CLUNKY NEW FORUM

This has to be the most clunky forum out there.  The screen is so busy with 'Announcements' and other clutter including various buttons and symbols. 

I always hesitated when referring new folks to the main Escapees website because things on it aren't in logical places. It's so difficult to find information. I felt I had to tell new folks to scour the site for hidden items.

I really don't know if I'll ever refer this forum to others. It's embarrassing.  There is no logic to it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I'll have to agree with 2gypsies. I was tremendously disappointed the first time I got on the forum after the changes. The Escapees forum and its members have been extremely helpful to us since we first started considering going full-time. It has remained one of the three main forums on which I participate - but I don't know that this will be the case going forward. PLEASE reconsider the redesign!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Suppose it is a work in progress:)! I've been trying to go back and post an update on a thread. First finding the forum heading is hard (For now, as I have not found the magic yet:)!), and then when I did fumble to it, when I tried to quote - nothing happened... 

Fingers crossed things get sorted out and tuned soon...

And sure it's normal to want to point out when things may not go perfectly... But let's all acknowledge the hard work, and great value the hosting of this forum has been for us all... 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I get a headache just thinking about trying to navigate around the forum. I don't want to dedicate as much time to it as it would require. I hope they go back to the old one.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

3 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

And sure it's normal to want to point out when things may not go perfectly... But let's all acknowledge the hard work, and great value the hosting of this forum has been for us all... 

the great valve the hosting of this forum has been foe us.. I agree but Has Been and what happened this week.

I missed a day so this is a surprise.. I'm disappointed so will check with in several days to see IF they get the Forum back to normal.

Was we given any warning  of the chances like what were trying to do.

Who is responsible, Was Escapees aware??? ,

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

It appears as if some folks don't realize that all these forums run on software "platforms" that are provided by 3rd parties.  In other words, Escapees uses commercial "forum software" which it "tailors" but which it doesn't write.  Sometimes software vendors change (update) their platforms for their own reasons.  When that happens, the new version often has a look and feel that is somewhat different from what it was before.  The user (in this case Escapees) has some ability to modify (tailor) the new platform but, most likely, it can't be returned to its previous look.  

So it's reasonable to ask Escapees to fix some of the more annoying features of this new version, such as the ever-present announcements, but it's unreasonable to expect that they will ever completely restore it to what it once looked like.  That simply won't happen.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

What's so strange is that I can't find a single comment from any administrator about why the change happened. It just happened out of the blue.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5RL used for full-timing for several years. Sold

2114 Sunnbrook 25' RL pull trailer for summer camping and short trips.

2007 Chevy diesel 

It's also reasonable to expect notification of changes and information on how to adapt to those changes.  I believe it's very unprofessional of the third party or Escapees to make unexpected major changes.  Also.....this is the second day and no word from anyone to tell us what's going on and what happened.       Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Well, if you aren't patient enough to wait for website completion, ask for your money back. I've seen 3 major website changes now, the first two had a rocky start too, but they improved rapidly; no reason to think this one will not get better quickly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Lifetime member, no refunds.  Not leaving the Escapees anyway and I do expect it to improve, that's the only way it can go.  If it's not completed why put it online with no notification? 

We went through an "upgrade" with the HitchHiker Owners forum awhile back and at least we were told of the coming changes.    Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Big Greg, I was referring to the forum being free. Did not mean to slam Escapee members, sorry.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

56 minutes ago, Earl1 said:

What's so strange is that I can't find a single comment from any administrator about why the change happened. It just happened out of the blue.

From another thread, posted 13 hours ago by James Hendricks:

"The changes resulted from what would have normally been a routine update.  However, the host (IPS) has included major changes in the layout for the new version.  I've checked into it and the older version is going out of support shortly.  Therefore, switching to the prior format won't be an option.  On the upside, the newest version does contain all the latest required security updates.  We will be making some minor changes on the site.  However, the core functionality will, out of necessity, remain the same.  The host is also the company that produces the software used on this board.  The advantage being that the board stays up to date on all updates.  The disadvantage is also that it stays up to date on all updates.

I'm researching a few of the issues.  The reason that your name may have changed is the result of the fact that the board now displays your username for your name.  The old version supported something called "display name" which it would substitute for your username if you had display name set.  IPS has chosen to eliminate that particular feature.

We will make changes in areas that we have the option to do so.  However, in the world of computers, things are always in flux."

51 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

From another thread, posted 13 hours ago by James Hendricks:

"The changes resulted from what would have normally been a routine update.  However, the host (IPS) has included major changes in the layout for the new version.  I've checked into it and the older version is going out of support shortly.  Therefore, switching to the prior format won't be an option.  On the upside, the newest version does contain all the latest required security updates.  We will be making some minor changes on the site.  However, the core functionality will, out of necessity, remain the same.  The host is also the company that produces the software used on this board.  The advantage being that the board stays up to date on all updates.  The disadvantage is also that it stays up to date on all updates.

I'm researching a few of the issues.  The reason that your name may have changed is the result of the fact that the board now displays your username for your name.  The old version supported something called "display name" which it would substitute for your username if you had display name set.  IPS has chosen to eliminate that particular feature.

We will make changes in areas that we have the option to do so.  However, in the world of computers, things are always in flux."

I check the feed a couple of times a day and, with the old format, saw everything. I think it says something about the new format that I missed the above. Updates or no, from a user standpoint, it's not nearly as usable.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

At least the Announcements that appeared on every single page have disappeared!

There is one thing I like about this new forum:  I open each new thread in a new window which comes up smaller than the original page.  Prior to this new revision, I'd have to maximize the window in order to read the posts from left to right.  With this new update, I don't have to do that extra step since the entire discussion fits in the smaller window.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived