Tow Dolly

I've never owned one but I happen to know that for many years when these dollys were more popular the Demco KarKaddy was considered the, or one of the, best.  A friend of mine just bought a new one direct from the factory last summer to tow a car behind his MH.  I happen to know a little about this unit and Demco because it just happens to be located in the very tiny town in IA where I spent the first 18 years of my life.  For many years Demco manufactured thousands of these things.  Many painted brown with their company name on the mud flaps and many more painted orange and sold to U-Haul.  I believe they were the first to manufacture these units with "steerable"  wheels and rotating "pads" for the towed's wheels.  This design avoided all "dragging" when going around corners.

http://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/tow-dollies/

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

• 2 weeks later...

I for one and I'm sure I am the only one would not have four down! Many reasons, I wont start a food fight here, but one thing I like is I can simply buy a new front wheel drive car and not suffer with more modifications.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Thanks for starting this thread, we rented a u-haul tow dolly last summer and are seriously considering buying one also. The main reason is that we love the car that we have (and it is paid for!!)  and it is not towable four down so buying a tow dolly is the cheapest and easiest route for us to go. 

I have noticed in the four-down versus dolly debates, brakes are never discussed.  With a four-down setup, the auxiliary brake unit will apply the four toad brakes when activated.  With a dolly, there are only two brakes and they are not any larger that the toad brakes because of the wheel sizes on the dollies.

It is a thought.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I've been researching this for a while and believe that the Acme Eze-Tow Dolly is one of the best buys out there. It comes with surge brakes. It's lighter than most of the competitors, and as far as I know it's the only dolly that is designed to stand up on end when stored, meaning that you can probably fit it on your campsite. www.cartowdolly.com.

I'm searching for a used one within 200 miles of Newark, NJ. Please let me know if anyone has one you'd like to get rid of! Otherwise, I'll be ordering a new one in a couple of months.

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

Oh... forgot to mention...

The reason we have decided to go with a dolly is that our toad is a 2003 Jetta. I'd hate to spend $3000 to get everything I need to tow the Jetta 4-down, then decide we need to replace it next year and have to have another car modified for towing for even more money. Meanwhile, the EZE-Tow top of the line with all the accessories is just over $2000 including shipping.

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

• 2 months later...

Got the Acme and had the fabricating shop put on a swing back wheel.  It was pretty heavy to move around for this old guy. The picture size was too large to post.  If you want to see what we did let me know and I'll e-mail one to you 

Archived