Suburban Anode Rod

apopj

Hello all,

I am having a tough time finding an anode rod for my Suburban SW6D water heater. I did a google search, and a lot of "Suburban 6 gallon anode rods" showed up. Only, they are all 9 1/2 inches long, while mine is about 6". When I ask the dealer if it will fit, I get a resounding NO..... wonder why it was listed then???? Anyhow, can anyone tell me a mail order site to get one? I would like the aluminum one as the magnesium one lasts about a third as long. I know, it's doing it's job, but I would like the aluminum one....  Thanks for the help...

Jeff and Diane

Houselessnothomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

Are you sure you really need a 6" anode and have not seen if a 9-1/2" will fit?  Some RV accessory companies make a shorter one that will fit into an Atwood, even though Atwood does not need an anode.  An example - https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11553-Magnesium-Anode-Rod/dp/B000701HEQ .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks to you all... I have ordered the rod from Amazon. Thanks again. The original was only 6" so hope this one fits. I have been told many times that Atwood does not need an anode rod. Does anyone know why they sell one for that heater? It says right on the package that it's 1/2" pipe fitting specifically for the Atwood Water Heater. Just curious... 

Jeff and Diane

HouselessNotHomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

The reason for the Atwood anode rod is to separate the people from their money when they know no better and do not read the Atwood manual.  A sucker is born every minute and people will buy what they don't need because someone else has an anode rod in their heater not realizing it is in a Suburban not an Atwood.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

Personally I would buy the 9-1/2" rod and see if it fit. If not, use a hacksaw to shorten it.  

If you need to shorten it and bought a magnesium rod, you can light up the metal shavings since magnesium is quite flammable and be a contender for the Darwin Awards.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

21 hours ago, sundancer268 said:

The reason for the Atwood anode rod is to separate the people from their money when they know no better and do not read the Atwood manual.  A sucker is born every minute and people will buy what they don't need because someone else has an anode rod in their heater not realizing it is in a Suburban not an Atwood.

Very true. Anything that someone will buy there will be someone else to sell it, even if it makes problems worse. If you read the warranty with an Atwood it states that installing any sort of anode will void the warranty. The reason is that they use an aluminum tank while Suburban uses steel. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived