Refrigerator and Leveling question

Rick&Phy83

I've read advice about keeping the refrigerator level but I don't understand why.  If we're parked in our driveway on a 5-7 degree slant overnight with the refrigerator running will that harm the refrigerator?  On another subject, we are looking at the Lynx leveling blocks for our Jayco Melbourne 29D class C motor home.  They come in a 10-pack.  How many packs are recommended to start out?

-Rick

Rick & Phy

Mount Joy, PA

2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D

2016 Jeep Wrangler Toad

Can't speak to the Lynx blocks,  never have used them.

An absorption refrigerator does not have to be exactly level to operate properly. Both Dometic and Norcold recommend these limits: within 3 degrees side-to-side, 6 degrees front-to-back - as looking at the frig doors, not the RV.  The rule of thumb is, if you are comfortable living and sleeping in the RV it is probably within those limits.

Three degrees = .06 inch per foot ; 6 degrees = 1.3 inches per foot.   http://www.lascolaser.com/magento/pdfs/Slope_Conversion_Tables.pdf

So, multiply the length of your RV X the above figures to determine how many inches of Lynx blocks to use under one end/side of the RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The reason that leveling is important in an RV refrigerator is that it has no compressor and it operates by thermodynamics, which means that hot fluids rise and as the condense and cool the will run back to the bottom by gravity. The cooling unit in them is designed to have all of the tubing so that it encourages this process and if the refrigerator is too far off level the process can stop and the resulting heat will do serious damage. Most manufacturers today will say that there refrigerator will operate safely as long as it is within 6° of level from front to back (side to side of the RV) and within 3° of level side to side (front to rear of the RV).  It is best to level the RV to the refrigerator but in general if your RV is level enough that you do not notice any off level feel when walking inside it is probably OK. What I did was to level our RV using a carpenter's level placed inside of the refrigerator both side to side and front to back as accurately as I could and then I installed a set of levels on the outside of our RV to use when leveling. 

I suggest that you watch this video on leveling problems from the ARP-RV website. I have their product installed on our refrigerator and Mark Nemeth uses it also and recommends it in his classes at "RV Boot Camp" classes.

On the Lynx levelers, I carry two of the 10 packs and usually one set is more than enough. I bought one set and was given another by a neighbor so carry two but seldom need that many. Of course, where you stay plays a major role in the issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Regarding the Lynx levelers:  Assuming your motorhome doesn't have automatic levelers, I'd start out with two packs of 10.

Let's say that you need to raise the entire back end by the height of two Lynx levelers.  It would take three Lynx for each tire (done in pyramid fashion), which would be a total of 12. 

If you needed to raise the back end three Lynx levelers high, you'd need six per tire or 24.  Given that situation, I think I'd look for a different site!  ;)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, Rick&Phy83 said:

I've read advice about keeping the refrigerator level but I don't understand why.  If we're parked in our driveway on a 5-7 degree slant overnight with the refrigerator running will that harm the refrigerator?  On another subject, we are looking at the Lynx leveling blocks for our Jayco Melbourne 29D class C motor home.  They come in a 10-pack.  How many packs are recommended to start out?

-Rick

Even level, a new product ( https://www.arprv.com/) will protect the refrigerator and give you some important info regarding its operation.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

3 hours ago, mscans said:

Even level, a new product ( https://www.arprv.com/) will protect the refrigerator and give you some important info regarding its operation.

Both Mark Nemeth and I are using one of the ARP products on our refrigerators. What it does is to remove power from the refrigerator's 12V-dc controls, shutting it off if the boiler temperature exceeds safe levels. Once the boiler is cooled back to normal, the refrigerator turns back on. In doing so it does protect your refrigerator from damage, but it doesn't remove the need for leveling since being unlevel is the most common cause of overheating. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think the level thing is a little to over blown. I had a Winnie back in the seventies and early 80's that was a mobile show room that I traveled N.D.S.D. NB. Iowa and Minn. put 196,000 miles on that MH and never stayed in a campground and never had a problem with the fridge and it never did it freeze up on me. went thru some propane but never had a problem. One night in Minot it was supposed to get to -40 with wind around 35 mph so I get a motel room. I get up in the morning and the snow was about 6 inches deep where it blew in under the door and the room was only 50 degrees. Took a shower and went to the MH and it was 70 inside. Talk about $45 down the drain. Don't even get me started on driving in snow in  those states.

Obviously you got lucky.  There is no question that "out of level" operation will damage the refrigerator.  Manufacturers, users and after market companies ALL are aware of the problem and take steps to prevent/reduce the damage.  Your story of traveling constantly may explain why you were "lucky" as constant motion does NOT require religious leveling.  The constant motion keeps the fluids moving and not stagnating causing the overheat situation.

Great hearing from you though.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived