Overheating

Coming from a classic car and hot rod guy....electric fans are a nice add on for overheating problems. I like to wire them into a manual switch so that on a hot day they run all the time. 

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

2 hours ago, Jimalberta said:

Coming from a classic car and hot rod guy....electric fans are a nice add on for overheating problems. I like to wire them into a manual switch so that on a hot day they run all the time. 

Sounds good young Jim if it wont mess up airflow when the big fan is sucking, I like the idea of manual switch, Now if we had a variable speed on it :)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I'm afraid you guys are treating the symptom and not the real issue. The real issue is the engine is either worn out, has a cooling problem, or he is pushing it too hard up a steep hill. A F550 should play with a 20k load. The 3 speed trans should not be a issue if operated properly, fuel MPG would be the only sacrifice. The fact that he had trans cooling issues also points to a lead foot driver. The recovery tank crack also indicates the engine got hot once and the pressure released through the tank, and luck it wasn't a head gasket.

Greg

11 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I'm afraid you guys are treating the symptom and not the real issue. The real issue is the engine is either worn out, has a cooling problem, or he is pushing it too hard up a steep hill. A F550 should play with a 20k load. The 3 speed trans should not be a issue if operated properly, fuel MPG would be the only sacrifice. The fact that he had trans cooling issues also points to a lead foot driver. The recovery tank crack also indicates the engine got hot once and the pressure released through the tank, and luck it wasn't a head gasket.

Greg

This F550 has a little 6.0 pulling 20K trailer which is probably rated for 14K and if ford is like dodge the recovery tank is plastic and old age cracks them. I had to replace mine and the recovery has no pressure on it if it gets full it runs out over the outlet

Jim Spence

You have to fix this step by step

Any coolant leaks? If so fix them!

If no leaks does the engine loose coolant after a run?

If so is it at the tank cap?

That would be a bad cap or high pressure in the cooling system.

Does the fan come on? If so what temp?

Need this info before going any further.

Not to push a point, but TravinBob has been asked several times about the fan/clutch, but I cant find his answer. 

If the fan doesnt come on properly, you cant have proper cooling. The 7.3 usually works fine, but age takes its toll on everything. Also old hoses can collapse, cutting off the water flow. Thermostat is easy and cheap to change, too.  

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Also the 6.0 water pump has had a design change, I can't remember what year that wasdone but you have to change the front cover when changing over to the new design.

You can guess and change parts all day long and not fix it without more info.

6 hours ago, Fulltimer51 said:

Not to push a point, but TravinBob has been asked several times about the fan/clutch, but I cant find his answer. 

If the fan doesnt come on properly, you cant have proper cooling. The 7.3 usually works fine, but age takes its toll on everything. Also old hoses can collapse, cutting off the water flow. Thermostat is easy and cheap to change, too.  

Somwheres way back when He said he has the 6.0 which brings up a whole different kettle of fish. My 5.9 Cummins with a 60HP chip bogs down pulling 14K up a hill so go figure what that 6.0 is doing pulling 20K Plus his F550 is probably heavier than my 3500. I would be willing to bet his fan clutch is working or he wouldn't make it uphill to the next wifi spot to be able to tell us about it. I would start with a new possibly colder thermostat and possibly an electric fan, clean the bugs out and throw out all the DWs cast iron skillets and any other things she can live without One pair of shoes is all she needs !

Jim Spence

3 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Somwheres way back when He said he has the 6.0 which brings up a whole different kettle of fish. My 5.9 Cummins with a 60HP chip bogs down pulling 14K up a hill so go figure what that 6.0 is doing pulling 20K Plus his F550 is probably heavier than my 3500. I would be willing to bet his fan clutch is working or he wouldn't make it uphill to the next wifi spot to be able to tell us about it. I would start with a new possibly colder thermostat and possibly an electric fan, clean the bugs out and throw out all the DWs cast iron skillets and any other things she can live without One pair of shoes is all she needs !

I thought the 6.0L didn't come out until 2003. The OP has a 2001 F550. One of our hot shot drivers had the 7.3L in his F350 and hauled 20k steel coils all over the NE, 36k gross. We drove those trucks to the limits, but it took a good driver to handle it. Yes, we were DOT inspected with commercial plates. Head gaskets were a common issues, otherwise the 7.3L was a power horse of a motor.

Greg

10 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I thought the 6.0L didn't come out until 2003. The OP has a 2001 F550. One of our hot shot drivers had the 7.3L in his F350 and hauled 20k steel coils all over the NE, 36k gross. We drove those trucks to the limits, but it took a good driver to handle it. Yes, we were DOT inspected with commercial plates. Head gaskets were a common issues, otherwise the 7.3L was a power horse of a motor.

Greg

But the NE is flat and downhill

Jim Spence

9 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

But the NE is flat and downhill

Sorry to keep challenging you but Snowshoe pass, PA on I-80 is 2250 elevation with 7% grades. I know it's not like the West mountains, but a 7.3L can pull 36k lbs up those hills w/o overheating on a regular basis. So it can be done at the proper speed.

I really am curious what travelingbob finds for a solution and hope he post his solution here which would be helpful for all 7.3L owners.

Greg

Do you have a boost gauge?

if the engine isn't  getting making proper boost it will lug and cause it to run hot. 

Leaking up pipes, leaking exhaust manifolds or blockage in the exhaust system  

If the thermostat was changed some aftermarket ones do not have the bleeder in it.  Also have seen the bleeder filled with sealant. Either or would cause it to become air bound. 

If auto transmission it can be running hot and cause the coolant to say hotter in the radiator. 

Just a few things. 

18 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

Sorry to keep challenging you but Snowshoe pass, PA on I-80 is 2250 elevation with 7% grades. I know it's not like the West mountains, but a 7.3L can pull 36k lbs up those hills w/o overheating on a regular basis. So it can be done at the proper speed.

I really am curious what travelingbob finds for a solution and hope he post his solution here which would be helpful for all 7.3L owners.

Greg

I love a good challenge but I sure dont like overheating engines, I also am looking to see what the answer is But yes 2300' I would be half way to the top before I started shifting down 7 %  I can handle but when they get worse I start looking for the long way around. Its the 7-8K that have me wondering if I am going to get over the top eventually. I asked the question once and I dont recall the answer if there was one. What is the timing situation on a 7.3 ? I think a Dynometer test might tell whats going on, possibly a defective computer ?

Jim Spence

One of the big issues with most stock automatic transmissions is they do not lock up in lower gears. So you are running on "juice" when in 2nd and 3rd with most automatics. This creates huge heat and inturn, robs cooling from the engine radiator.

I have a 2500 Dodge with 5.9 Diesel and Iike to travel backroads pulling a 9K pound trailer. I used to see transmission tmperatures of 260 degrees and engine temps of 220. I use a "Juice With Attitude" tuner to monitor real time temperatures.

I recently replaced the transmission with a BD Diesel "Haul Tow" transmission that locks up in all gears and replaced the stock radiator with a Mishimoto. I recently returned from a 6231 mile trip out west with zero heat issues! Transmission never saw over 180 degrees and engine never over 205.

I believe BD Diesel makes a device that forces Ford transmissions to lock up in all gears. Might be worth a look.

On the Dodge transmissions there is a wire you can hook a switch into that causes the transmission to lock in all gears, but you need to remember to deactivate when coming to a stop or it will stall the engine or you end up standing on the brakes to stop the truck.

Hope this helps! Here is all the mods I've recently done to my truck... www.rvbprecision.com

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived