MDT/HDT Propaganda

Av8r3400

My 2 cents, I’m in a little bit different circumstance as I don’t yet own my 5ver or my truck and am still 5 years or so from the full timing lifestyle. The 5ver we are leaning towards would be a 39-footer, GVWR 21K with 4-5k pin weight, Initially I also want to be at 65’ or less in total length. I believe a 4500/5500 dually, set-up properly would certainly be adequate to tow this but IMHO for us the HDT is the better choice for several reasons that have nothing to do with me needing a big truck. Here’s my list and I’m sure it’s certainly not complete.

The only truck I’ll ever need (Planning on 10-15 yrs. on the road) regardless of upgrading to a bigger 5ver later

Much further range between fueling

Greater visibility while driving

Additional cargo capacity

Better engine braking

Most likely better fuel economy

Greater degree cut on steer tires

A 2nd living quarters when children and grandchildren visit

A standalone RV for when my wife and I want to take that weekend trip a couple of hours away.

Safer (IMHO)

I could have added more but I left a few things off the list as I have not fully confirmed their accuracy, but this was just the easy stuff that has persuaded my wife and I that the HDT is the right personal choice for us.

Then again, I haven’t made the purchase yet.

Love this forum wish I had more time, I really need to retire.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kinda fun reading all of the flat-landers spitting on each other regarding truck size......

I suppose I have no "problems" or too many problens regarding trucks since I own every size ranging from my Samuria to the Toyota to the Jimmy to c-10 to the k2500 to 3500 Duramax to F750 to Freightshaker tandem.....I might have forgotten a couple but seems like enough junk to keep in stock.

All most everyone here has towed past the data plate limits in RV travels and yes indeed no RV dealer that I know of has pitched a HDT to a customer about to buy a big trailer but that same sales geek will sure be happy to hitch a way too small pickup to a way too big trailer and then the new proud owner wonders home and fills up he trailer full of two tons of "essentials "....

Almost everywhere we go out West is steep twisty roads and our tiny M11 and Jake simply leave all of the super pickups on the side of the road if they try to keep up......it just ain't a fair fight.

The Davis grade is a huge TV commercial setting for many super pickup commercials and we have traveled the grade a lot with the Freightshaker and the funny thing is that it is a "NO-EVENT"event in the Shaker but it's a Big TV event in a New Super pickup with a load towing......the real event would be to turn that super pickup around at the top of the grade and drive back down the grade and then just see how much it is not to try to stop that big load at the red traffic signal at the bottom of the grade at the river....The Shaker descends the Davis with Jake toggled between low to high position and NO service until we get to the red traffic light....the hard part is hoping that some super pickup with a big trailer with smoking brakes is coming up behind us.....ya various exhaust brakes are used on pickups but they pale compared to a real Jake...

The Davis grade is child's play compared to many of the VERY steep twisty outback roads we travel and these roads will overtax the super pickup a LOT......

Some times towing ain't a fair fight.....

Drive on.......(big inches engine and Jake have a place....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It's kinda fun reading all of the flat-landers spitting on each other regarding truck size......

I suppose I have no "problems" or too many problens regarding trucks since I own every size ranging from my Samuria to the Toyota to the Jimmy to c-10 to the k2500 to 3500 Duramax to F750 to Freightshaker tandem.....I might have forgotten a couple but seems like enough junk to keep in stock.

All most everyone here has towed past the data plate limits in RV travels and yes indeed no RV dealer that I know of has pitched a HDT to a customer about to buy a big trailer but that same sales geek will sure be happy to hitch a way too small pickup to a way too big trailer and then the new proud owner wonders home and fills up he trailer full of two tons of "essentials "....

Almost everywhere we go out West is steep twisty roads and our tiny M11 and Jake simply leave all of the super pickups on the side of the road if they try to keep up......it just ain't a fair fight.

The Davis grade is a huge TV commercial setting for many super pickup commercials and we have traveled the grade a lot with the Freightshaker and the funny thing is that it is a "NO-EVENT"event in the Shaker but it's a Big TV event in a New Super pickup with a load towing......the real event would be to turn that super pickup around at the top of the grade and drive back down the grade and then just see how much it is not to try to stop that big load at the red traffic signal at the bottom of the grade at the river....The Shaker descends the Davis with Jake toggled between low to high position and NO service until we get to the red traffic light....the hard part is hoping that some super pickup with a big trailer with smoking brakes is coming up behind us.....ya various exhaust brakes are used on pickups but they pale compared to a real Jake...

The Davis grade is child's play compared to many of the VERY steep twisty outback roads we travel and these roads will overtax the super pickup a LOT......

Some times towing ain't a fair fight.....

Drive on.......(big inches engine and Jake have a place....)

I don't suppose freightliner doing a commercial showing it best a 3500 Ram pick-up truck hauling a 20,000lb 5th wheel to the top of Davis damn would do much to increase their intended class 8 customer base. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I don't suppose freightliner doing a commercial showing it best a 3500 Ram pick-up truck hauling a 20,000lb 5th wheel to the top of Davis damn would do much to increase their intended class 8 customer base. :)

Sniper you bring up a good point.....

Not sure what Freighshaker "thinks" about a bunch of RV'ers using their class 8 trucks to tow with ......they seem pretty happy to sell their Sport - model class 6 - 7 trucks to any RV'er with a pocket full of cash.....

You also make a good point it would be ho-humm-no--notice to load any of the super--pickup-tv-star truck trailer combos on a low-deck trailer and zip up AND down the Davis grade.....no one would likely notice .........

Here is the deal......the Dollytrolley fully loaded is about 30% of the 105,500LB licensed weight that the Shaker spent it's first 1,018,000 miles of operations so these days our combo is just enough weight to get the suspension to work some the rest of the truck is just idling.......to compare the load it would be about the same as driving a super pickup around with two cases of Dr Pepper in the bed........not much danger with that load except Phil might pull you over................

Drive on......(What trailer....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

There are both pros & cons to any setup. As it has been said on here many times, again and again, an HDT is not for everybody and I could not agree more. We have seen a few buy HDTs then decide to go back to P/U. Most who sell their HDT it is because they either are getting off the road or have decided to go to a motorhome. Currently our HDT is for sale. We are in the switching to a motorhome camp. For us the hardest part of making the switch is giving up the HDT.

Like most things in life, to truly appreciate the difference between two things you need to experience both. If this photo was a real and the owner of this mini-truck had only experienced pulling this trailer with his mini-truck and he was happy with it, I am sure he would think that 1T P/U was overkill and not necessary.

Garnner.JPG

One thing to keep in mind about these videos, they are basically infomercials. He has sponsors and makes revenue for producing these videos. His sponsors make and sell P/U truck accessories. So his videos are going to be very pro P/U.

A few months ago he did a video where he was showing off his truck with two pallets of bottled water loaded in the bed. That prompted a lot of responses by viewers about how much more they haul with their P/Us. He was spending quite a bit of time trying to remind people people how unsafe it is to overload any vehicle. My guess is somebody might have pointed out that he was possibly overloaded. IF that is the case and the discussion turned to MDT/HDT then that could be the motivation for this video.

In that video he only guesses the weight of the bottled water. It would not surprise me if somebody knew or figured out the true weight. I forget what his guess was but I shook my head in disbelief. My FD receives donated bottle water. Each pallet is 2800#. I have been there picking up water and watched the distributor turn others away if they show with just a P/U.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Sniper you bring up a good point.....

Not sure what Freighshaker "thinks" about a bunch of RV'ers using their class 8 trucks to tow with ......they seem pretty happy to sell their Sport - model class 6 - 7 trucks to any RV'er with a pocket full of cash.....

You also make a good point it would be ho-humm-no--notice to load any of the super--pickup-tv-star truck trailer combos on a low-deck trailer and zip up AND down the Davis grade.....no one would likely notice .........

Here is the deal......the Dollytrolley fully loaded is about 30% of the 105,500LB licensed weight that the Shaker spent it's first 1,018,000 miles of operations so these days our combo is just enough weight to get the suspension to work some the rest of the truck is just idling.......to compare the load it would be about the same as driving a super pickup around with two cases of Dr Pepper in the bed........not much danger with that load except Phil might pull you over................

Drive on......(What trailer....)

Well if I'm ever caught hauling two cases of Dr Pepper in the bed of my old dually I should be pulled over. I'm probably up to no good. :D

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I agree, lots of BS there. Over 100k towing with the Volvo and NEVER been pulled over. He really comes across as anti MDT/HDT.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I would never go back to a LDT! I started with a 2014 F-350 bought a new 5th wheel (heavier) had to buy a new 2016 F450 bought a New Horizon and it was just to much RV for the truck. Yes it would pull it yes it would stop it (under normal conditions )but the mpg and the ride were the pits. If you want to know why a HDT is the way to go drive through Shreveport, LA on I10 West at 55 mph with your maxed out LDT. I had 9,000 miles on the new truck and lost my but selling it, but after our first trip in the HDT we did not feel so bad about throwing that money out the window. Plus we feel so much more comfortable towing now.

I just got 9.3 mpg average on a trip of 2,800 miles a route we travel twice a year the best I ever got in my LDT was 8.4 mpg. On this one trip with fuel at $2.50 a gallon the savings were $165.00, not a lot but over time it adds up and when fuel gets back to 4-5 a gallon the savings will be better.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Well I guess I better sell my HDT and buy a new LGT so I can save some money. All these repairs are so expenx

sive and keep me from traveling. While I'm at it I had better sell my jeep because my LGT will be too lightweight to transport it too. 

Naaaa.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Well if I'm ever caught hauling two cases of Dr Pepper in the bed of my old dually I should be pulled over. I'm probably up to no good. :D

I have a test kit for that. Can't have someone hauling synthetic DP through my county. :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I will admit that the Dodge I had pulled better uphill...... kinda ........sorta........

Who doesn't like driving a 600hp 1100tq  dually up a 4-5 mile grade?  Having twin turbos screaming at 35psi of boost, the big dual 4' exhaust pipes roaring, the fuel pressure gauge hovering at 23-26k psi, watching the fuel gauge drop like a rock and the EGT gauge at 1200* at the top of the hill.   Plus don't forget the transmission screaming at you because the temps are around 210-220 and the clutches are starting to smell..... and that after the 6k custom transmission.  

Nope, it wasn't fun towing with it.  On flat land, east coast, southern states, it was ok  Cruising south on flat I-95 or across I-10 it was fine, didn't stop for crap even with a PacBrake, aftermarket Powerslot rotors, and EBC GreenStuff brake pads.  Had to add Airbags to keep the 4800lbs of pin weight from making the overload springs ride on the bump stops.  Having the concrete road segments set up an oscillation between the truck and RV was fun.  Would start bouncing gently then would increase until the truck was being moved around.  After awhile I knew what sections of highway I had to do what speed on.  

Now all I do is steer and play with the radio, look down into convertible's, and wonder if the guy that bought my 'ole Dodge has sold it yet....

Uphill, downhill, good roads, bad roads, doesn't matter.... we just enjoy the ride now.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

Snipe you old goat we are going to get along pretty good.....I only good when I am napping so much of the time no-good is my gig.

Now Big5er has a shootin iron holstered to his truck seat and I could not figure that out since he is no Tom Cruze in the looks department and his puppy growls at all the chicks so he seems safe from becoming hen-pecked....... but just a few days ago he let the cat-outa-tha--bag when he hinted that he mixed Crown Royal with his Dr Pepper so......that pea-shooter is to keep the Crown Royal safe under the seat.......

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

I have a test kit for that. Can't have someone hauling synthetic DP through my county. :)

Ok Phil come clean.....so you fill a glass 3/4 full of Crown Royal and then how many drops of Dr Pepper do you mix into the C R ?

Of course the test kit is vital for a new drinker who may not have the "seasoned" taste-buds to detect too much of a good thing and overdose.....time a experience will build up the tolerance for the best things in life and then no chance to become overdosed.......

Now regarding the synthetic D P..........do you just shoot the perp or do you pistol-whip them and then shoot them....... 

Dolly- I might have the inside scoop on the CR and DP mixology....

Another fellow HDT'er with a similar red Volvo and Lil 'ole Cummins that has been parked next to Phil at an event or two gently opens up his Coke can and fills it with the CR.  So Phil may have borrowed the idea....

Or maybe vice versa???

If you happen to make a National rally, said gentleman also has other concoctions in an "Office" fridge.....in his rig.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

11 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Now Big5er has a shootin iron holstered to his truck seat and I could not figure that out since he is no Tom Cruze in the looks department and his puppy growls at all the chicks so he seems safe from becoming hen-pecked.......

Dolly - I am sure you will get no arguments on your Tom Cruze assessment.  But I know you are wrong about the puppy.  You see Phil & I (Bradley too) suffer from the same problem.  People see us coming they run, hide and flat out disappear.  If we manage to corner somebody they avoid eye contact and break away as soon as possible.  They will even chew off a limb or two if they have too.  Now some how each of our puppies have achieved "Rock Star" status.  Each of us are now nothing more then the puppies entourage.  Our jobs are to follow said puppies with plastic baggies and carry the baggies when filled until the appropriate disposal container can be found.  We are only tolerated when with said puppies because we are tethered to the puppies.  The puppies control who we visit and how long the visit will last.  So with that said the puppy helps him get closer to chicks (with out having to use chloroform).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Ricko........Just spitballing here......have you considered a.......Tazer

Not as messy as Chloroform and I'll bet Phil has a couple old Tazers rattling around in the bottom of his Crown Royal hidie-hole........

Tazer has longer range only limited by the length of the wires.......

Happy......... "hunting"

16 hours ago, Dennis M said:

I agree, lots of BS there. Over 100k towing with the Volvo and NEVER been pulled over. He really comes across as anti MDT/HDT.

Note that the "commentary" is delivered unseen.  High quality BS can only be delivered when one remains incognito and anonymous. 

23 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Dolly- I might have the inside scoop on the CR and DP mixology....

Another fellow HDT'er with a similar red Volvo and Lil 'ole Cummins that has been parked next to Phil at an event or two gently opens up his Coke can and fills it with the CR.  So Phil may have borrowed the idea....

Or maybe vice versa???

If you happen to make a National rally, said gentleman also has other concoctions in an "Office" fridge.....in his rig.

You talking about me??

Ya, and you have had some of the shine also, so smooth but gets to ya.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 3/9/2017 at 9:21 PM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

You talking about me??

Ya, and you have had some of the shine also, so smooth but gets to ya.

Roger

Yea, I'm talking about you.... 

Between your shine and LD's apple cordials/brandy, there is no reason to be thirsty at any rally!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have one argument for HDT's... Mountains.

We go through Chattanooga twice a year. You look over at the average towering 5th wheel Tupperware pushing a pickup truck down the hill and the driver has a death grip on the wheel, white knuckles etc, ...I'd be screaming like a little girl all the way down waiting for the brakes to fade. I had brakes glaze up and fade in a car going down a hill in San Francisco and I will never forget it.

In Red Flyer we get in the right lane, downshift to 8th and lock it down, jake as needed and very little braking at about 45 mph we never build up any velocity to worry about and we are not in a rush. I think I got up and nuked some lunch last time (I was the passenger).

Same thing going up the other side, you have the power to do the job.

No, it's not a daily driver. Have realistic expectations.

Oh, and finally, yes propaganda; go ahead and try to convince yourself your MDT or HD peecup is on an equal footing with an HDT :rolleyes:

Well I have owned all three versions.

1.  2000 7.3 PSD f 350 single

2. 2005 FL sport truck 300 HP Cat  ROUGH ride and not much more power than PSD

3. 2014 Volvo 630 425 HP

I just returned from Milwaukee to central Nebraska pulling my loaded 8000 pound car trailer with my 2000 Ford PSD into a headwind. It done the job ok but   I sure wished I was in the Volvo. By the way the fuel usage was only 10.8 MPG.

Conclusion was all will do the job but the HDT Volvo is sure nicer

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

33 minutes ago, MsChrissi said:

In Red Flyer we get in the right lane, downshift to 8th and lock it down, jake as needed and very little braking at about 45 mph we never build up any velocity to worry about and we are not in a rush. I think I got up and nuked some lunch last time (I was the passenger).

Had me sweating there for a minute. Thanks for the clarification :D

I came down one of those mountain passes that was just one switch back after another, 4 or 5 of them if I remember right. I told the lady with me that I figured the guy behind us thought I didn't have any brake lights. I know he was riding his brakes , but I never touched mine. Dropped the Freedomline into 9th and let it and the engine brake do ALL the work...the whole way down. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Had me sweating there for a minute. Thanks for the clarification :D

I came down one of those mountain passes that was just one switch back after another, 4 or 5 of them if I remember right. I told the lady with me that I figured the guy behind us thought I didn't have any brake lights. I know he was riding his brakes , but I never touched mine. Dropped the Freedomline into 9th and let it and the engine brake do ALL the work...the whole way down. 

You have that right! Got to love these HDT's. And the view is not too bad from up there unless we are on a bridge, then I have to close my eyes or ask Randi to drive on an inside lane. Now that there are 10 new tires on it I don't worry quite so much.

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

....I just returned from Milwaukee to central Nebraska pulling my loaded 8000 pound car trailer with my 2000 Ford PSD into a headwind. It done the job ok but   I sure wished I was in the Volvo. By the way the fuel usage was only 10.8 MPG.

Conclusion was all will do the job but the HDT Volvo is sure nicer

That was the funny thing about our Volvo, the more we built onto it the better it got, mileage is high 10's now while pulling the minivan on a dolly.

Making the round trip to Florida without refueling is another plus, there are times Missouri fuel is the cheapest.

Archived