Great pumpkin travels west!!!

Vegas Teacher

Hello all this is the made no voyage of Vegas teacher and vegas flyer as we travel west in the orange volvo 780.  We flew out from vegas on a red eye last night and and arrived in Tampa at 4:41 a.m. this morning. I took my first uber cab this morning. We killed three hours at a Dennys I got hopped up  on coffee and ca fine.  So the seller comes to pick us up. We go to his bank I write him a personal check for the truck and it has to go through the approval process. Next we go to get the moving permit. It was supposed to be done not!!!!! We had to drive 40 miles one direction to get it done. Then we finally get in the truck and we are on our way. I had to check in with my wife Mrs. Vegas teacher and she was talking to my administrator so they gave me a ration of @#$%  we are boondocking at a loves 20 miles south east of Tallahassee. I took my first shower at a truck stop tonight. I got my first tank of gas today and I am learning good etiquette toward all truckers.

Will keep you posted

Later

Vegas teacher

Ain't that the way it always goes?? Glad y'all are on the road at least. Where's your next stop? 

And you may run into rain in Louisiana and around here tomorrow. Sunday looks good after you pass me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Pictures!

Have a safe and wonderful trip, the view from high up in the HDT is great.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Vegas,

Big5er mentioned the rain for a reason.  Bobtailing in these beasts can get interesting in adverse weather if you haven't done it a lot.  Most people will not use their "jake" brakes when bobtailing in the rain (some experienced drivers do).  Just slow down and smile as you get the feel and be safe.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

91DGgivl.jpgThis photo was taken after he got to make two laps around the parking lot to try the gas pedal and brakes, followed by a quick trip down the onramp and accelerating up to highway speed.

Cory first time at driving a truck!!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Why's he not smiling?  He should be smiling!:D  Congrats.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On March 11, 2017 at 3:00 PM, VegasFlyer said:

91DGgivl.jpgThis photo was taken after he got to make two laps around the parking lot to try the gas pedal and brakes, followed by a quick trip down the onramp and accelerating up to highway speed.

Cory first time at driving a truck!!

A big rig doesn't have a "gas pedal" or "brakes".  It has a "throttle" or "foot feed" and "service brakes". LOL

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

15 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

A big rig doesn't have a "gas pedal" or "brakes".  It has a "throttle" or "foot feed" and "service brakes". LOL

WeBe,

While technically your statement is correct, when you teach someone who hasn't driven anything bigger than a Toyota Tacoma, the Volvo gets a "Gas Pedal" and a "Brake" ;-)

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On March 11, 2017 at 0:35 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Why's he not smiling?  He should be smiling!:D  Congrats.

Carl,

He couldn't smile, he was too busy cracking walnut shells with his butt cheeks.....lol

He got much more relaxed and smiled later on.....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

WeBe,

While technically your statement is correct, when you teach someone who hasn't driven anything bigger than a Toyota Tacoma, the Volvo gets a "Gas Pedal" and a "Brake" ;-)

Vegas,

Many moons ago we were visiting friends in Olympia and a friend from Friday Harbor called and invited Dollymomma and her stable boy to come to Friday Harbor for lunch on their new yacht.........I said no problem I'll just rent a plane at Oly and we will fly over.........oh ya.......

So I wonder over to the airport and ask if they had a airplane that might make the round trip to Friday Harbor......the instructor said being a bribe sunny day all planes were rented except for the 1947 Champ......I said great I'll rent the Champ.......the instructors mouth fell open and said we'll hold on a minute I would need to see a lot of Taildragger time and some Champ time in a log book AND then we would need a long checkout ride as well.......gulp

i said well my log books are in Mexico at the moment but I do have a pilots lic and med cert and a couple of Gvt issue pilot certain cards current..........His mouth fell open and he said " you gotta be kidding me, you expect me to rent the Champ without looking at your log book?"  I responded "shucks my logbooks are almost unreadable with my hen scratching and won't tell you if I can fly the Champ like a check ride will". So he ask "how could you convince me that you can handle the Champ in one check ride?"  I responded "well let's make the checkout fun....EVERYTIME the Champ has a wheel on the runway that tire MUST be on the center stripe of runway during takeoff or landing........IF......the tire EVER departs the center stripe ......I will fail the checkout AND I will pay DOUBLE rate for the Champ AND your time"..........He smiled and said "you gotta be kidding me, right?" I reached in my wallet and slid my credit card across the counter and said "here run the card and charge double and then when I get lucky you can apply the extra half you will owe ma against the Champ rental for the rest of today......you can't lose....".

so we had a fun checkout but it took me a while to teach the instructor how to keep the tire on the center stripe but I didn't charge him for my time.

So I drive back to pickup the Dollymomma and I tell her I have rented a airplane and she ask what is it?  I said "well, it's a 1947 Champ"..........she gets a odd look and then ask.........."well, does it have a....roof".......I smile and said "shucks not only does it have a roof but it has a door but only one wing".

We had a very nice lunch cruise out of Friday Harbor and..........I managed to keep the Champ on the runway at every airport that day.......

After that day......when ever I bought a airplane I would say, "well momma, indeed the one has a .....ROOF".......

Drive on.........(name can be .......odd)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ok I made it home safely and got the truck parked at my father in laws house - yep lucky him! Vegas Flyer went out of his way to teach me the correct way to drive a big rig and I put in about 500 miles on one stent from San Antonio to El Paso alone. Yesterday I took my wife for a ride in our new toy. I have to thank Vegas Flyer for the great lessons because when I got behind the wheel without his help to fall back on I knew what to do and how to handle the truck.

I will post pictures. I am sorry I have been lazy at it.

We also met up with Big 5er' in Houston and had a great talk with him. 5er' was a really good guy.

7 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

We also met up with Big 5er' in Houston and had a great talk with him. 5er' was a really good guy.

OMG!  You just ruined his reputation.:P

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

OMG!  You just ruined his reputation.:P

And at breakfast, 5er ordered a Doctor Pepper and said it wasn't sweet enough, so he poured in, what he said was "liquid sugar", from a flask in his boot.... ?

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived