Am I the only one who LIKES the new format???

Kinsa

Just talking to myself in this lonely room... room... room

My voice echoes in here, all by myself.  (LOL)

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't say I like it yet.  I am at least starting to figure out how to navigate it and get the information I want displayed.  This is all through trial and error so far.  It would be nice if the admins posted a detailed set of instructions somewhere to help that process along.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

So you can find out how to do everything you did before, you don't mind that the signature lines are gone, etc.?   
I liked NOT having to see new posts in areas that I don't follow (MDT/HDT/5thWheels/WorkCamping, etc)  I have tried everything I can think to limit it to those areas I want to follow and nothing works.  Plus no heads up, no link to a 'how-to', makes for a lot of unhappy people.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I said earlier that I was pretty much okay with the change (better now that announcements have been corralled.  

It's probably because of how I use the forum.  My bookmark takes me directly to new posts.  I have another bookmark that marks all read in one click.  All in all, my relationship to the forum is probably less intense than that of others so if they are unhappy they probably have good reason.

I am reminded of my experience as administrator of another, unrelated and smaller forum.  Years ago I tried to keep it up to date, applying updates as they became available.  People complained about every change so at one point I told the fellow who pays the bills that he could drop the annual licensing fees and we would freeze the forum right where it was.  It certainly made it easier on me and our users seem satisfied.  

Once in a while I get the urge to bring the software back up to date - it would be a light-year's leap after all this time.  Seeing the reactions to this update helps me get over it!

:)

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

So you can find out how to do everything you did before, you don't mind that the signature lines are gone, etc.?   
I liked NOT having to see new posts in areas that I don't follow (MDT/HDT/5thWheels/WorkCamping, etc)  I have tried everything I can think to limit it to those areas I want to follow and nothing works.  Plus no heads up, no link to a 'how-to', makes for a lot of unhappy people.

Are you still having problems getting Forum Following to work?

If possible, reply with an image of the Following section of your activity stream.

58c24e580acfd_ScreenShot2017-03-10at12_48_39AM.png.c9be12053720b4f625f2279d530a928e.png

And a snippet of the Manage Followed Content screen.

58c24e851c2aa_ScreenShot2017-03-10at12_49_09AM.png.a5eda1834125fa65833ea882163028c1.png

And make sure that your activity stream is the default activity stream.

58c24f921acca_ScreenShot2017-03-10at1_02_04AM.png.edf7aa6885d8ce2a3af92e855e4d8281.png

There must be some subtle difference between your setup and mine.

Edit:  My process:

1. Enter the site.
  2. The Browse >> Forums section is active.  All forums are visible.
  3. I click on Daily Check.  ( my custom activity stream)
  4. The unread posts for the followed forums are displayed.
  5. I go through the list.
  6. If I decide to read a post;
    1. I read all of the posts that have been added to the thread.
    2. I go to step 3 which refreshes the list which removes all of the posts relating to the thread that I just read.
  7. When I reach the end of the list, I click on Mark site read.  The marks as read all of the posts in all forums, whether or not they are followed.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

It is the same for another forum I visit so guess I was used to it from there, but I usually just view from unread content, works good for me that way

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Dave,

I can't get the changes to be saved for some reason.  Everytime I come back they all say "Everything".  Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but since there is no place that says the specific steps to set up a stream, my set up order was wrong. 

Edit:  Thanks to Dave Sands I found out you have to use the Browse tab, the click on each specific forum and when it comes up go click on FOLLOW on the top right side.  Once I did that, then my Activity Stream works!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Bring back the old format and New since last visit.

New topics stinks like a dead animal.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It's there, it just takes a lot of work (like yesterday and today) to figure out how to get it to work.  First, go to the Browse tab and the click on each forum that you want to follow.  When it opens up, on the upper right side click on Follow, and then click on 'no email' to make sure you don't end up with a filled mailbox. 

When you've identified all of the forums you want to follow, go to the Activity tab, and go to the My Activity Stream, click and scroll down to the create new stream.  Name it and go through each area and decide what you want - one of which will be posts since last visit, etc.   And hopefully I haven't forgotten a step and once you save you will be good to go.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

Not yet.  I do hate the stupid pop up that asks about tracking every time. Maybe as I relearn I will figure out a way to stop it even if I am using a computer at the library.

My browser is set to reject pop-ups, never see that one

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

It's there, it just takes a lot of work (like yesterday and today) to figure out how to get it to work.  First, go to the Browse tab and the click on each forum that you want to follow.  When it opens up, on the upper right side click on Follow, and then click on 'no email' to make sure you don't end up with a filled mailbox. 

When you've identified all of the forums you want to follow, go to the Activity tab, and go to the My Activity Stream, click and scroll down to the create new stream.  Name it and go through each area and decide what you want - one of which will be posts since last visit, etc.   And hopefully I haven't forgotten a step and once you save you will be good to go.

Barb

Sure sounds like a lot of work to fix something that was not broke to start with.:angry:

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

I am not having much trouble with this new software. I did have an issue with what is called 'Push Notifications' but I went into the command lines and fixed it. Far as "Fixing something not broke", there was a statement made that support for the old version of this software was not going to be supported by the developer soon.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I am in the same group that thinks, "If I do all this work and make all these changes, I can get it to be the same as it was before." Why do I have to work so hard to get back to something that works? There are lots of other RV forums out there that don't make it so difficult. Later...

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

13 hours ago, Mntom said:

I am not having much trouble with this new software. I did have an issue with what is called 'Push Notifications' but I went into the command lines and fixed it. Far as "Fixing something not broke", there was a statement made that support for the old version of this software was not going to be supported by the developer soon.

Fine.  But why roll out something WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS?  Does that make any sense?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

We are , for the most part , human beings . We are suppose to be among the most highly adaptive creatures . ;)

We have adapted into a very whiney culture.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I think that some of this comes from the age group that most of us fall into. I never fully understood why my kids' generation think that we seniors all try to live in the past until I began to see threads like this one. I must admit that when I first saw the changes, I too wondered what happened and why, but since reading the explanation by Jim Hendrix from IT, it now makes sense and as I learn the system I am starting to find some things that I really do believe are better than the old way. It is true that there are a few things that I've not yet figured out or that I miss, but as I read what Jim posted again, he did ask for a little bit of time for the IT crew to figure out what they can alter and what they can't. Patience doesn't seem to be very plentiful here lately. :)

I do notice though that the change has sure made some people get more active on the forums!  I wish I could go back to see if those who complained most when they went to the format we just left are perhaps some who are unhappy now?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

IIRC, when the last change was made, we were given a HEADS UP that it was going to occur.   Had someone been nice enough to say "We're doing an UpDate to Forum software next week and it will be different" and then given us a list of features and how to set them up it would have saved a lot of headaches.  In fact, there still has been 'how to setup', but rather a lot of people stumbling around and then the "a ha - that's the order to do it in" followed by posting and telling people, if you do x and z and then y it will work.  Still can't believe there is no way for signature lines in a forum software?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I have to ask and I am not trying to make anyone mad, but when you join a new forum do you get a tutorial on how to operate the software? Yes, a heads up would have been a good thing to do, but it's not the end of the free world as we know it. I am actually beginning to like this software the more I get to use it. Far as the sig lines, I bet there is a setting in the "back room" that all software has that can turn them back on.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

1 hour ago, Mntom said:

I have to ask and I am not trying to make anyone mad, but when you join a new forum do you get a tutorial on how to operate the software? Yes, a heads up would have been a good thing to do, but it's not the end of the free world as we know it. I am actually beginning to like this software the more I get to use it. Far as the sig lines, I bet there is a setting in the "back room" that all software has that can turn them back on.

Yes, a lot of them do have FAQs, etc., which explain the rules of the group, the steps to join, the "how to" add signature lines, upload pictures, etc. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived