Back up camera

The backup camera in my Monaco 31 foot died. As it's 10 years old, replacement rather than fix is in order. Current system is hard wired. Do I replace with same, hoping wiring is compatible with new components, or get a wireless system? As the rig is relatively short, wireless should work OK. Comments on brands appreciated.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

If you examine things to see what sort of wiring you have now, you should be able to find a new system that is compatible with it. Are both the camera and the monitor defective? I would not rely on a wireless camera.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As far as "compatible wiring" on a hard wired system, as long as perhaps 12 volts DC is required and present and there's a good coax cable (or whatever for the video transmission) already in place back to front, another hard wired unit may not be too hard to configure and install. My unit didn't have any backup camera so I bought a universal WIRELESS unit on E Bay for $47 and it works perfect and I didn't have to mess running wires (29 ft rig) back to front. I guess first thing is to see what's there like 12 VDC and whatever transmission cable is in use then try and find a similar wired unit.

John T

As far as "compatible wiring" on a hard wired system, as long as perhaps 12 volts DC is required and present and there's a good coax cable (or whatever for the video transmission) already in place back to front, another hard wired unit may not be too hard to configure and install. My unit didn't have any backup camera so I bought a universal WIRELESS unit on E Bay for $47 and it works perfect and I didn't have to mess running wires (29 ft rig) back to front. I guess first thing is to see what's there like 12 VDC and whatever transmission cable is in use then try and find a similar wired unit.

John T

Or just pony up 47 bucks and be done with it . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

My unit didn't have any backup camera so I bought a universal WIRELESS unit on E Bay for $47 and it works perfect

Just wondering what unit you bought? I have heard some pretty mixed reviews on wireless versions.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sorry Kirk, I don't recall the brand and the manual is buried somewhere. I'm sure there are good and bad units out there. I think one reason mine works so well is the fact the camera/transmitter and my receiver/monitor are so close and in direct unobstructed line of sight, maybe 26+ feet from rear wall up to windshield. A friend tried one way back on the rear of his toad and then to the motorhome front (maybe 40 feet??) and it didn't work too well. Mine is a fixed rear tilt with brightness and contrast buttons on the monitor and I tried to call it up on E Bay but its no longer available or has the original listing specs or info. TRY AT ONES OWN RISK LOL but if the distance is approaching 30 feet I wouldn't bet a dime on a cheap wireless unit.

John T

I bought and installed this wireless camera. It is a Pyle, model PLCMTR76WIR, about a $100 from Amazon. I do see some one second image breakup every so often while traveling on city highways. Out in the country I have seen no breakup or at least extremely little.

I tried to decide between a $50 camera and the $200-$300 camera. I couldn't figure out the difference. So decided on a middle of the road system.

As far as signal problems, I would think the only thing which could be different is if you had different frequency bands or different signal encryption. If the $50 system had the same system as the $200 system then I would think you would experience the same signal breakup problems, no matter the cost. Quality of the display could be different.

My Class A is pretty short at 30' total length. I couldn't figure out if I could use the existing camera cable connections with the existing cable. After scratching my brain for a couple of months and looking at what I would have to do to run a new cable from the camera, down the rear cap, along the frame and then back up to above the windshield, I decided I would chance the perhaps interruptions of the camera video.

For 12V power to the camera, I cut the existing 4 wire cable, used one pair for ground and the other pair for 12V.

My old camera/display was the B&W Voyager.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We have the 56-CH system from RV cams it is 319.00 todays pricing. We have had it for over 10 years on two 5th wheels with not a problem.

We travel a lot and it is on all the time.

It is the hard wired system as the  distance monitor connection  to camera is a bit over 40  feet and the camera is on the rear ladder. 

You get what you pay for..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Most "cheap" wireless back-up systems operate at 2.4Ghz, expect a lot of interference, it's busy frequency. I too bought a cheapie off Amazon ($40), it worked well when my pickup was inside my metal MH garage, but when I backed outside it would stop working. I scratched my head for a few days until I realized the problem.

I then bought a digital wireless (Peak), which has operated flawlessly for 2 months now. ($125 @ Pep-boys). It's worth checking out for your application.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived