Slide Out Mech

apopj

Does anyone have opinions on which is the best type of Slide Out mechanism on an RV. After watching lots of videos, there seems to be a few that seem better than others, but would like to know what the group things. I am curious as to which is the most reliable, best seal, least maintenance required. Thanks for the help...

Jeff and Diane

HouselessNotHomeless

I support the "Thin Blue Line"

My hwh system has had only two failures in 14 years/ 108k miles. A couple of screws came lose in the bedroom slide ram several years ago (I was able to fix it), and two years ago I had to replace the electric motor that runs the hydraulic pump.

As for the seal, that will depend on the rv mfger.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We have had the lippert hydraulic system on two 5th wheels since 2006, four slides with not a single problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have had both electric and hydraulic (HWH). The electric is much slower, but far less to go wrong with it. Both have been trouble free for me.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

I"ve had both. The electric rack N gear has inherent problems that are simple to repair most of the time; if the owner has a basic knowledge of mechanics. I prefer hydraulic systems, they are practically maintenance-free and have very few problems; hydraulic rams have been in use for many decades with industrial and farm equipment. This system is so trouble-free, there have been very few changes in design to correct a problem area.

The main reason many RV mfgrs. have gone to electric is lower initial cost, which equals selling an RV for less than other RV mfgrs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived