MDT/HDT Propaganda

Av8r3400

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By golly.....shucks if ya really want to find about trucking just go listen to a guy with a fleet of trucks.........Tonka Trucks.....

One day I had to fly a friends Luscome 8A from Bend Oregon down to Yontsville CA and I was fueling it at the cardlock when a chap walked up and said....."your not going to try to fly that thing out out of here in that crosswind today are you.....these Luscomes are ground--looping fools you know".......

I smiled and said "well today is the only day that I can get a ride back from California so I don't have time today to ground--loop the old girl today" He replied "well you been warned about the cross wind and that narrow gear -ground--looping old crate".

I said "Well so far I am feeling lucky and you have a nice day".

He cranked up a nice shiny Cessna 172 taxied out to the end of the runway and just about rotation speed veered off the runway and clipped a runway light and crow hopped out into the sage brush and tore the nosewheel off and slid to a stop but the nice cross wind just blew the dust away.......

So you see the chap was right......he proved that indeed a person could ground loop in that cross wind.........so I took off taking care to not ground loop.....

Some folks can talk about the walk.......and some folks can just walk the walk......

So far I haven't ground looped.......yet.....

Drive on.........( so many "Ex-perts"........so few "Facts")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

There is lots in the video to think about. Some of the lifestyle stuff is certainly valid. But some of the characteristics assigned to an HDT are simply not factual. As usual.

I've always said an HDT is not the right choice for some people. Everyone has to make up their own mind if the HDT meets their total lifestyle needs better than a super-pickup (meaning a Dodge 5500 or similar). The pickups are quite capable tow vehicles. And may actually meet someones lifestyle needs better than an HDT.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Was just going to respond when Jack's reply popped up. I would agree with him. The guy in the video doesn't say anything that we haven't thought about or experienced other than some exaggerated weight & braking issues.

To each his own. Most of us have had similar conversations around the campfire.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Agree with Jack and dreamer2. RVing is full of compromises. Sometimes it's the equipment that's a compromise, other times it's our wallets. In the end, we all are free to arrive at our own conclusions.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

According to RVIA fifth wheel production in current years has been about 75K units per year. 1% of that is 750 rigs. Marsha Trautman and New Horizon probably manufacture 100 rigs per year combined. Add to that big DRV rigs and others and I'd say that rigs that truly require HDTs to pull them don't amount to 1% of the fifths manufactured, 99% can be pulled with pickups and are. As Jack says HDTs are not for everyone and not necessary for most.

But there is a crossover point and if you don't recognize it and argue against it, you enter the realm of ignorance and stupidity.

Stupidity is not a developmental issue which is an unfortunate result of faulty biology. No, true stupidity is evidenced by this video of obviously very capable and clever guy, able to do good research and presentation, who can rearrange the facts to suit his narrative and sprinkle in between pure crap to strengthen his point.

Welcome to MSNBC and fake news and used car lot salesmanship delivered in a soothing tone to sound sincere.

Henry, your numbers are off. :)

NH and Spacecraft together produce somewhere in the 50-60 range, at best. :ph34r:

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am glad to see the spirited discussion on the youtube site has just as much misinformation as the video itself. Ah yes, when I really need the real accurate story or information I ALWAYS go to the internet. NOT.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I started towing a 31' 5er with a 3500 Dually Chev. Moved up to a 37' 5er and then a 550 Ford. Then got the Volvo and kept the Volvo and moved up to a 43' 5er. Because I wanted to. After towing with the Volvo I wouldn't tow with anything else. We don't have a Smart so I drive the truck around when we go somewhere. No problem. Shirley didn't drive the 3500 and she sure isn't going to drive the Volvo. As been stated before it is by choice. And people like big trucks. So do I. And Best of all I've got the pink slip!!!! Pat

The Old Sailor

One of the major reasons I'm gravitating to a HDT purchase is something he just glossed over: The fact that even a 3/4 ton LGT is $80,000 or more these days. A 1-ton or larger is even more. To me, that is absolutely ludicrous. That much money for a truck that really isn't capable of controlling my 18k pound 5er makes no sense to me.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

One of the major reasons I'm gravitating to a HDT purchase is something he just glossed over: The fact that even a 3/4 ton LGT is $80,000 or more these days. A 1-ton or larger is even more. To me, that is absolutely ludicrous. That much money for a truck that really isn't capable of controlling my 18k pound 5er makes no sense to me.

I just had a dealer quote a 2017 Chevy dually diesel new off the lot for $57K with most options including 4X4, (no fake news here). I also don't know of any RV dealers that even suggest a HDT for a tow vehicle, way overkill unless you are hauling a spare car on board. That being said in the USA you can drive what you like and if you want a HDT, more power to you. Many people use big vehicles, trucks and SUV's just to commute to work daily, again no problem, it's their choice,

I just now watched the video and the guy was spot on, I didn't hear any false info. I drive a Freightliner during the summer to help my son's small trucking company. I like the comfort of my Chevy 3500 when pulling the fifth wheel. Why do HDT guys always feel they have to justify their rigs, they just sound foolish. Why can't they just admit they want a big truck to drive and leave it at that???

Greg

Bet I could change his mind .Put an hdt next to a pic up both with the same trailers. Pull the power plug get up to sixty mph and see who stops the fastest. I am sure he would be buying some new under wear. After he has had the ==scared out of him. To each his own.

Really!!

I just had a dealer quote a 2017 Chevy dually diesel new off the lot for $57K with most options including 4X4, (no fake news here). I also don't know of any RV dealers that even suggest a HDT for a tow vehicle, way overkill unless you are hauling a spare car on board. That being said in the USA you can drive what you like and if you want a HDT, more power to you. Many people use big vehicles, trucks and SUV's just to commute to work daily, again no problem, it's their choice,

I just now watched the video and the guy was spot on, I didn't hear any false info. I drive a Freightliner during the summer to help my son's small trucking company. I like the comfort of my Chevy 3500 when pulling the fifth wheel. Why do HDT guys always feel they have to justify their rigs, they just sound foolish. Why can't they just admit they want a big truck to drive and leave it at that???

Greg

well I kindly disagree with that. They are several of us that simply have too much pin weight for a ldt. I tried it and terrible ride with suspension overloaded. Power was never a problem. I must admit a long bed dually is a terrible daily commute also. Try parking one in a filled parking lot. I do this daily.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

well I kindly disagree with that. They are several of us that simply have too much pin weight for a ldt. I tried it and terrible ride with suspension overloaded. Power was never a problem. I must admit a long bed dually is a terrible daily commute also. Try parking one in a filled parking lot. I do this daily.

We park our dually in crowded parking lots often (I was at Kroger's yesterday and the bank drive thru with it last Friday) and in the parking garage of the convention center last month for an RV show. The length of my crew cab is more of a parking issue than the width.

Safe travels everyone. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

For me the decision was pretty simple. I pulled my 20k lb. Mobile Suites with an F450. It pulled it ok but lots of downshifting and turbo in the mountains of East Tennesee. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that constant downshift and strain can't add to the longevity of the transmission. Second reason, a couple of emergency stops from highway speeds and things got interesting. So for a reasonable price I went to an HDT. Again as said above its not for everyone and what we tow with should always be an individual decision based on cost, safety, and conditions we will be towing under. BTW I really liked my 450 and I could park it in most lots easily. My only dislike was the 6.4l motor. I recently bought a Ram 2500 diesel loaded and must say best deal still was north of $55k, but I keep most trucks 15 years or so.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It's all about the level of compromise you wish to tolerate.

I got rid of my F-350 as a daily driver, and now have an F-150 for my work truck. The Volvo is used only for pulling the trailer. I have less in my half ton (2015 Lariat 4wd) and Volvo than I would have in a late model F-450/4500 etc., and don't have to drive a log wagon every day.

But that's what works for me, perhaps not what works for many.

And I have experienced a brake controller failure, in a town with hills and traffic lights. With 21k pushing, it was no fun, even in an HDT.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived