Guns

SWharton

3 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

Better yet take the things completely apart and mail one piece at a time and mix up the pieces

That does not work for the guns' frame.  Even in pieces, the FRAME (piece with the serial number) is STILL considered a firearm by the ATF and would require FFL involvement on the receiving end.

Now I am out of this discussion since the question has been correctly answered a few times.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, remoandiris said:

That does not work for the guns' frame.  Even in pieces, the FRAME (piece with the serial number) is STILL considered a firearm by the ATF and would require FFL involvement on the receiving end.

Now I am out of this discussion since the question has been correctly answered a few times.

Actually I said that as a joke ;)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

20 hours ago, Yarome said:

I should probably toss out the usual disclaimer to basically "go check for yourself" (the responsibility is yours).. but I'll go out on a limb. :lol:

NOPE! Assuming you're using an ounce of sense.. which I know you to have... (like not detouring through states with border checks or the great nation of California.. ahem) it would fall under Federal firearms transportation laws. No fuss no muss.

What states have border checks. We have crossed most all of them. California and I think Az have agriculture  checks but we have never had to stop in the RV. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We are currently in AZ and have passed through no state check stations of any kind.. In a couple of weeks we will move into CA and I'll let you know if we have any border checks there, but two years ago when we traveled the same road (I-10) the AG check station was closed. In all of the many years that we have been traveling through those AG check stations not one time have we ever been asked about possessing anything other than citrus, fruits, and vegetables.  

I'd be very interested to hear any personal stories (not the I heard about kind) of someone who was checked for guns as they entered into any state's port of entry. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk we have been through the 'boarder' check stations a number of times. As foreigners we always have some concerns. Most times we just wave our passports at them and they wave us on with a smile. Once we had oranges confiscated. (The good natured officer thanks us for his lunch!!). A couple of times we have been asked about guns etc. But the only time we have ever been searched was trying to cross Hoover dam in 2010. The officers are trained to spot suspicious behaviour. Act normal you are ok. (Maybe some folks better not act normal. :huh: )

regards

I have been across the border into Canada many, many times (used to make my living crossing in a big truck) and the gun question is a normal standard question. There would be no reason for SWarton to cross any international border and the states do not have check points EXCEPT for agricultural reasons. They don't ask about weaponry.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

8 hours ago, bruce t said:

Kirk we have been through the 'boarder' check stations a number of times. As foreigners we always have some concerns. Most times we just wave our passports at them and they wave us on with a smile. Once we had oranges confiscated.....................................  A couple of times we have been asked about guns etc. But the only time we have ever been searched was trying to cross Hoover dam in 2010. 

As has been mentioned in several posts, those stations were by the state agriculture departments and only concerned about bringing in crop related pests. I find it very difficult to believe that one of the agriculture inspectors ever asked about guns. I'd also suspect that your Hoover Dam experience was after 9/11 as that was when concern for such facilities became common. 

7 hours ago, bruce t said:

Remember if you get too close to the Mexican boarder you will come across many boarder control check points.

That would be the Border Patrol and they aren't asking about guns either, only about illegal immigrants. Now that one might be something you should worry about! :P

Kirk we have been stopped at the check point just west of El Paso a number of times. And we have been asked about guns and 'other' illegal items. Drugs. They do ask. Or at least they have asked us. They have also check passport details. Maybe it just us aliens!

Question - Who is responsible for looking for drugs coming north? Law enforcement, boarder patrol, dept of ag? Just asking as it could well be a grey area.

regards

Bruce, if you didn't look so suspicious, you probably would not get stopped so often! They call that profiling you know. :ph34r:

Looking for drugs could be done by just about any law enforcement agency but not the AG(agriculture department), although with marijuana now legal in a few state they may start worrying about diseases and insects that damage that crop too/ Drug interdiction is done mostly by border patrol in the immediate area of an international border, but that agency is only rarely seen in the interior. Over water it is mostly done by the Coast Guard. Once away from the ports of entry it is more commonly the city or county police(sheriff) and sometimes the state police agencies. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tax, & Firearms officers are sometimes involved as can the US Marshal service. 

Kirk, Border Patrol can check for anything.  If the line is long, the questions might be short, but they can ask and they can search.  We watched a dog work the car in front of us a little over a year ago.  Dog alerted - in fact dog was thrilled to smell something besides diesel.  Went around the car twice, dog alerted both times (really happy to get the praise) and they pulled the car out of the line and had the driver out and were searching.    Not to mention the detectors that line the road as you pull in.    We've never been search by BP, but have been search by Calif. AG at Blythe - that was several years ago.  Now it is not unusual to pull through and be waved on as they are very under staff.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

He is a US citizen  going from VA to AZ not crossing ANY international border. There was no reason for that subject to be brought up or commented on. Why respond to a question that was not asked.

Many of us travel with firearms in our RV's or on our person . We have in over 30 years of Rv'ing never been asked if we had a firearm on board except when crossing the  Canada  or Mexico border.  We have been questioned at Border patrol checkpoints in AZ and New Mexica a couple of times but only asked for proof of citizenship  where we were going and how long we intended to stay. They asked if anyone was traveling in the RV and a simple no was OK. We have been singled out for Safety checks usually at rest areas in several States over the years but never a mention of Firearms.

Just know the law and they are not difficult to look up.  Example we are touring the New England States this summer and we note from Handgunlaws.us  that Ohio  our CC State  does not have reciprocity with MA,CT,RI,NJ,MD,DC so since we are never really sure were we may travel or stay besides the N.E States we will clear our Truck, RV, ourselves of any and all firearms or signs of firearms such as ammo, holsters, etc. Not a difficult task.

When we travel through Illinois  also no reciprocity we secure all firearms in the RV unloaded and do not stop in the State except for fuel if needed.

What I would do in his case and we have done it when giving our personal firearms to FAMILY  is to write a "bill of sale" or" Document of transfer"  with type of firearm and S/N as  record keeping and documentation of ownership. The amount of sale can be 1.00.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Kirk, Border Patrol can check for anything.  If the line is long, the questions might be short, but they can ask and they can search.  We watched a dog work the car in front of us a little over a year ago.  Dog alerted - in fact dog was thrilled to smell something besides diesel.  Went around the car twice, dog alerted both times (really happy to get the praise) and they pulled the car out of the line and had the driver out and were searching.    Not to mention the detectors that line the road as you pull in.    We've never been search by BP, but have been search by Calif. AG at Blythe - that was several years ago.  Now it is not unusual to pull through and be waved on as they are very under staff.

That is absolutely true but the same can be said for pretty much any law enforcement agency, federal, state, county, or city. But there is a major difference between what can be and what typically is done.  At the border crossings they pretty much watch for anything illegal but even then put emphasis on specific things. We too have watched them work their dogs and once we were crossing into the US at Bisbee and even had one of the dog handlers come over and talk with us and tell us a lot about what they were doing as the trucks came through the station. It was quite interesting as they were using 3 different dogs and the one he was handling was specifically trained to locate human cargo. 

Those scanners that you find further in along the highways have long fascinated me and they don't share a lot of information about them. That may be a good thing for security reasons but my tech background still makes me curious. 

3 hours ago, richfaa said:

When we travel through Illinois  also no reciprocity we secure all firearms in the RV unloaded and do not stop in the State except for fuel if needed.

I don't know if you have researched Ill Annoy a lot but since they passed their new concealed carry law, you are allowed to carry on your person INSIDE your vehicle while transiting the state. Like you, I don't stop there, just pass thru.

As far as the other state's you mentioned, I prefer to stay in free states where I am welcome without having my papers checked by a Komrade. Nothing there that I can't see somewhere else.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

27 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I don't know if you have researched Ill Annoy a lot but since they passed their new concealed carry law, you are allowed to carry on your person INSIDE your vehicle while transiting the state. Like you, I don't stop there, just pass thru.

As far as the other state's you mentioned, I prefer to stay in free states where I am welcome without having my papers checked by a Komrade. Nothing there that I can't see somewhere else.

We still treat Ill as a non  reciprocal  State for us. All USA States are free states and we  have never had "papers checked" when traveling  interstate. We Go were we choose to  go and make every attempt to obey the Laws of the State  we are in. Thank you for the information

On March 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Devilishjim said:

Better yet take the things completely apart and mail one piece at a time and mix up the pieces

..... Isn't that how Johnny Cash got his Cadillac?

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

On 3/15/2017 at 10:17 AM, freestoneangler said:

Keep the guns (disassembled if possible) and ammo separate.  Agree with the last couple of responders... sometimes, some subjects are just left alone.

Unloaded and disassembled guns might as well be left at home or thrown in a trash can since they are totally useless. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We are on the road with the guns in bubble wrap under the bed. I stopped by the police station to drop off the ammo, about 2 shoe boxes, they checked for hand grenades(i guess I can't turn in hand grenades) to took my ammo away and unloaded our bikes which we were donating to their Christmas drive. Easy. Asked about the bubble wrap and they said that would do.

Archived