780 Fridge Removal

dan412

Apparently has a slide/bracket at the bottom that gums up and makes it difficult.  There are some discussions on the forum about this somewhere if you use the search function.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

9 minutes ago, dan412 said:

I need to get my 780 fridge out is there anything that you have to take off to get it out. I'm thinking maybe a slide hammer would work.

Hi Dan,

This is just an idea for you. It might help to remove the driver's seat to give you more room to work with. If you do remove the seat be very careful because of the weight of the seat. Don't ask me how I know this. The seat can be taken apart. You can removed the seat from the seat base. This helps a lot.

Good luck,  Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Isn't there a post in the resource guide about this? I'm on my phone and not my computer but I thought there was. But I do know that the seat does not need to come out. The refrigerator is in the cabinet. All removing the seat will get you is access to the side of the cabinet. Taking the drawers out will get you more access to the refrigerator.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Got it out took the drawer out above it remove the screw at the top two screws at the bottom used my small snap-on slide hammer came right out.

Thanks for all the help 

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Do I try to get my fridge fixed or buy a new one.  looks like it has been fixed before and new ones are not cheep. I want to stay with the original if I buy a new one because it looks better.   

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

4 hours ago, dan412 said:

Do I try to get my fridge fixed or buy a new one.  looks like it has been fixed before and new ones are not cheep. I want to stay with the original if I buy a new one because it looks better.   

Dan, 

Depends on your use and what you want.  The Volvo replacement would probably be $700-800 or more.  Lost the link but JeffB had an aftermarket 12 volt that looked good and was rugged.  It was around $600.  Google 12volt semi frigs and I'll bet you can find it.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I think truckfridge.com may have a direct replacement.

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks that's the site.  I'll bookmark it.  BTW you gonna be able to make the ECR?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

That's the plan. But that was the plan for the last two years as well.  Kim has a deposit and I'll fill out your registration in a few days.

Nigel

No worries.  Just saw you on her list and was hoping it would be possible.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 2 weeks later...

The smaller 120 volt dorm refrigerators will generally fit the opening if you are looking for a low-priced refrigerator replacement. You have to use an inverter with it. And it will not look "built in" in the same way the Volvo fridge does.    Truckfridge is the place to go for aftermarket alternatives that are 12-volt. They have good stuff at pretty good prices.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 hours ago, NTPA Announcer said:

I bought it at Walmart. Just compared the dimensions and got as close as we could. It works well and in fact its running off the inverter overnight to see just how much juice it pulls from the batteries .

Denver,

We had done the same with a Whirlpool dorm size from Lowes.  According to RandyA (who everybody knows can be trusted for electrical stuff) they are very sensitive to heat.  Ours lasted a little over three years then pooped out.  Since we use ours only occasionally, I'm going to buy the same one from a local warehouse who has them on sale for $99.  I also have two 12 volt fans from a Xantrex inverter that I'm going to wire up in the compartment where the fridge is located to increase circulation.  I figure if I get another three years it will be only $33/year, worth it in my opinion.  BTW going to have the fans on a dash switch so I can turn off when not in use.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 3/25/2017 at 5:00 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Denver,

We had done the same with a Whirlpool dorm size from Lowes.  According to RandyA (who everybody knows can be trusted for electrical stuff) they are very sensitive to heat.  Ours lasted a little over three years then pooped out.  Since we use ours only occasionally, I'm going to buy the same one from a local warehouse who has them on sale for $99.  I also have two 12 volt fans from a Xantrex inverter that I'm going to wire up in the compartment where the fridge is located to increase circulation.  I figure if I get another three years it will be only $33/year, worth it in my opinion.  BTW going to have the fans on a dash switch so I can turn off when not in use.

What about using a 12V programmable timer like this:http://www.ebay.com/bhp/programmable-timer-12v, to cycle it when in use and the timer could be wired to that dash switch..  If the fridge isnt being opened, then cycling it every few hours should keep thing cold and not drain the batteries to nothing.  Also, a 100W solar panel would offset that too.   

Marcel

50 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

What about using a 12V programmable timer like this:http://www.ebay.com/bhp/programmable-timer-12v, to cycle it when in use and the timer could be wired to that dash switch..  If the fridge isnt being opened, then cycling it every few hours should keep thing cold and not drain the batteries to nothing.  Also, a 100W solar panel would offset that too.   

Good thought, thanks. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 3/25/2017 at 6:00 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Denver,

Use 120v fans, fed from the inverter output. Use thermostats like this to control the the fans. The first time you forget to turn off the dash switch, you'll thank me.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Use 120v fans, fed from the inverter output. Use thermostats like this to control the the fans. The first time you forget to turn off the dash switch, you'll thank me.

6 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Or wire the fans on an ignition hot circuit, then you don't need a switch.

Thanks for the options.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived