Registering in Tennessee

Terry N

I'm sure this may have been beat to death but I'm new here so be kind. I have called every department in Nashville and no one can answer my question. I am want to buy a class 8 truck, replace the 5th wheel with a goose neck ball, remove the airlines to the trailer and register it as a RV or private truck. It will cross state lines and be less than 40,000 lbs with the trailer. Can anybody help me with what I need to do or who I need to contact.  

Welcome Terry

There is a sticky at the top of the HDT forum for the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide, in it you will find a lot of your questions answered.  Look under the HDT decision and then there is a list of HDTs by state or some thing like that.  There is a rally next month in Crossville Tennessee and at last count I heard there will be 50 plus trucks there.  The info is also in a sticky at the top of the HDT forum and all are welcome.  It would be a good chance to see some of the possibilities and get your questions answered even if you can only come for a day.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

5 hours ago, Terry N said:

I'm sure this may have been beat to death but I'm new here so be kind. I have called every department in Nashville and no one can answer my question. I am want to buy a class 8 truck, replace the 5th wheel with a goose neck ball, remove the airlines to the trailer and register it as a RV or private truck. It will cross state lines and be less than 40,000 lbs with the trailer. Can anybody help me with what I need to do or who I need to contact.  

Terry,

I live in East Tennessee and when I registered it turned out to be pretty easy.  More info would be helpful though.  What kind of trailer are you going to pull?  What kind of truck?  I will give you the steps I went through but they might be somewhat location specific.  I was the first in my county to do it and it took a lot of legwork.  Nashville really wasn't helpful so just act like you know what you are doing and you can usually get it done.  Step 1.  When you find the truck make sure you have at least four of the federal requirements for a Motorhome.  (I have them listed somewhere and will post if I find).  I added an inverter so I had 120 volt power and also wired in shore power so I could plug in to a pedestal to get 120 volt.  You need a separate sleeping area, so the condo sleepers fulfill that requirement.  I added a small microwave from Walmart that satisfies the cooking reg.  The sleeper has separate air conditioning and heating already there so that fulfilled a reg.  A small dorm frig fulfills a reg and a porta-potti suffices for bathroom facilities.  Step 2.  Go to your County Clerk and tell them you want to register the truck as a Motorhome not a private truck.  Tell them you have done the above requirements and it will not be used in any commercial ventures.  Now some clerks are going to say it can't be done, but tell them it has been done in Tennessee multiple times and might even have them call the County Clerk in Blount County TN where I registered mine 7 years ago.  They should remember the steps because I bugged them to death.  Step 3.  Get your tags, pay the taxes, and smile.  Step 4.  When you get your new title be sure under type of vehicle it says MH or RV.  You are not required to have a CDL in TN or a non-commercial CDL.  You do not have to be singled in the rear and you do not have to remove the airlines unless you choose.  BTW a day cab without a sleeper cannot be a MH unless a living space is built onto the truck.  Now if you are going to be pulling a gooseneck loaded with race cars to race for money, don't bother trying to register as a MH.  If you get stopped you are commercial and the MH registration is of no help.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thank you. That's the information I was looking for and unfortunately it will be used to pulled a race car trailer. What's the difference in this type of conversion and a toterhome that is built to pull racecar trailers and run with RV tags. 

20 minutes ago, Terry N said:

We race sprint cars and prize money is involved but at years end no money is made. 

18 minutes ago, Terry N said:

It could easily be a hobby. We have no sponsors and all exspences come out of our pockets

LMAO   I'm staying out of this...maybe one of the experts here will chime in.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Not an expert but we can relate and provide what we know:

If you win prize money, trophies, ribbons, etc.. you could be considered commercial and as such once you are over 26000# gross vehicle weight you would be required to have a CDL and should be registering your truck and trailer as commercial. Now that doesn't mean that all areas enforce it or why a large number of people do what you want to do and register it as an RV, it just mean they haven't gotten caught yet. We do suggest if that is the route you are talking about that you avoid the state of Texas! We would hate to see pictures posted by Big5er of your truck and trailer after you were pulled over by a certain LEO that runs it that area. If your award is posted on the internet, they (LEO's) can find out about it too.

