Overheating

When I pull a steep grade my engine tends to run hot.

I've been considering replacing my coolant recovery tank that has a small crack near the top that seeps a little. Not enough to drip but I can still see the coolant forming on the 1/2" crack. When the engine is warm and I remove the tank cap I can hear the pressure release so it must be under pressure.

I do know that under 15 PSI it increases the boiling point of the coolant.

With the small crack and seep would it still be able to retain some PSI but not 15 PSI.????

I would think that any "break" in the system would not be able to create any PSI.

Recovery tank is not big dollars but I don't want to do it if it's not going to solve my problem.

This has been an on going problem for many years with my F550 pulling 20,000#.

Tranny temp goes up as well, installed a larger than factory tranny cooler.

One of the biggest problems with the truck IMO is that its a 3 speed with OD.

I think the newer trucks with more speeds to use makes a big difference.

Ant thoughts on this ???

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

sounds like you're overworking engine and transmission...shift down a gear or two so they can cool down When really hot I found I had to get my RPMs up to 3000 to bring temp down even in lower gears / Recovery tank has no pressure but if it leaks make sure you keep fluid in it being as the water draws back into your radiator when things cool down

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

You might be pushing too hard up the grade. Put your flashers on and downshift to 2nd gear, even 1st if needed. Watch what the big trucks do, they start the grade fast and slow down to a crawl at the top of the grade, this puts the least load on the drive train. Yes, get the crack repaired while you can, the crack will only get worse, it won't fix itself. It's best to keep you vehicle in top condition, someday you could forget to top the recovery tank off with grave consequences.

Greg

Very unlikely that replacing the recovery tank will help with the overheating. Much more likely that a thermostat, water pump, partially clogged radiator or defective fan clutch is the problem. After you've figured out what the real problem is, replace the recovery tank.

Gas or diesel.

Clutch fan or electric fan.

What year 550.

This info will help with an answer

At the bottom of his post it shows 2001 F 550 Starhauler

Jim Spence

Very unlikely that replacing the recovery tank will help with the overheating. Much more likely that a thermostat, water pump, partially clogged radiator or defective fan clutch is the problem. After you've figured out what the real problem is, replace the recovery tank.

I think shifting down will make a big difference

Jim Spence

I've always been told not to run overdrive when pulling a trailer. My 94 150 has a lock out button. If you really have an overflow tank, there should be no pressure. There must be a cap on the cooling system that allows overflow and then recovery. If it is , not a "recovery tank" then yes it will have pressure and that leak will be loosing coolant. FYI, boiling point is 212F sea level, increasing the pressure in the rad raises that, not lowers.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

If you are running a stock 7.3 Power Stroke, you will need to increase your cooling capacity (think custom multi core radiator with a large tranny cooler) or learn to slow down going up the big hills. I think that year of F550 was rated at roughly 30K GCWR and that was only with the optional towing package. You are right at that maximum with a 20K trailer.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1. Is your overheating problem the reason that you have the entire outfit for sale? I would start by making sure that the radiator & transmission cooler are both free of dirt, bugs and obstructions. Then get the cooling system flushed. If that don't work it may be time to have it rodded out or perhaps to upgrade it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The "tanks" on Fords are part of the cooling system and are pressurized.

How hot is hot? I dont think a rise in temps is unusual.

One thing common to both engine and tranny temps is air flow. Down shifting reduces EGTs and can increase air flow if the cooling fan clutch is working properly.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Kirk, yes the truck and trailer was for sale back in 2009 when we bought our dream house but that was a short dream. We had it 4 years and decided that we enjoyed the fulltime life as a RV'er much better and have been back on the road since 2013.

-

The truck has had a rad flush a few years ago and I had a larger tranny cooler installed for a 6.0 PSD.

Engine temps on a big pull will get in the red and I have to pull over and let it cool down.

Tranny temps climbs and almost reaches the red but hasn't since I put on larger cooler.

-

I'm tired of this problem and would like to get it resolved.

I'm thinking on a new radiator but I hate to buy and install if that's not the problem.

-

Engine and tranny temps are fine until I come to a long and steep hill to climb.

It has improved since the flush but it still gets too hot, it just takes a little longer

for me to pull over and let her cool down.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
IN GOD WE TRUST

George, believe me I down shift. I only have a total of 4 speeds and I'm in 2nd gear on some of the larger hills and running 35 MPH.

I know my weight is the biggest factor, I'm real close to the max 30,000 combined but it is what it is.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
IN GOD WE TRUST

Kirk, yes the truck and trailer was for sale back in 2009 when we bought our dream house but that was a short dream. We had it 4 years and decided that we enjoyed the fulltime life as a RV'er much better and have been back on the road since 2013.

-

The truck has had a rad flush a few years ago and I had a larger tranny cooler installed for a 6.0 PSD.

Engine temps on a big pull will get in the red and I have to pull over and let it cool down.

Tranny temps climbs and almost reaches the red but hasn't since I put on larger cooler.

-

I'm tired of this problem and would like to get it resolved.

I'm thinking on a new radiator but I hate to buy and install if that's not the problem.

-

Engine and tranny temps are fine until I come to a long and steep hill to climb.

It has improved since the flush but it still gets too hot, it just takes a little longer

for me to pull over and let her cool down.

Do you hear the fan clutch turn on when the temp starts to go up?

If you don't hear it you have 1 of 2 problems.

The clutch is no good or the radiator is dirty or has bent fins.

I towed for years with 2001 7.3 12,000 lb trailer and you could always hear the clutch turn on.

As far as the trans temp it is normal for them to run hot towing on a hot day even with no hill. You want to keep an eye on that and when you are starting to getting too high all you need to do is pull over, put it in park and run it about half throttle till the temp comes down. It will also work at idle but takes longer to cool. Do not turn the engine off or the temp go up and over heat the trans.

When the trans gets too hot the first thing you will see is a leak at the front pump seal.

Hope this helps

Rick

My 5.9 has had me below 35 towing probably 16K.... I try to arrange my traveling to hit steep grades in the morning while its cool and end up in the lower gears, I can normally pass trucks on a grade but not very fast. If she starts heating up just drop down a gear and run your rpms where its comfortable an put your flashers on for traffic coming up behind you.. What gear ratio is the rear end ? mine are 4:10s

Jim Spence

Timing will affect temperature/advanced to far will cause heat,. Bigger exhaust might help, or it could be a combination of all the things listed...Like where to start ?

Jim Spence

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 7:58 AM, travelinbob said:

Another thought, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 35 MPH, I'm in no hurry, it's the overheating that bothers me.

35 MPH is pretty fast for going up a steep hill, why the hurry?? My Chevy 3500 climbed Donners Pass a couple of years ago hauling 25k lbs and started over heating. I realized I was running about 35 MPH which was to much for the Duramax/Allison. Next time I do that pass, I will slow down to 25 MPH and take my time. These type of hills represent about .5% of my pulling miles, so it's not a problem to slow down for them.

Greg

Replace/repair the overflow-pressurized tank. You'd be surprised at how that crack affects radiator pressure. You may remove your tank, clean thoroughly; contact an auto  body repair shop about having the crack permanently plastic- welded together. What is actually does is melt the plastic filler rod into the tank material. The only thing the shop requires is to know the type plastic from which the tank is made.

Whoever suggested checking out the cooling fan for proper operation was right on point.

Begin with the cheapest and easiest to replace/repair when chasing a problem, the expensive stuff comes later, and improves mamma disposition.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived