Horrible, just horrible forum change

rbertalotto

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

43 minutes ago, SIBERNUT said:

. . . At least bring back "New since last visit"

That is an important feature and should include the time element: "since last visit"  -  "last two weeks" - "last month" - etc.

Imagine not visiting the forum for a month or two. 

Hopefully, the admin will sort out all the forum options and get it right.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Those of us who were here when the just past format was adopted, probably remember all of the negative comments that it brought at first also. I suspect that much of this is the result of the age group that the majority of us are. In another thread, someone pointed out that older folks just don't like change and I must agree with his comment. As I'm significantly older than the person who made that post, I fall into that same group and my initial reaction was much like most posted, but past experience made me hesitate to comment too quickly. Jim Hendrix's post to explain things should help most of our bruised feelings and things have already begun to improve as admin has an opportunity to make the adjustments that they control. 

In some ways I have an advantage as we are traveling at this time so I didn't have the opportunity to get too excited in a post when the change was first discovered and so I had some time to think about things first. :P So far I think that there are some things that seem to be an improvement, and some that seem to be missing that I liked, but that too may change as the admin are given the time to respond.It is probably a good thing to offer comments on what is liked and what isn't liked so that the IT guys can know where priorities should be, but we also need to give them at least a little bit of time to act. 

I have not found any signature area either so please do post it should you figure it out. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with previous comments on this "so called change" being less than acceptable.  That and our previous visit to the Livingston cg yr before last and the "unfriendly" response from others at our first time rally in Burlington, Vt last year.   This will probably result us going our separate way and cancelling the balance of our subscription.  Ms Kay(#1) and the lady that checked us in were the only folks that welcomed us as first timers.  Others that we came in contact with had their nose so high in the air, I'm surprised they didn't fall backwards.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

If people go to the About the Discussion Forums forum, there are several threads the provide initial examples of using the new version.

So far there have been discussions about Display Names, Notification settings, Activity Streams (method to see what is new since last visit), following Forums / Discussion threads  and more.

Note to the administrators:  The Announcements section should have just one entry about the forum software change with a reference to the About Discussion Forums forum that contained a thread describing the changes in detail.  Or better yet, a general thread and then a thread about each item, such as listed above.  That way people can pick the thread the covers their concern.

As it is right now, there are multiple threads spread across many unrelated forums.  There needs to be a central place for discussions about the change.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

11 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

What a mess! Who thought this was a good idea? Sometimes change is simply bad!

I agree, the NEW SINCE LAST VISIT was a must for me. How am I to know what is new, and what I want to get engaged with.  If I post an item which I need some feedback on, how would relevant parties who could help me find my request for help?

I can't go to every topic list and search each one to find out what is new and then respond to it.  For me, dropping the NEW SINCE LAST VISIT change has made the forum less user friendly.

I just realized that what Kirk posted (about the signature space missing) was one of the items which made this forum personal. It allowed us to show our personality, and let others know who we are. Now the forum is like any other boring forum on the net.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

16 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

I agree, the NEW SINCE LAST VISIT was a must for me. <snip>

Select Activity >> Unread Content on the main menu.

If you want this to be your default activity, click on the checkmark next to Unread Content.  This will put Unread Content next to Mark site read on the top and bottom of each page.

See my Activity Stream Bookmarks post in About the Discussion Forums for an additional trick.

So how you can come in, select Unread Content, select Mark site read when done and leave.  You now have automatic New Since Last Visit.

Line 3

Looks good to me  had no problems at all.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

In rethinking this thread, I can see why it makes sense to make these changes.

BUT, I get a ton of email, and having one more email sent is not something I want.  Most topics I'm not interested in.  Being able to look at the new topics posted On the NEW SINCE LAST VISIT PAGE made sense, for I could choose what to look at.  Now I'm forced to look at them all as they come into my email box. if I'm not interested in the thread I can now erase it, but if later I realized I needed to reread it I'm lost.  Where do I find it?  If I had a  NEW SINCE LAST VISIT page I could quickly find the thread. 

The problem for me is that sometimes I go days without looking at emails.  What was then sent to me by a user has been lost in the stack. And because it was lost the thread originator may have missed out on relevant info I could have offered.

SUGGESTION:  When future changes are to be made to the website, passing them through a revue process composed of selected users for feedback would eliminate threads such as this, and make for a more successful and acceptable transition.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

It turns out the announcement intrusion was my only real complaint since I never used the unread posts option. With that fixed I am back to my usual method of reading. Thanks admin for making me happy again.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

42 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

In rethinking this thread, I can see why it makes sense to make these changes.

BUT, I get a ton of email, and having one more email sent is not something I want.  Most topics I'm not interested in.  Being able to look at the new topics posted On the NEW SINCE LAST VISIT PAGE made sense, for I could choose what to look at.  Now I'm forced to look at them all as they come into my email box. if I'm not interested in the thread I can now erase it, but if later I realized I needed to reread it I'm lost.  Where do I find it?  If I had a  NEW SINCE LAST VISIT page I could quickly find the thread. 

The problem for me is that sometimes I go days without looking at emails.  What was then sent to me by a user has been lost in the stack. And because it was lost the thread originator may have missed out on relevant info I could have offered.

SUGGESTION:  When future changes are to be made to the website, passing them through a revue process composed of selected users for feedback would eliminate threads such as this, and make for a more successful and acceptable transition.

You can get away from those emails by going to the Browse tab, then click on each forum you want to follow.  When you click "follow" a popup will appear that will allow you to say you don't want an email sent to you.   You have to do that for each and every forum you want to follow.  The use the activity tab to go and set up a Stream specific to what you want.  At least that is how I ended up doing it.  Doesn't seem to be a way to do a global "do not want email notifications" that I have found but it is probably there somewhere.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I want New Since Last Visit back.  The new format stinks.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

I want New Since Last Visit back.  The new format stinks.

Ken

New Since Last Visit is the same as Read unread followed by Mark site read.

Line 3

My first post with the new format and I want to know how to stop from getting an email when something is posted on the forum. I DO NOT want any emails sent to me from this site. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

My first post with the new format and I want to know how to stop from getting an email when something is posted on the forum. I DO NOT want any emails sent to me from this site. 

See Barb's post from above.

17 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You can get away from those emails by going to the Browse tab, then click on each forum you want to follow.  When you click "follow" a popup will appear that will allow you to say you don't want an email sent to you.   You have to do that for each and every forum you want to follow.  The use the activity tab to go and set up a Stream specific to what you want.  At least that is how I ended up doing it.  Doesn't seem to be a way to do a global "do not want email notifications" that I have found but it is probably there somewhere.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived