yet anyone who can sit down and play a concert piano first try, after 17 years of TIG welding I am still practicing and learning, so keep at it ;)

5 minutes ago, MsChrissi said:

I have not yet anyone who can sit down and play a concert piano first try, after 17 years of TIG welding I am still practicing and learning, so keep at it ;)

At least I can finally see my "puddle".  Still can't tell though whether it's metal from my welder or just my bladder leaking.:o

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

42 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

At least I can finally see my "puddle".  Still can't tell though whether it's metal from my welder or just my bladder leaking.:o

If you went and welded every day like Glen does, you would improve quickly.  But as a weekend hobbyist, it's easy to not touch it for weeks or months and then have to "Re-learn" how to move the stick.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Glenn,

I just bought the Miller 215 and really like it. I have it connected to 220V in my shop but like the idea that it can be used on 110V as well. I also bought the spool gun for some aluminum welding. Also, bought the tig kit for it. Also upgraded a plasma cutter to a multi voltage unit with built in compressor. Both very compact and portable.

Spend the couple extra dollars for a Lincoln or Miller.  The other "Harbor Freight" junk will only frustrate you.  Red and Blue both make nice little 110v units.  I have a Lincoln 175 MIG (220v) that works great.  A good friend of mine (retired millwright and certified to weld everything including pressure vessels)  has a Miller 145 (110v) that he does most everything with.  Great little machines.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I have the Hobart 190 and i like it.  It is 220v only, but draws less than 50a. I run it on a 20a breaker  

I'm too cheap to buy a bottle of co2, so i just use flux core. 

I think it would blow a hole through 1/4" if i tried.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Just now, Exile said:

I have the Hobart 190 and i like it.  It is 220v only, but draws less than 50a. I run it on a 20a breaker  

I'm too cheap to buy a bottle of co2, so i just use flux core. 

I think it would blow a hole through 1/4" if i tried.

And it came with with an aluminum gun too.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

This won't be a popular suggestion, but have you considered a Multiplaz?  I've had one for about 2 years now.  It does both 120v and 240v.  Obviously, you get more power with 240v, but you can do 1/4" on 120v if things are prepared properly and your technique is good.  That would be borderline in my opinion and 240v will give you more amps to do it better, but it's doable on 120v with the Multiplaz.  And it is very portable.

It's got a lot of pluses, and a few minuses.  One of those being that the marketing material and photos of welds on their site are very very bad.  They are definitely not representative of what the machine is actually capable of.  They are down right scary, in fact.  But they seem to be doing enough business that they haven't seen the need to update their materials.

The machine is as good as the operator, like anything.  And because it's TIG-like, but not entirely the same, it is going to take practice no matter what someone's level of experience is.

Anyway, I would recommend at least considering it:

http://multiplaz.com/

If you want more details or photos of my welds, I would be happy to send those to you privately.

It's not going to be for everyone, and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it fills a niche.

3 hours ago, MsChrissi said:

MsChrissi,

One of my good friends is a surgeon and builds Vans airplanes in his basement (on his 3rd).  He tig welds all his frames and built his own rotating jig in his "spare time".  Oh, BTW he flies an Extra 300 in aerobatic competitions for relaxation.  He definitely has a deft touch with the tig welder.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glenn;

Let me cut to the chase...120 volt mig units quit working as a welder a 3/16" material thickness. I tried lap joints, open butts with beveled edges, fillets with a cheater bevel. All sorts of stuff. I could stack some filler metal in the joint on anything 1/4" or over, but there was no penetration and it looked like seagull poop from 1000 ft.

Get a bigger mig or, horror of horrors, go back to a plain jane stick machine. Still 220 machine, but it's simple, cheap, and with a nice little Lincoln or Miller 180 all you need is the adapter mentioned above and you're golden for under $400 bucks, new price. Bought mine used for $200.

Paul & Paula

Toy Draggin

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

220v units though will not work at any rv parks unless I unhook my Teton. All stick units under 2k is 220v. That is why I went with mig. Most I will use it for is building my frame for the mini split and mounted boxes on my HDT. This way in my limited spare time I can do this. Also little jobs, maybe winch mount, etc. Solid wire with gas looks good, Flux core looks crappy. If I'm not content with looks with flux core, I have a grinder. Enough paint and crappy welds look good. lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes Glenn,

You know what makes a good welder,              a grinder

I have the opposite problem, an XMT 450 with .035 wire the smallest I use.    All sheet metal is tig here

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If a welder says he never uses a grinder,,he is no welder. Everyone gets tungsten in weld. Grind it and it's gone. Weld over it and bad x-ray. Feather tacks with grinder, smooth tie in. I could go on.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

24 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

If a welder says he never uses a grinder,,he is no welder. Everyone gets tungsten in weld. Grind it and it's gone. Weld over it and bad x-ray. Feather tacks with grinder, smooth tie in. I could go on.

Maybe not.... I worked for a small shop part time for awhile..... he welded..... I was grinder.....and sandblaster.....and painter.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I carry a Cambell Hausfield 30-85 120v wire welder and it does OK. It is a cheaper $100 unit and I have replaced the plastic feed roller once due to cracks, (Lincoln uses a metal feed roller system). I have repaired frame cracks on my swivel trailer and they have held up good. I use it for many small jobs while full timing and consider it a great tool to have. I have never had a issue at any parks, but usually can set up and get done in 15 minutes before anyone even knows what happened with most small jobs. Two years ago while camp hosting in CA, the state park lacked funds for a push lawn mower. I was able to repair 2 old mowers by welding the wheels back on and we got another year's mowing out of them. Last week in Patagonia Nature Conservancy, I welded some re-bar to fence post for birds to land on near the bird feeding station. It's fun to putz around with a welder. I have found it's better to plug the welder into the camp ground 120V power pedestal vs a camper outlet or long ext cord. The full amp gets better welds.

Greg

I have a Lincoln 180. I can run it off my generator but it's not happy. No problem at an rv park with 50 amp power. I made an adapter cord I use for the generator and park power. I was at Conroe Thousand Trails and they came over and inquired as to what I was doing. I ask if they had a problem with me welding. They said they didn't know, I said I can quit right now if you want me too. They said no, they would inform me if it wasn't permitted. They never came back. I was also using park power to run the welder. They didn't know what to do.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 1 month later...

Know this older post but I hadn't gave update. Sorry about that. The Hobart MVP is a sweet little machine. It welds 1/4" easily on 110v. Actually penetrates over halfway thru 1/4. Leave gap and full pen. I'm a professional welder and am satisfied with it. 

I have used my Lincoln 180 at several rv parks. I had one where the rangers stopped by as inquired about my welding. I told them if I wasn't suppose to do it I would stop. They said they didn't know and would have to check. Never returned. I always use my pedestal, not an adjacent one. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Give this Eastwood unit a glance. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html They have a reputation of good quality and design.  Wire weld is one of the few legal ways to do structural work on a vehicle.  This unit will do 1/4" in one pass, just have to deal with the need for gas but you do get good (and pretty) welds.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

On 3/12/2017 at 10:47 AM, MsChrissi said:

We switched from a Lincoln square wave 185 TIG unit (transformer) to a Miller Dynasty 210 (inverter) and it was a significant upgrade in quality, usability, capability, ease of use.

There are no starting issues with the Miller TIG, in fact it is easier than the larger Lincoln transformer unit.

We also use a Miller MIG which is a very capable machine. The Dynasty units are 110/220V, we only use the 220v. But at 110 they are quite portable.

2nd that ......I use the Dynasty for some TIG but mostly outside work. There is no wire that works as well as 6011 stick on a windy day welding rusty steel.    

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Just for some thinking about a mig welder retrofit

Now you may need to stick weld something because of the rust/ condition of material.

I have taken the hot wire of the Hobart 110 volt mig welder and attached another welding leed to it. It does work with small rods matching your amperage.

But it will test your patience . I have also used that method to weld with not so good results. But then used the mig setup to weld over and it did a fair job.

But like was said before nothing like amps.

Safe travels,. Vern

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Just for some thinking about a mig welder retrofit

Now you may need to stick weld something because of the rust/ condition of material.

I have taken the hot wire of the Hobart 110 volt mig welder and attached another welding leed to it. It does work with small rods matching your amperage.

But it will test your patience . I have also used that method to weld with not so good results. But then used the mig setup to weld over and it did a fair job.

But like was said before nothing like amps.

Safe travels,. Vern

So true, nothing like amps. The young inexperienced welders at work scared of amps. They just can't understand me running 250+ amps tigging. And they call me to bail them out. 

Archived