Construction On Hwy 59!!!!!

coachmac9

"Transportation Commission Approves Polk County Project...

A $2.2 million construction project was approved that includes new overlay on US 59 from SL 393 South to the Trinity River. Moore Brothers Construction, Lufkin, will serve as contractor for the project."

Just saw this posted on the Polk County Today website and wanted to pass it along...this will be a major headache when it starts. Lots of traffic and long back-ups are usually caused because of the heavy traffic involved on Hwy. 59 from Livingston to Houston. 

That's the bad part...it is really a pain to go around this area...there are not a lot of alternatives...Hwy 146 is one or go over to Huntsville and hit I-45 but that's about it...I grew up in that area and traveled just about every road (from county rd to interstates) in Polk as well as all the counties around Livingston and when 59 gets shut down for construction or accidents it is a major nightmare for travelers to Houston.  

Many of us complain that local governments don't do a good job of maintaining our roads. How do we expect them to do that without inconveniencing us? It's often said that in Minnesota we have two seasons: winter and road construction. I'd rather deal with the road construction than poorly maintained roads. I will always remember crossing Louisiana on I-10 back in 2008. Or 2009. I remember the road not the date!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Many of us complain that local governments don't do a good job of maintaining our roads. How do we expect them to do that without inconveniencing us? It's often said that in Minnesota we have two seasons: winter and road construction. I'd rather deal with the road construction than poorly maintained roads. I will always remember crossing Louisiana on I-10 back in 2008. Or 2009. I remember the road not the date!

Linda Sand

This could be tied to the forum about road/fuel taxes. When I do  plan a route, I now use One Stop Shop for Traveler's Information. It has everything I need to know.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

State Hwy 59 is a major road and it starts in Laredo, TX,  and leaves Texas in Texarkana.

It has been neglected for many years and once you get north of Livingston it goes thru small towns

with low speed limits and in a few places it is a two lane road. This is what they mean when they

say 'infrastructure'. The US has neglected infrastructure for a long time and we are paying for it now.

Archived