Welding Or Plasma Cutter ECM Protection?

Cotreker

Quick question, I found a great Volvo with a 22' box that needs to be cut off. To date I have been disconnecting the negative battery terminal to protect the truck electronics. I am cutting with a plasma cutter which is working great. No problems yet with starting it but I thought I better ask.

My truck:

Volvo 670

275,000 miles

22' box - Will soon load my Arctic Fox slide-in camper on the deck

Lot's to learn, drove it home from Dallas, Tx

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

For the ultimate in safety, unplug and remove anything electrical. Perhaps a bit unpractical, but safe.

That said, I built my bed with everything hooked up and functional. I didn't even unhook the batteries. I was very careful to always put my ground lead very close to the work area, and hooked directly to said area, not causing the electrons to wander about, looking for the path of least resistance. I know several truck builders who do the same, none has EVER had an issue.

Welding approved flame suit on..................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I don't recommend unplugging things like modules, because I think the likelyhood of causing a connection problem are far higher than a ESD welding issue-- if you follow the above procedure of proper grounding and battery disconnection. Anytime you start messing with plugs, you just multiply the likelyhood of a failure at the connection.

Now, I will caution against welding too near a "hall effect" sensor. I don't know if any trucks use them, but they might be used for the TPS on some vehicles. We found out the hard way that welding within 12" of a 'hall effect" sensor can demagnetize the sensing magnet! The arc creates a EMF. Not a ESD issue, unplugging doesn't help!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

On our build we did MIG, TIG, & PLASMA. We always had a bare spot of metal on the chassis we'd brush up and attach the ground to. Nearby we also had a spot where we'd use vise grips to clamp a 3/8 chain that hung down to the ground and we'd hit it with a watering can, now we have a big copper rod in the ground. We always removed the cables from the batteries just in case and the final part was pop the top off the instrument panel and disconnect the cables from the instrument display, they are expensive and accessible. So far so good.

Pretty much what Rickeieio said X2

I do disconnect the battery, and I do place the ground clamp as close to the weld as I can get it

Have had Stick, Mig, and Tig done on this truck and the same on many other vehicles. Never a problem.

That said, keep in mind that I, along with most others on forums, have no problem with spending plenty of your money....

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Still no pics. Does this truck really exist?

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Wow i really like this truck. Is there any more like it. How did you find it. I want to make a hdt with a box for 2 motorcycles and tools if I could find one like this i would cut the box in two and i would be done. If you have anymore info I would like to hear it or at least so more pictures.

national rally 2021.jpg

Now was that so hard!!!!    Will stop by on Sat to check on progress.

Edited by crazybanshee

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

How I found the truck, great question.  Lots of internet eye searching and get smart at search terms and truck styles.  I ended up searching for Expeditor / Hot Shot trucks and found this one with a 22' box, thought it was too long but after my measurements and storage wants it is just fine.  28" of stand up storage space next to the front of the truck (by the pipe) and then 98" of storage space under the camper overhang, these spaces tie into each other.  Future, slide-in camper will be a much larger unit.

I welcome crazybanshee and others in the Denver area to come over this weekend and help me cut down the remainder of the box.  Have plasma cutter will cut until it is off.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

• 2 years later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:48 PM, GlenCurtis said:

As a welder, I suggest you to be careful with that. 

Glen, do realize this is a 2 1/2 year old thread that you are talking in? Cotreker has bought, built and is driving the truck in question. As a matter of fact it is parked at the HDT rally with me and about 35 others right now.  :)  :)

Edited by Kirk W

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Current flows from ground to electrode including everything between them. That why important to have good clean ground connection close to electrode/welding/plamsa, etc. I never unhook batteries. Never a problem but I do this as a profession. It is a firing offense on our jobs to ground away from weld area. One can ground at ground level and go up 100' and weld. But it goes thru everything between also. Anything electrical is fried. But we don't unhook nothing. If you follow this practice you will be fine. We do on billion dollar jobs.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Glen, do realize this is a 2 1/2 year old thread that you are talking in? Cotreker has bought, built and is driving the truck in question. As a matter of fact it is parked at the HDT rally with me and about 35 others right now.  :)  :)

I think I saw it in the video on youtube of the west coast rally? For sale now?

I'm a work'n on it.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

I think I saw it in the video on youtube of the west coast rally? For sale now?

Sorry not at this time, just too nice of a truck with such low miles and runs great.  Check back with me later.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee