Smart cars and cross winds.

Heavymetal

Picked up the Smart today and drove it back from Dallas (180miles) with a 20 mph cross wind and rain. The car drives great and really has plenty of power but man it hates cross winds, they blew me all over the Hwy. I don't think that I would like to make a trip much further then 200 miles in the car though it is a little rough riding.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

The wind will push you around a bit. These little cars have a small foot print and they're light weight. Cross winds and buffeting from trucks will keep you busy at the steering wheel. I don't think much about it anymore. With over 105,000 miles on my Smart, I just expect it and roll on. Fun little cars to drive.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

The wind will push you around a bit. These little cars have a small foot print and they're light weight. Cross winds and buffeting from trucks will keep you busy at the steering wheel. I don't think much about it anymore. With over 105,000 miles on my Smart, I just expect it and roll on. Fun little cars to drive.

The car drove great! It just got pushed around a lot. I swore I would never ride in one let alone buy one but it is a nice "little" car.

2 Great Danes

I have found that if the alignment is not spot on, the wind will have its way with you. If it is well aligned, you will feel the pushes but it shouldn't steer you all over.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

It really feels more like it moves around more than it actually does. I know that sounds nutz but it's the only way I can explain it.

At least it stays in the lane since the lane is sooo big! ??

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Howdy!

The new 2016 and 2017 handle the cross winds a lot better. Especially the buffering behind large 18 wheelers.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

It doesn't over steer due to the wind it gets pushed side ways so you end up over steering to come back to center lane. I am sure once I get use to the car it won't happen but for the first drive it caught me off guard. I'm not sure what the wind gust were maybe 25-30 so it was really blowing. I was going to just load it on the truck but they shipped the wrong ramps to us, they charge us for the correct ones but sent the hook on instead of the plate.

2 Great Danes

About like the old VW Beatles in a crosswind.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I was going to just load it on the truck but they shipped the wrong ramps to us, they charge us for the correct ones but sent the hook on instead of the plate.

Exactly which set of ramps did you get? I have the Big Boys II ramps. They came with "hook on" plates to mount to the body of the truck. I don't usually use them because I drilled the flat plate at the top of each ramp with 5/8" holes that penetrate the bed and then I drop bolts through them and put on nuts on the underside so they cannot hop up during loading and unloading.

There have been a couple of times that it was handy to have these hookon ramp pieces. One was just this past January when I had a crookedly loaded car that would not line up exactly right to offload. The Hookon pieces are also drilled but allow me the flexibility to offset my ramps a bit to line up with the car. I Still pin them down but use ratchet straps to hold the ramps down into the groove so it cannot slip out or jump up.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I find my 2016 barely notices the wind....and believe me, in the Valley we have WIND. My 2012 was a handful, though. The difference is the electronic stability control in the 453 series.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Exactly which set of ramps did you get? I have the Big Boys II ramps. They came with "hook on" plates to mount to the body of the truck. I don't usually use them because I drilled the flat plate at the top of each ramp with 5/8" holes that penetrate the bed and then I drop bolts through them and put on nuts on the underside so they cannot hop up during loading and unloading.

There have been a couple of times that it was handy to have these hookon ramp pieces. One was just this past January when I had a crookedly loaded car that would not line up exactly right to offload. The Hookon pieces are also drilled but allow me the flexibility to offset my ramps a bit to line up with the car. I Still pin them down but use ratchet straps to hold the ramps down into the groove so it cannot slip out or jump up.

I received the ones with just the little hook on the end no plate at all. They had the correct ones listed on the packing list but sent the wrong ones. I called and they offered to send the mount for the hook type but wanted me to pay for it! I told them to send me the mount and credit me for the $100 difference in the ramps or send the correct ones and pay the freight to pick up the incorrect ones. They chose to send the correct ramps.

2 Great Danes

I find this true also. My 13 was a handful. This 16 is rather stable.

I thought I researched the Smart fairly well but maybe I did not! I never saw a post about the 2016 and newer being more stable on the road or I would have purchased one.

2 Great Danes

Has anyone heard about trailer hitches for the 2016-17 smarts ??

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I thought I researched the Smart fairly well but maybe I did not! I never saw a post about the 2016 and newer being more stable on the road or I would have purchased one.

Are you still running those skinny tires on the front? I get a lot less wind interference since I changed wheels and tires.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Are you still running those skinny tires on the front? I get a lot less wind interference since I changed wheels and tires.

Ya! I just picked it yesterday and it has the original tires on it. What size did you put on yours?

2 Great Danes

I went to 175 on front (old rear size) and 195 on front. Original rims. They fit.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

There is still no hitch one can buy.

They have a curt hitch for the smart for two on eBay for $124. The store is trends auto on eBay.

2 Great Danes

Archived