Idyllwild, CA

Jonathan55

Last year I drove from a Friends house in Redlands, CA up to Big Bear Lake in a 21 foot motorhome. The drive up was, for me, mostly a white knuckle experience. Tight turns and a sheer drop on one side. Like driving east from Oatman, AZ but longer.

I decided to take what looked like a longer drive back down and it was easy, only a few tight turns, longs straightaways, trees and level ground on both sides and it also ended up in Redlands. Way more fun!

Both routes would have been fun in my old MGB.

I want to visit Idyllwild, CA this year and thought I'd ask first this time. What is the drive up like? It seems to be about the same altitude. Can I drive from Banning?

Thanks for any thoughts on Idyllwild,

Jonathan

243 south from Banning and 74 west from Palm Springs towards Idylwild both have tight turns and steep dropoffs during the mountain ascent. If these bother you, go in from Temecula in the southwest using 79 to 371 to 74. That direction is a more gentle plateau and you'll go right past the Escapees Jojoba Hills co-op in Aguanga if you want to stay there for a night or two.

• 4 months later...
On 3/3/2017 at 6:21 PM, Lou Schneider said:

243 south from Banning and 74 west from Palm Springs towards Idylwild both have tight turns and steep dropoffs during the mountain ascent. If these bother you, go in from Temecula in the southwest using 79 to 371 to 74. That direction is a more gentle plateau and you'll go right past the Escapees Jojoba Hills co-op in Aguanga if you want to stay there for a night or two.

I forgot to say: Thanks for the answer Lou! 

I will try that this fall and look at the park in Temecula which looks like a fun town.

Archived