We no longer accept any prize money or awards when we are using our truck and trailer to pull our show vehicle to car shows, we do it for bragging rights only. Now if I drive it there on its own, then I have no issue with accepting them but the wife says no more trophies! When we go to the ECR rally we will have our regular car in it and the trailer is our home for the week.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

It is the intent of the vehicle use that will make you commercial.  Your racing and receiving compensation for your track efforts.  

According to the federal DOT guidelines, ALL class 8 trucks manufactured are commercial vehicles, UNLESS you prove otherwise.  Proving otherwise at the License plate office or when you get your title is easy.  Proving that you are not commercial on the side of the road with a car in a trailer with sponsor logo's or parts stickers on it- Jegs, STP, Accel, Billy Bob's Garage etc is hard to prove it's for fun only.

The other item that gives you away is the gooseneck ball.  Most LEO's know that when they see a Class 7 or 8 truck pulling a gooseneck trailer it is a commercial venture.  There are very few if any RV manufacturers that build with a goose neck hitch.  All the major brands build with a 5th wheel pin. 

Most RV'ers that pull with the HDT trucks move along at a leisurely pace.

Now working all day and driving 2-300 miles on Thursday/Friday night to race and work all weekend on your car, only to jump back into the truck on Sunday and haul butt home is bad juju.... you are tired, possibly beat up from a wreck, and just need to get home.  The liability of driving the class 8 truck is huge if you are involved in a wreck and you are the instigator of the wreck.

I raced and worked as a pit crew on off-shore race boats..... the long nose huge Vee-bottoms and huge Cats.  For the most part, we hauled with 4500's and Kodiaks but technically were just as commercial as the transport trucks.  We were out to win the trophy, cash prize, ribbon etc.  Offshore racing is a multi-million dollar a year venture with piddly winnings...$10,000 to win a race.... when fuel cost $2000, hotel, travel, 4-5 crew members, and ohh, you blew a motor in qualifying.... We never had a profit at the end of the season.... But we were commercial....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Terry,

Books have been written on this forum about commercial vs non-commercial uses.  You could still register as an RV but in Tennessee pulling a racing or heavy equipment trailer and accepting prize or other money is considered commercial.  That was straight from the head honcho of the Tennessee Highway Patrol in Nashville seven years ago.  He specifically asked what I was going to be pulling.  The RV or MH designation does not change what you are using the truck to do.  Also I met with the head honcho at the Drivers License office locally because the license requirements were somewhat confusing (won't detail).  He had just come back from a meeting discussing this and told me my Class D covered MH(RV) if used for pleasure only!  As Jim said, any other use required a CDL.  Now you are going to start receiving other opinions about your proposed use, but I'm just telling you what the people in power said in our state.  Call or visit both places but I bet the statutes haven't changed.  Sorry to be a downer and BTW welcome to the forum.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Terry,

Please don't think the previous posters are in any way picking on you. They are just trying to help you avoid a very unpleasant roadside chat with the man in blue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

37 minutes ago, Terry N said:

Thanks for all of your responses. You basically confirmed what I kind of already knew but was hoping for something different. I still don't see the difference in a toterhome and what I was wanting to do

There isn't a difference.  All those folks using a toter home to transport race cars are commercial as well.  When they get caught, they won't be happy.  Once in a while, the DOT sets up at a local circle track and gets the teams as they leave.  Most never realized that in the eyes of Johnny Law, they are indeed commercial.

It's not the vehicle itself, it's how it's used.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Most never realized that in the eyes of Johnny Law, they are indeed commercial.

Oh sure they do....They know, but they just choose to play dumb. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

At a local drag strip in Pa the state police usually set up at the turnpike entrance with scales and start weighing anything with race cars or trailers and have got a lot of overweight set ups, not sure if the check for commercial registration or not, to me just not worth the risk.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Not saying one way or the other on this but was just at several Drag races this winter in FL and lots of races if all types over the years. I take notice on all the rigs I see from Regular Class A rigs to full in Class 8 trucks and everything inbetween. All hauling race trailers done plain white some all stickered up. 

90% have no DOT numbers. 

The full on pros typically do though  

Yes they know but run till then get caught and then run some more  

I wonder if the warnings or actual fines are just acceptable compared to going commercial route   

Sort of a gamble and hedging their bets  

No aurguments here just what I see  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Archived