Pantech Modem or Jetpack MiFi with WiFiRanger?

I've been upgrading my WiFi in my motorhome and am now running a WiFiRanger SkyPro. I also use a Verizon Jetpack 6620L MiFi device. When I can't find a good open WiFi I use my SkyPro to attach to the Jetpack for my internet access.

But I have in my parts bin a near new Pantech UML290VW modem. I could very easily remove the SIM card from the Jetpack, install it in the UML290, and use that for access to my Verizon data plan.

Now that I have the new unlimited VZW plan, I probably will use that more than open sites. So would there be anything gained or lost by using the MiFi SIM card in the modem, instead of in the JetPack MiFi device?

Thanks for your insights!

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Are you tethering the Mifi to the Sky or a router like a GO2? Every wireless hop will result in at least some decrease in speed. Whether that will make much of a difference in performance will depend on the speed of the source and what you are trying to do over the connection. If both the modem and the Mifi are connected directly (tethered) to your Sky or a router like a GO2, I doubt there will be that much of a difference, although I did notice that my Pantech cellphone (even tethered) does not seem to perform as well as my old Pantech mifi. It seems that there is at least some difference in the performance of various pieces of hardware. I would try doing some speed tests using both and see what results you get.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

When I was trying to use a Pantech MiFi, my transfer speeds were faster using a wireless connection than over a dongle cable. Pantech was working on that issue when I gave up on the MiiFi because of cooking batteries while on the dongle cable.

I moved the SIM to a Pantech ULM295 modem. No concerns over batteries, no wireless hop.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The Pantech UML290VW is a fairly old device and only supports LTE band 13 (700MHZ), while the 6620L supports both band 4 and 13. That means there are locations the 6620L will have LTE or faster LTE than the UML290.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I guess my electronic stuff is suffering the same malady I am -- advancing age. Oh well... guess I'll keep using the JetPack to pick up both bands.

Thanks for the replies.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Archived