Looking for Boondocking spots?

homelesshartshorns

We are headed out the end of the month form El Paso up the west side of NM and CO to the north west corner of UT. I am hoping someone might email me with some exact GPS quadrants for spots along my route. homelesshartshorns@gmail.com

If anyone is interested in such spots on the Texas Coast I have some to offer!

PS: Im looking for spots I can get a large motor home in and out of.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

• 1 month later...

I can't help you specifically for that area but when we boondocked in WY I referenced info provided to me by the BLM.  I imagine that same kind of info is available for your route.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to two BLM offices and found neither to be very helpful. Maybe because the maps they sale have colored splotches on them, and I am color blind. Or that the map is not pointing to spots, as in x marks the spots. And going up to gates that are closed and going in! In Missouri you get shot doing such things. I guess because it is so hard to actually find the spots is why fellow campers are so secretive about ones they do find. As for myself I have a map on my web site that shows some of the beaches and free spots we have been too over the last few years. And if anyone has questions about any spots we been too, all they have to do is write with questions. I am an open book.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I second the idea of looking at the Day's End listings.  It's a nominal $15 per year to download the listings and receive updates throughout the year, and if you make a certain number of reports during the year, the next year is free...and make enough reports, you can get a lifetime subscription.

The thing I really like is the map where you can enter a starting and ending point and the map will calculate the route and show all the listings along the way.  While all the listings don't have GPS coordinates, many of them do and more are added as time goes on.

They're in the middle of a migration to a new hosting service this weekend, so may be unavailable at times, but check back:   www.daysenddirectory.com

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 4/21/2017 at 6:14 AM, homelesshartshorns said:

And going up to gates that are closed and going in! In Missouri you get shot doing such things.

If that gate is on BLM land it's okay to go in.  Just be sure to close the gate afterward.  And be sure that you're on BLM land or public lands.  The same goes for other public lands.  Arizona Trust Lands require a permit, but going through a gate is quite okay.  Always close the gate after passing through.

Here's a pretty good reference site: https://www.campendium.com/free-camping

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 4 months later...

SW New Mexico and SE Arizona have a lot of BLM land where you can really get away from folks. We spent 10 days with a couple (since separated) north of Lordsburg about 3 miles from Gila River box. In 10 days we saw the rancher (Taylor grazing rights) twice. He waved. That was it for passersby. We drove in first in their Toad to make sure that the road was passable and that we could turn around. A smaller RV could have easily gone the other 3 miles and had a beauitul overlook of the Gila River. We did several hikes to and along the river and saw a pack of about 6 Coatamundis.

There are a lot of great sites in mountains near Silver City, NM. Again, drive in with Tow or Toad to make sure that you can get in, and get out.

Reed and Elaine 

• 3 months later...

Here's a map I created using publicly available layers to show federal and state land management across the U.S.:

http://arcg.is/10XquO

You can zoom in to minute levels, and if you turn off the street map layer you'll see that the base layer is actually a topographic map (although the colored areas that show land management -- particularly BLM -- are easier to see over the street map layer.

I'm also a fan of Campendium.com over Freecampsites.net -- more useful info and reviews from where I'm sitting.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

Archived